I am planning to switch to chromebook from a mac(and sell my ipad) and here is one of few question i have

How powerful is file manager on chromebook?
    1. will I be able to do advanced file management on it?
    2. how easy is it to copy/paste files to&from an android device
    3. if the file manager is weak will the android file manager app solve the problem? btw I use Solid explorer. is it any good on chromebook?
    4. how easy is it to create/open files on chromebook local storage?
    5. any addition thoughts?
    07-13-2016 09:22 PM
    Plugging in an android now...hang on.
    07-13-2016 10:27 PM
    It looks like the file manager can at least see the exact files that Solid can.
    07-13-2016 10:29 PM
    Here is a screenshot of both...File manager on Chromebook-1468463452330.jpg
    07-13-2016 10:30 PM
    This is honestly the first time I have done anything like this. While the file manager can see all the files, you can't do a copy paste from a phone to a chromebook. I could back up those files to Google Drive, but that is about it. I didn't try a reverse.

I have a Chromebook, Chromebox, Windows 10, and a Linux PC. Lately, I have been using Linux a little more often (but to be fair, I just built it a couple weeks ago. The whole 'Ohh, shiny!' factor is still there...lol)
    If I want to browse the forums and nothing else save for looking over some Google documents, I go to either the Chromebox/book. If I have things that I am going to transfer, save, modify, etc...I turn to Linux.

Are you thinking of just web surfing with the new Chromebook?
    07-13-2016 10:40 PM
    This is honestly the first time I have done anything like this. While the file manager can see all the files, you can't do a copy paste from a phone to a chromebook. I could back up those files to Google Drive, but that is about it. I didn't try a reverse.

I have a Chromebook, Chromebox, Windows 10, and a Linux PC. Lately, I have been using Linux a little more often (but to be fair, I just built it a couple weeks ago. The whole 'Ohh, shiny!' factor is still there...lol)
    If I want to browse the forums and nothing else save for looking over some Google documents, I go to either the Chromebox/book. If I have things that I am going to transfer, save, modify, etc...I turn to Linux.

Are you thinking of just web surfing with the new Chromebook?
    Thanks for for doing this for me. I would do web browsing for 99% of the time but i also want a full file manager to manage my file.

So if i connect my Nexus 6p i wont be able to copy files from phone-->chromebook or chromebook-->phone?

where u able to do this by installing Solid explorer on chromebook from play store?
    07-15-2016 11:55 PM
    Thanks for for doing this for me. I would do web browsing for 99% of the time but i also want a full file manager to manage my file.
    When I plug my Nex5X in (or any other device) there are prompts to back them up and they go to Google cloud (Photos as I recall....I don't connect a phone to my Chromebook/box often). As an FYI, Chromebooks are relatively small for physical storage. I have 16 GB on both Chrome OS devices and there is about 9 GB remaining out of the box.

So if i connect my Nexus 6p i wont be able to copy files from phone-->chromebook or chromebook-->phone?
    phone>Chromebook is like I said above...to a degree. Chromebook>phone didn't seem possible to me. Or, at least it wasn't blatantly obvious.

where u able to do this by installing Solid explorer on chromebook from play store?
    My Chromebook isn't going to get the Playstore update. It's not on the list of compatible devices. What I did do was installed Solid on my Note5 and compared the list to what the Chromebook could see, and the 2 lists were the same.

If you are trying to reduce your devices, but still want to have a computer be able to have a physical backup of your phone files, you will still need a PC. To you, or anyone else reading this, don't take this as a complaint, nitpick, negative opinion about Chromebooks. I like them. They are fast (they boot up faster than my Linux PC.) lightweight, rarely have issues...and when they do, reboot the Chromebook. That fixes them 99% of the time.

What I have put myself in the habit of is this: before I fire up a device, I decide what I am going to do first. If backing up files is in the cards, I fire up a full PC. If I have no plans on that, my Chromebox gets the nod. If I can't decide, I usually fire up the Chromebox. My Chromebook is very battery friendly. On a full charge, I can have a Hangout video call for an hour and lose roughly 25% of the battery.

P.S. If I seemed to interchange Chromebook and Chromebox in any of my posts, it's due to me having both. They are so similar, and that can be chalked up to a good thing. There is no UI difference between the two.
    still1 likes this.
    07-16-2016 10:30 AM
    I was using ES file Explorer on the flip and other Android devices, works good. To get between devices I put the files on a network share, apple time capsule.
    07-17-2016 09:37 AM
    When I plug my Nex5X in (or any other device) there are prompts to back them up and they go to Google cloud (Photos as I recall....I don't connect a phone to my Chromebook/box often). As an FYI, Chromebooks are relatively small for physical storage. I have 16 GB on both Chrome OS devices and there is about 9 GB remaining out of the box.

phone>Chromebook is like I said above...to a degree. Chromebook>phone didn't seem possible to me. Or, at least it wasn't blatantly obvious.

My Chromebook isn't going to get the Playstore update. It's not on the list of compatible devices. What I did do was installed Solid on my Note5 and compared the list to what the Chromebook could see, and the 2 lists were the same.

If you are trying to reduce your devices, but still want to have a computer be able to have a physical backup of your phone files, you will still need a PC. To you, or anyone else reading this, don't take this as a complaint, nitpick, negative opinion about Chromebooks. I like them. They are fast (they boot up faster than my Linux PC.) lightweight, rarely have issues...and when they do, reboot the Chromebook. That fixes them 99% of the time.

What I have put myself in the habit of is this: before I fire up a device, I decide what I am going to do first. If backing up files is in the cards, I fire up a full PC. If I have no plans on that, my Chromebox gets the nod. If I can't decide, I usually fire up the Chromebox. My Chromebook is very battery friendly. On a full charge, I can have a Hangout video call for an hour and lose roughly 25% of the battery.

P.S. If I seemed to interchange Chromebook and Chromebox in any of my posts, it's due to me having both. They are so similar, and that can be chalked up to a good thing. There is no UI difference between the two.
    ty
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    07-18-2016 01:30 PM
    Hello,
    How do you manage to access Chromebook folders and files from your smartphone?
    I can not configure Solid to do this.
    Thanks. Best regards.
    01-08-2017 05:12 AM
    Hello,
    How do you manage to access Chromebook folders and files from your smartphone?
    I can not configure Solid to do this.
    Thanks. Best regards.
    01-08-2017 05:13 AM
    I am planning to switch to chromebook from a mac(and sell my ipad) and here is one of few question i have

How powerful is file manager on chromebook?
    1. will I be able to do advanced file management on it?
    Not sure... can you elaborate, or provide some examples? The most I do with any file manager (Windows, Unix, iOS, Android, Palm OS) is to list files, show data like size, categorize them by file type. I've always thought that was just basic stuff.

2. how easy is it to copy/paste files to&from an android device
    Yes. Selecting the desired file, then pressing Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V still work here like with Windows.

3. if the file manager is weak will the android file manager app solve the problem? btw I use Solid explorer. is it any good on chromebook?
    Don't know. I've never used the file manager on a phone to deal with the file manager of the CB, and vice versa.

4. how easy is it to create/open files on chromebook local storage?
    Fairly easy. It's about the same as with Windows. Right click --> New Folder, or there should be a button to click for that. Opening files is just double clicking them.

5. any addition thoughts?
    I don't know if I could give up a PC, as I still use it for other programs. However, I really do enjoy web surfing and using Google office on my Chromebook.
    still1 likes this.
    03-09-2017 01:43 PM