Questions about Chromebook and cloud computing

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
After yet another 10 hour nightmare marathon dealing with my husbands winblows laptop issues, im trying to convince him to migrate to Chromebook. I spend most of my day on a rooted Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 and honestly find there is very little I can't do with it. I still have a. HP Win 7 Pro All-in-one for some biz stuff. But I really so prefer the Android environment.

My questions/concerns are how easily accessible are various cloud services. Other than Google Drive,how easy would Dropbox, One Cloud, Box, etc be on a Chromebook.

Also, can chromebooks be rooted to add features and flexibilities?

Does ChromeOS feel like Android.

I'm looking at an ASUS 11.3" Chromebook on Amazon for $169 as an entry point

That's for any insights

dullgeek

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
You can access dropbox via their web interface. I don't use one cloud, but imagine it's the same way. By far google drive is the easiest to use from a chromebook.

Yes chromebooks can be rooted... sorta. In chrome OS it's called "developer mode". And you can do all kinds of wonderful and dangerous things therein. The one that I've used is installing a distribution of linux called crouton which can run simultaneous with chrome os. There's a lot of fun stuff you can do with crouton. Like run a native skype application or run wine and then run a few windows applications that wine supports.

I do not think that chromeos feels like android. What it feels like is google chrome browser. Imagine starting up your windows laptop and booting into the google chrome browser. Anything you can do on there is what you can do on chromeos. There are a few additional things that you can do, like taking screenshots and managing files and storage. But for the most part it's just like logging into a device that runs google chrome web browser.