What's the market for high end Chromebooks?

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I see Chromebooks at prices in excess of $800 (if not, definitely a $700 model). That is in the lines of current gen-iPad/good laptop territory. What do folks do with these high end CB that they couldn't just get a laptop? Is it just a device that can run higher end software better while retaining all the niceties that CB still offer? Are there software and services that's either only on Chrome OS, or better on it, but still requires high end specs (at least for a CB anyways)?

I have a low-end CB (HP Chromebook 14), and while I could see myself making use of 32GB+ of storage (instead of 16 GB... it's nice to know it's there even if it doesn't actually get used), 4GB of RAM (instead of 2 GB... I've gotten "out of memory" error messages), and faster processor (again, nice to know it's there, if not make things run even faster), I'd be more inclined to get a "solid laptop" at that price.

Last edited:

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So I recently picked up the current Pixel off of eBay for about $750. I've been using a Toshiba Chromebook 2 for over a year and really liked it. Since my work has recently adopted Windows 365 I can access all of my files and do the basic editing/doc creation I need to using the online windows apps. And of course for personal use Google Apps are all I need.
My school age kids had basically commandeered the Toshiba and I couldn't take it when I travel for work, so I was in the market for something new. Since a chromebook does virtually everything i need, and does it well, I opted to get the best hardware I could, with crazy good battery life, because that really matters to me. No need to compromise on hardware quality or stability or price with a windows or Mac when the Chromebook Pixel does what I need, does it extreme well, and should last me a lot longer than the other options.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
IMO, any Chromebook over $500 is a niche product.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

dianehelen

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I cant see where an $800 chromebook can do any thing any better than my $169 Acer Chromebook. Will Chromebook ever be a replacement for a fulller computer, I dont think so. But other than my business desktop/all in one, I spend most of my leasure time on either my Chromebook, or my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014. Between them, I have access to everything I need.

I agree that an $800 chromebook is a niche market.

ackmondual

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
So I recently picked up the current Pixel off of eBay for about $750. I've been using a Toshiba Chromebook 2 for over a year and really liked it. Since my work has recently adopted Windows 365 I can access all of my files and do the basic editing/doc creation I need to using the online windows apps. And of course for personal use Google Apps are all I need.
My school age kids had basically commandeered the Toshiba and I couldn't take it when I travel for work, so I was in the market for something new. Since a chromebook does virtually everything i need, and does it well, I opted to get the best hardware I could, with crazy good battery life, because that really matters to me. No need to compromise on hardware quality or stability or price with a windows or Mac when the Chromebook Pixel does what I need, does it extreme well, and should last me a lot longer than the other options.

And you honestly couldn't do this with a Chromebook that was say.... $400 or less?

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Of course I could. That's one of the great things about chromebooks. The pixel just does it all better.

CHIP72

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Of course I could. That's one of the great things about chromebooks. The pixel just does it all better.

I personally think the Dell Chromebook 13 (personal disclosure - I own this model and think it is great) would have been a more cost-effective purchase, but you obviously can't go wrong with the Pixel 2.

freeoscar

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes it would be. This was a total self indulgent splurge. I'm on my laptop all day so I convinced myself that it was worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21