Like chromebook but....

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
...since I mostly use it for writing the touchpad drove me crazy. I'd be writing and the heel of my hand would touch the touchpad sending the cursor across the screen and I'd be inserting text somewhere inappropriate or I'd hit the wrong key and erase my work. Three days ago I lost a long email I'd written in Google Docs.

So, I got a Bluetooth mouse and tried to turn off the touchpad. I can't turn if off totally but turning the "tap to click" off seemed to solve my problem. I can still move the pointer using the touchpad and click on links by physically pressing the touchpad but the sensitive touch does nothing now.

Helps me a lot.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Learning to type properly would help you even more. Your fingers should be arched, so the heels of your hands are up in the air.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Oh, that I was an adolescent again. I learned to type in 1956, manual Remington, and have been typing ever since. My fingers are arched, of course, but I don't type for hours holding my hands in the air. I have seen videos of young people typing on laptops with the heels of their hands anchored to each side of the trackpad. I tried that but would inevitably touch the trackpad.

Now, moving on. The Bluetooth mouse worked great for writing but the trackpad is better for browsing the web and reading the news. So, I gave it more thought and put the mouse back in the drawer. I just used the trackpad with tap-to-click turned off. It took about 48 hours to disconnect my fingers from tapping. Now, 95% of the time I click without a thought.

Writing is very comfortable and surfing the web is a little less convenient without the tap-to-click but doable. I was surprised that a one-finger click was the left-click and a two-finger click was the right-click. I was surprised the touchpad could tell a one-finger from a two-finger click. The tap made sense.

Anyway, I'm working now. Thanks for bearing with me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You could also get a good USB or Bluetooth keyboard, although that makes it kind of awkward if you need to be mobile.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
You could also get a good USB or Bluetooth keyboard, although that makes it kind of awkward if you need to be mobile.

It took a bit over 48 hours for my fingers to get used to clicking instead of tapping on the trackpad. . Now I can use the trackpad to surf the web and still type documents without the problems.

Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae