Why no bloat?

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
On Andoid phones the manufacturers want to use Android on most phones but they feel compelled to add bloat to make it special for them. Even the service providers add some bloat.

But, on Chromebooks they're all standard Chrome OS. Whether it's Acer or Asus or HP or Google you get the same operating system and no bloat. I have an Acer right now and I can download an app to Acer Service but it doesn't come built in and not removable.

I'm fairly new to Chromebooks and have no idea why? Over the years, I've even had manufacturers add bloat to my Windows.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I have had two Acer Chromebooks and they have absolutely no pre-installed apps, no Acer anything. Just Chrome OS. I like it, we don't need anything else; just the standard OS.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think historically, part of the reason is that Chrome OS was all web-based, so there was no real option to install bloatware. Now that all new Chromebooks can run Android apps, I suppose it's possible for bloatware to be installed, so keep an eye out for that.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I think historically, part of the reason is that Chrome OS was all web-based, so there was no real option to install bloatware. Now that all new Chromebooks can run Android apps, I suppose it's possible for bloatware to be installed, so keep an eye out for that.

I really don't recall what came preinstalled in the Pixekbook but I imagine some Google apps did. I don't feel like doing a powerwash to find out.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I don't speak geek fluently. I consider bloat something added to the system by the maker of the hardware. Google Android and Google apps are, to me, all part of the same package. Google Messages is part of Android. Samsung Messages, whatever it's called, isn't.

My Acer chromebook came with a lot of Google Programs but had absolutely nothing from Acer. I went to the Google Play Store and searched for "Acer Apps" and got a lot, many made by Acer. But, Acer thankfully didn't put them all on my chromebook.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I recall my old Acer Chromebook 15 (CB5-571) had a link to some kind of Acer Games website "preinstalled," but that's the closest I've seen.

And thank you for not considering Google apps bloatware -- I'm of the same opinion!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
popipro