Chromebook NUB

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The idea of cloud computing has always been of interest to me. The Windows 8.1 OS is often frustrating to me because of the issues that I am having with it such as keyboard and mousing disappearing after updates and having to resolve conflicts. Right now, I have a Galaxy S tablet and a Nexus 6 phone.

Which Chromebook would you recommend for:

1. Internet surfing.
2. Google docs and slide creation.
3. Basic photo editing.
4. Wifi
5. Video streaming (Youtube and other)

I have my Galaxy tablet right now, but do not like the bluetooth keyboard options that are out. I would prefer something with a more normal keyboard. .

I do use Adobe Illustrator, Lightroom and Photoshop but, they are not used that often and I have a desktop that can handle that.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The least amount possible but, i also want something that will last for the next 2 years. I really do not need much in the way of storage space. As it is, I store a lot of what I do in the cloud now with my Google drive.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The best one currently IMO is the Toshiba 13". Amazon.com: Toshiba CB35-B3340 13.3-Inch Chromebook 2 (Full-HD Screen): Computers & Accessories at $309 (as of today)
For $150 less, the Acer C670 is still a very solid model: Amazon.com: Acer Chromebook 11 CB3-111-C670 (11.6-inch HD, 2GB, 16GB): Computers & Accessories at $155 (as of today)

I personally have the HP Chromebook 11, which is a fantastic device, but the hardware is pretty dated. I love it, but I think there are better values for most people.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
The best one currently IMO is the Toshiba 13". Amazon.com: Toshiba CB35-B3340 13.3-Inch Chromebook 2 (Full-HD Screen): Computers & Accessories at $309 (as of today)
For $150 less, the Acer C670 is still a very solid model: Amazon.com: Acer Chromebook 11 CB3-111-C670 (11.6-inch HD, 2GB, 16GB): Computers & Accessories at $155 (as of today)

I personally have the HP Chromebook 11, which is a fantastic device, but the hardware is pretty dated. I love it, but I think there are better values for most people.

Thank you for the response. Do you find yourself using the Chromebook more often than the laptop? It seems to me, that the Chromebook does 99% of what an average consumer would do. I would consider just getting a keyboard for my tablet and using it that way but, the keyboards that I have seen are not ones that I liked.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the response. Do you find yourself using the Chromebook more often than the laptop? It seems to me, that the Chromebook does 99% of what an average consumer would do. I would consider just getting a keyboard for my tablet and using it that way but, the keyboards that I have seen are not ones that I liked.

I use mine primarily for school and for messing around at home. I have a pretty killer desktop set up that I do most things on, so the Chromebook is more of a school tool and home toy for me. I can't think of anything that I want to do except for gaming that it can't do. There are either web apps or chrome apps for just about anything you can think of, including Photoshop, Office, etc. When I had a laptop I usually left it on a desk and treated it like a computer. The Chromebook I can take anywhere and always have a full experience at things that sometimes Tablets and Phones mishandle (like forums moderating).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have an Acer C720 (11.6", Haswell CPU, 2 GB RAM, 16 GB SSD) and an HP Chromebook 14 (14", Haswell CPU, 4 GB RAM, 32 GB SSD), and they both perform admirably. You can sometimes still find these models on sale refurbished for $200 or less (my HP is a refurb, and works great). The C720 is very lightweight, and I think its processor is supposed to be even a little faster than the CB3/C670's (with a tradeoff on power usage).

The vast majority of computer stuff I do is on the web--AC forum posting (which I've been known to do on occasion ;) ), productivity with Google Docs/Sheets, Gmail, Calendar, etc. So I estimate that I use my Windows 8.1 desktop maybe 5% of the time, for the few things I really can't do on the Chromebook (like logging in remotely to my workplace's electronic medical record).

I also have 2013 Nexus 7, and I've found that I use that much less now as well. Tablets still aren't that great for productivity, since you really need a physical keyboard for big documents, and like you, I've had trouble finding a BT keyboard that works well. And web browsers on tablets will always be slower than Chrome on a Chromebook. The main thing the tablet is still much better for is gaming.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I also have 2013 Nexus 7, and I've found that I use that much less now as well. Tablets still aren't that great for productivity, since you really need a physical keyboard for big documents, and like you, I've had trouble finding a BT keyboard that works well. And web browsers on tablets will always be slower than Chrome on a Chromebook. The main thing the tablet is still much better for is gaming.

^^ Listen to B. Diddy you should. Very wise, he is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze