Tiny Chrome symbols on icons

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody know what these tiny chrome symbols are on the lower-right corner of my chromebook icons? The symbols are on most Google apps, on the shelf and in the "all apps" section. Chrome, Drive, Maps, Youtube, etc. Only Google app without the symbol is Keep.

I'm using an Asus Flip, but I imagine this is not specific to that model so putting this in the general chromebook section. I am on the Dev channel to play with Android apps, but I'm pretty sure I had this happen once before on the Stable channel. Not noticing any "problems" just not sure what the symbols mean. I've rebooted and they're still there.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 27300.jpg
    27300.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 33

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never seen that on the Stable channel. My guess is that this will be used to differentiate Chrome OS apps from Android apps. Perhaps Android apps that are pinned to the shelf with have a little bugdroid icon at the lower right.

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I was pretty sure I'd seen the symbols once before on stable, but I could be mistaken on the timeframe. You could be on to something regarding the differentiation between Chrome OS and Android apps, I know that question has been raised a few times. But I've just been trying a few Android apps and then uninstalling, the only Android app I have installed right now is MX Player. All other apps are Chrome OS and it's so puzzling that all "Google" branded Chrome apps have the symbol EXCEPT for Keep. "Stock" apps such as Camera and Files do not have the symbol, nor do installed Chrome apps such as VLC and Chrome Connectivity Diagnostics.

Again, not causing me problems but just curious. I've Googled it using every descriptive term I can think of, but have never come up with more than alternate Chrome icons or questions about the "head" icon for multiple user accounts. Thanks for your input though, B. Diddy!

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Just listened to AC Podcast 295, near the end of the episode they had an email or twitter question about this (not from me). Phil & the guys were pretty sure it was a way to designate Chrome apps vs Android apps, and that really makes a lot of sense the more I think about it. The only thing that's still puzzling is at least one Chrome app, Google Keep, did not have the symbol even though I had never installed the Android version. Other apps that did not have the symbol were just basic Asus apps without an Android variant available. The Google Keep thing must've just been one of the bugs they'll have to get worked out.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, thanks for the update! Google Keep on Chrome OS is one of those standalone desktop apps (that opens in its own smaller window), so I wonder if they might prevent you from installing the Android version of Keep. Can you see if other standalone Chrome OS apps (like Weatherbug) also lack the little icon?

anon(181017)

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I had noticed that Keep only opened as a standalone app, with no option to open as a Chrome window/tab, but hadn't made that connection. I just got this (my first Chromebook) a couple weeks before the Play Store was added, so I'm still learning the nuances of Chrome OS itself as well.

I switched back to Dev channel to experiment a little more, and the first thing I noticed is that the Chrome icon did not have the little symbol any more, like you can see in my first post. Everything else appeared the same as before. I also confirmed that standalone Chrome OS apps, such as Weatherbug, do not have the symbol. So I think you are correct on that B. Diddy.

I also installed Google Keep from the Play Store, and it did let me install it. So now I have "Google Keep" the Chrome OS app and "Keep" the Android app. Still no Chrome symbol on the chrome one. They are definitely unique apps in unique environments, the Android version appears like it does on a tablet or phone with the "take a note" widget at the bottom of the app vs at the top of the window for the Chrome app.

It's definitely interesting to play around with, thanks for your feedback B. Diddy!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This is all good to know--thanks for testing it out! Enjoy your Chromebook--I've become a rabid fan ever since my first one a couple of years ago.:p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781