The fine folks at AXGIO provided me this solar charger for review. I tested it while charging two smartphones, and it was able to quickly charge them at the maximum capacity. Note that these are older smartphones which only do 5V/1A. AXGIO claims 5V/3A total, or 2.4A per port. Note that I am not sure how they came up with 21W, since USB port output is 5V, so at 3A, you are looking at 15W. Perhaps the panels are rated at 21W, but the conversion/loss when bringing it to USB brings it down to 15W? I guess that’s just how it’s rated as the competition does similar. But regardless, it works well for its purpose.

Build and Features

The charger has a three panel design which folds up into three for ease of storage, and is held together by magnets. The solar panels are on the inside when folded up. I have put my 16,000 mah battery pack and Honor 8 on the charger for you to get an approximate feel of the size.

It is made of high-wear polyester canvas which feels like a very sturdy material. It has metal reinforced holes on all four corners, so you can hang it from your backpack, allowing you to charge while on a hike! There is a mesh pocket with a zipper which you can store your cables when not in use. There is an elastic strap which can be used to help with cable management, or you can also strap in a small smartphone or power bank. The strap just barely fit my Honor 8, and didn’t fit my iPhone 7 Plus. However, you can still put the iPhone 7 Plus in the pouch and just barely zipper it back up. There is also a wire grommet which can be used to route the cable out of the pocket, in case you are doing a larger device or two devices. AXGIO lists the weight as 21oz, and although I didn’t weigh it, the weight seems about right. There are lighter versions from other manufacturers but I like this one more because the heft makes it less likely to get blown over from the wind.

Charging

I should warn everyone…I tried to put the charger and two phones in direct sunlight. Big mistake! The battery temperature on my phone got to 137°F! The other phone got to like 125°F. When this happens, the phone automatically slows and at some point stops charging the phone due to overheat condition. When charging, make sure that the device isn’t in direct sunlight!

Secondly, I tried charging behind a screen door and it charged very slowly. So, if you want to use this, the panels need to be in direct sunlight! AXGIO does provide a kickstand to prop the charger in the direction of the sun. Another alternative, if you are hiking, would be to strap the power bank to the solar charger, and hang the charger from your back pack to let it charge during the day, and at night you can use the power bank to charge the phone.

Conclusion

I have to admit, I was a bit skeptical of a solar charger, but this really works well! I would wholly recommend this solar charger. Please visit Amazon if you would like to pick one up:

https://www.amazon.com/AXGIO-PowerEd...cUvbUpU5551671

https://www.amazon.com/AXGIO-PowerEd...cUvbUpU5551671
    11-07-2016 04:34 PM
    Awesome Sauce.

I tried a solar charger once and was disappointed, but that was a few years ago and it was pretty cheap.

Maybe it is time to revisit this Green Alternative. Thanks for the review and the excellent pics, they really gives me a good idea of the dimensions.
    dpham00 and jcstek like this.
    11-07-2016 08:16 PM
    I was definitely impressed by this solar charger! It isn't the cheapest out there but not the most expensive either, however it seems well built for rugged usage which is what you want in a solar charger, IMO.
    jcstek, anon(9602380) and Ry like this.
    11-08-2016 09:14 AM
    Very well done! I am now going to go look into this further for myself. What a great idea over using a power bank.
    11-08-2016 10:43 AM