Buy a Chromebook now or wait for a future one?

a7m

May 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm looking into Chromebooks. (but also considering the next Surface Pro) I had the Samsung 2012 Chromebook. I loved it but I needed something with more power so I switched to a Macbook Pro. I haven't used the MBP for what I thought I would and really am doing almost everything that can be done on a Chromebook. I love Chrome OS over OS X so am ready to switch if I can find the right Chromebook.

However, I want a Chromebook that I can use as my work laptop for a day when I need to. I do everything (work and personal) in the cloud and am a heavy Google user. When I work I have 8-10 tabs open in Chrome at a time. When I did that on the Samsung Chromebook things became sluggish so i'm apprehensive about the current Chromebooks out there.

It seems like all the Chromebooks (except the Pixal) still don't have the processing power I need or am I wrong? Also worried about a huge downgrade from what I have grown use to on the MBP...great keyboard, trackpad, and screen.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The Chromebook isn't designed for the same market as the MBP, or most Windows laptops.

As far as waiting - there's always going to be a better one, so if we wait for the best one, we'll still be waiting when we die. At some point you have to make a decision.

Is the current Chromebook adequate for your needs? If not, don't buy it. Go to a store that has computers running that you can try out. Try out all the Chromebooks. (If I can't run Firefox with at least 30 tabs open, it would take me months to relearn how to work.)

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
For 8-10 tabs, most Chromebooks will be fine, but remember that you're going to be downgrading from a device that's over a thousand dollars in price to something with a much more modest price tag. There are Chromebooks with decent keyboards (I love the keyboard on my Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 11e Chromebook), there are Chromebooks with decent screens (the newer Toshibas), and there are Chromebooks with decent trackpads (or touchscreens, such as my Yoga).

Check your refund window, buy a Chromebook you think you'd like, and if you don't like it after X days, return it and keep on with your MBP. You'll never really know until you try, and Chromebooks pleasantly surprise a lot of people, especially for their work needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463