I can't get smart lock/bluetooth on my chromebook to work with my s8?

A

AC Question

For probably about a month, I had my chromebook set up to unlock with my phone (the s8 running android 7.0). One day, out of nowhere, it stopped working. Yes, both of my devices were connected to bluetooth and wifi. They were directly next to each other every time I tried unlocking my chromebook. So, today, I tried deleting the pair made between my devices and setting smart lock up over again. When I tried connecting the two with bluetooth, the first step of the process, the chromebook wouldn't even recognize my phone's existence. No matter how many times I tried, my chromebook wouldn't be able to see or connect to my phone. I tried it the other way around, too, because my chromebook would pop up on my phone, but every time I tried pairing them it would give me the message "failed to connect". I mean, It's not life and death that I'm able to use smart lock on my chromebook, it's just so much faster.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Did either of the devices get an update recently? That would be my first choice of cause. Baring that, isolate each device and determine whether BT and wifi are working. When you say the Book can't see the S8, that would indicate the S8 is not set as visible, which would be reinforced when you say the S8 can see the Book but won't connect. Trouble shooting is isolate, determine good or bad, determine problem, isolate fix. I have also asked that your post be moved the Chromebook forum for more help.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Cam_neely

May 28, 2013
Visit site
For probably about a month, I had my chromebook set up to unlock with my phone (the s8 running android 7.0). One day, out of nowhere, it stopped working. Yes, both of my devices were connected to bluetooth and wifi. They were directly next to each other every time I tried unlocking my chromebook. So, today, I tried deleting the pair made between my devices and setting smart lock up over again. When I tried connecting the two with bluetooth, the first step of the process, the chromebook wouldn't even recognize my phone's existence. No matter how many times I tried, my chromebook wouldn't be able to see or connect to my phone. I tried it the other way around, too, because my chromebook would pop up on my phone, but every time I tried pairing them it would give me the message "failed to connect". I mean, It's not life and death that I'm able to use smart lock on my chromebook, it's just so much faster.

I have the exact same thing happening with my S8. Did you find a solution?

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I just tried with my Acer Chromebook 14 - same issue as others here. Prior phone (Moto G5 Plus) connected just fine and was able to use it to unlock the Chromebook. Something to do with BT 5.0 maybe??

tonyinorlando

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I just tried with my Acer Chromebook 14 - same issue as others here. Prior phone (Moto G5 Plus) connected just fine and was able to use it to unlock the Chromebook. Something to do with BT 5.0 maybe??

Ever since my Acer Chromebook 14 was updated on 10/13, I can no longer connect my N6p via bluetooth either. I do, however, have access to the Play Store now so I'll live with entering my password to access my Chromebook for now.

bstringy

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Ever since my Acer Chromebook 14 was updated on 10/13, I can no longer connect my N6p via bluetooth either. I do, however, have access to the Play Store now so I'll live with entering my password to access my Chromebook for now.

Having the same issue Acer Chromebook 14 and Galaxy S8.

CADVID80

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
Same here. Trying like hell to connect Pixel XL 2 to Asus Chromebook Flip C302. They show in both devices BT lists, I hit pair and it shows the matching code, I hit pair again on both devices then for a brief moment the Chromebook shows as connected but then I get a pop up saying failed to connect. Tried rebooting both devices, forgetting and adding again, nothing works. Just want to be able to use the smart lock feature instead of entering PW every time.

pmp6nl

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue with a S8 and Samsung Chromebook Plus. Seems to be a bug or something. It works some times, but mostly doesn't. Anyone find a resolution?

trgfunds

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Having the exact same problem, Dell Chromebook 7310 13 inch / Samsung Galaxy S7 - Have reset everything, removed devices from my account, enabled disabled "Trust Agents", enabled disabled setup, bluetooth, settings, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. just like all the forums say... now the laptop won't even find the phone. YES I am sure bluetooth is enabled. YES I am sure they are close enough. YES I am looking at the instructions. YES I have searched the forums. This isn't rocket science. Frustrated as hell. :/

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
So just bought an ASUS chromebit and that has the same result trying to connect BT to my Galaxy S8. I assume then something about BT on the S8 just doesn't play nice with Chrome OS in general.

But ... good news is that even though "fails to connect" - it is still paired and apparently that is good enough to use phone to unlock the Chrome device! That was my primary motivation to have my phone paired with Chrome, so even if it fails to connect, I can still unlock (both Chromebook and Chromebit) so I am happy about that :) I didn't even think to try before - when it said "failed to connect" I just gave up. For whatever reason, today I tried to do the BT unlock and it worked!

happyboy7

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I've got this problem too. My Samsung Note 8 was unlocking via bluetooth my Chromebook perfectly until last week when my phone updated to Oreo. I've tried unpairing/repairing numerous times but I keep getting Failed to connect. I can still use bluetooth headphones on the Chromebook, and also on the Note 8. So, bluetooth works independently, just not between the Chromebook and phone. Weird!

jvangurp

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site

jvangurp

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
ASUS C302 with a Moto Z Play here - same problem. I experienced this a few months ago and after many repeated attemps with forgetting BT devices and pairinbg and repairing it eventually worked, however currently I'm stuck as well, trying the same things over and over again. It's very frustrating.

Sim8

Jun 2, 2018
Visit site
Similar problem with Acer Chromebook R11 and Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (too ancient now?)

Last edited:

Koffeeshop77

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
Still for my chromebook plus and S8. Anybody find a work around?

you have to let it ask twice, as in,
the first number it shows to verify on you mobile device is wrong(as in,way off)
i rejected that on my mobile AS SOON AS IT SOON POPPED UP,
then i waited...
and out of nowhere (like 30 sec later) it was still trying to connect,
at that time i still did had not touched anything on the chromebook (samsung pro),
yet there matching CODES regenerated on both devices, i hit pair on the phone and and accept on the book and and they are now paired. :eek:

it's really more of a keep trying and you will get it kind of deal, i almost stopped after i found this thread, then i noticed the pairing codes did not match and tried it quite a few more times not accepting that i couldn't get a code to match up, when i took a pause i had matching codes, don't know why they made it so difficult must be a glitch in software. wanted to share for others, good luck.