Chromebook - Mobile Data

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
So, what do you use for mobile data on your Chromebook when you are outside the range of wifi?

Some people are lucky to have an LTE modem on their Chromebook built-in. Unfortunately, this is not an option on all Chromebooks.

Other people use a dedicated hot spot that runs off a mobile data plan (with no voice or text messages included).

However, I think most people tether data off of their smartphone.

What is your experience like? Have you encountered any drawbacks in the method you use?

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I use tethering for one main reason. I don't want to pay for two separate data plans.

That makes sense to just keep one data plan. Does tethering excessively drain the battery on your phone? Is there any noticeable difference in the data connection when you compare tethering to wifi?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I tether to my Nexus 5 on T-Mobile, with 3 GB of tethering available per month. No excessive battery drain on the phone, and the connection is typically much better than any public wi-fi (as long as the phone is getting good signal).

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I tether to my Nexus 5 on T-Mobile, with 3 GB of tethering available per month. No excessive battery drain on the phone, and the connection is typically much better than any public wi-fi (as long as the phone is getting good signal).

The Nexus 5 is an excellent choice to use as a mobile hot spot because it's unlocked and it doesn't have carrier bloatware.

T-Mobile offers great plans. Which one do you have? I see there's a $60/month plan that includes 3 GB of LTE data on the T-Mobile website.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm grandfathered into the previous $70/month unlimited data plan. This limits me to 3 GB/month of tethering. I think the current unlimited data plan is $80/month, but that comes with 5 GB/month of tethering.