External Trackpad

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking for an external trackpad for my chromebook. The trackpad built in is rather small and I'm cramped using it. It's okay but I thought an external would be nice. I checked on a number on Amazon and none seemed to work with a chromebook.

According to Chrome Unboxed and About Chromebook, Brydge has a trackpad coming, some day.

Then I ran across a twitter post from three years ago about an Apple Magic 2 Trackpad maybe working soon and then another article in Chrome Unboxed saying the necessary drivers were coming. Then I saw a twitter post on a chromebook site that said the Apple Magic 2 trackball works with the chromebook.

I got a used one and it works fine. All the gestures I use, one-two-or-three-finger, work and if there's a gesture that doesn't work it's one I don't know.

I've used the trackpad plugged in to my computer's USB A port and connected by Bluetooth. Both work flawlessly.

I don't, and won't, use Apple computers or phones but this trackpad is large, incredibly smooth, and works fine. The limited settings for the trackpad in Chrome OS all seem to work.

I'm happy so far.

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Good luck to you! I also read that they worked with Chromebooks but after I bought it it would connect over Bluetooth but would not open links or anything else. I am using the Acer Chromebook 15. Not a total loss however as I use it at work with my iMac.

It is a great gadget so I eagerly await the one coming from Brydge.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I was grossly negligent in not mentioning my Chromebook. It's an Acer Spin 13 C713. We now have a mystery because my Magic 2 trackpad clicks on links, highlights text, and does all the other stuff it's supposed to do. Oh, I'm running Version 74.0.3729.159 (Official Build) (64-bit). I just highlighted that using the trackpad and then copied it here.

I was almost giddy that someone commented. I thought the Chromebook forum had died. Thanks fed123.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
"So, what are you left with? The Apple Magic Trackpad 2. Yep, you’re reading that right. I’m suggesting you go and get an Apple product to use on a daily basis with your Chrome OS device. We talked about support for this trackpad coming back in October, and to be honest, it simply fell off my radar after that. I had an itch to give it a try on my Pixelbook today and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was an easy setup and every single gesture, tap and click works exactly like you’d expect."
https://chromeunboxed.com/here-is-your-best-option-for-a-wireless-trackpad-for-any-chromebook/

I've found that when typing I default to my built-in trackpad on my Acer Spin 13. It's excellent. When I'm surfing the web or reading the news I tend to use the Magic 2, which is also excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21