Hi all,

I've been watching YouTube for the last week but never got a comparison. So I hope you can help me. My Macbook Pro died and I'm looking into a temporary replacement for 2 years or so.

My choice so far would either be
    HP x360 with m3
    Google Pixelbook

I narrowed it down and would tend to the HP for the screen. I write a lot though and want a very good keyboard. Is it true that there's a lot of key flex with the HP? The Pixelbook apparently seems to be very good here.

I'd be using a bit of Lightoom and Netflix. Could you good people who have either advise on

Key flex
    Track pad use
    Screen brightness outdoors

General feelings about the devices.

This would be amazing as this searching hasn't brought forth something conclusive.

Please don't recommend any other devices. The choice is between these two.

Many thanks,

Chris
    07-11-2019 03:01 PM
    Are you talking about the 14" X360? If so, are you sure it's an m3 or an i3 CPU? I can't seem to find an X360 with the m3.

I've had a Pixelbook for a while, and just got the HP X360 14" with the Core i3 from Best Buy, so I think that's pretty much the same as the one you're considering. The Pixelbook is terrific, but the HP is also very good, and I think is a great value for how much I paid (on sale for $399).

The HP's keyboard is surprisingly good. I say "surprisingly" because my very first impression of the keys was that they seemed a bit flimsy. But I've been typing on it a fair amount this past week, and I've found it to be very good, with no tendency towards typos. The keyboard backlight is an additional bonus. As good as the Pixelbook's keyboard is, I've actually found that I end up missing a few letters here and there, probably because of the minimal travel distance of the keys.

The HP trackpad is fine so far. It's a little slippery -- I like the Pixelbook's more because it has a slightly rubbery texture that makes finer movements easier. The HP trackpad is also wider than the ones on other Chromebooks I've used, so there's a slightly increased risk of my palms inadvertently touching it while typing. Not a big problem, but still a somewhat noticeable difference.

I haven't tried the screen outdoors, but I'd guess it's not great. The Pixelbook's screen can definitely get brighter. The HP's screen is better than my previous Lenovo Thinkpad 13 Chromebook, but it doesn't get dazzlingly bright.

Other thoughts:

Pixelbook can use an active pen, while the HP can't. The pen probably doesn't add a whole lot, but I did get a used one for my Pixelbook, and it is nice to have a fine point to interact with the touchscreen, as opposed to my fat finger.

Sound on both machines is good. HP has Bang & Olufsen speakers, which are decent for a laptop and get pretty loud -- maybe slightly better quality than Pixelbook's.

Both are really fast (although my HP is probably a bit faster than the m3 version you're considering). The HP might even be a little faster than the Pixelbook when it comes to browsing, and this is an i3 (HP) compared to an i5 (Pixelbook).

I don't use either of these as tablets because they're too heavy to hold in one hand for even a short time. The Pixelbook has somewhat sharp edges that make holding it as a tablet even more uncomfortable, and the HP is significantly heavier (and there's a weird gap along one edge when the screen is folded back, due to how the body is designed).

The Pixelbook looks a lot cooler than the HP.

Overall, I'd say that if you want to splurge, go for the Pixelbook (and you can find some decent refurbs these days at significantly lower prices, like around $700). If cost is a consideration, I don't think you can go wrong with the HP. Enjoy!
    07-11-2019 04:33 PM
    Hi B.Diddy

Sorry the x360 has the i3. If the keyboard doesn't flex when you put some pressure on then I think the HP will be it.

It looks nice and goot ports for connectivity. Now I hope that Amazon UK will have some good deals on next week.
    07-12-2019 08:51 AM
    Ah ok, then I do have the exact model you're looking at.

When I press hard on the keyboard, there is some flex, but not during normal typing.
    07-12-2019 09:56 AM