Review: Tech21 Evo Check Case for Pixel XL

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
The Tech21 Evo Check Case Review!

The Evo Check Case from Tech21 could very well be the best case I’ve encountered for the Google Pixel XL.

IMG_20170122_133323.jpgIMG_20170122_133356.jpg

The Evo Check is ultra thin and lightweight, but somehow manages to offer amazing protection while allowing full access to all the ports and buttons. The case offers Advanced Impact Protection from 2 metres or 6.6 feet with FlexShock and comes with a lifetime case warranty.

IMG_20170122_133436.jpgIMG_20170122_133442.jpg

The Evo Check comes in two colours, you have black and white (Smokey and clear) I much prefer the look of the clear white case on the black Pixel. A lot of work has went into this case, all the ports are perfectly cut out, the buttons are easy to press, the lip at the front protects the screen when face down. The case even has chamfered edges to mimic the design of the Pixel.

IMG_20161211_153507.jpg

This is a rubber case, so you won’t need to worry about grip. I had no problem taking this phone in and out of pockets and it doesn’t attract any pocket lint or dust for that matter.

IMG_20161211_153441.jpgIMG_20161211_153448.jpg
IMG_20161211_153454.jpgIMG-20161211-WA0003.jpg

The back has a kind of honeycomb design going on, which looks awesome with the white on black Pixel.

One thing I found really cool about this case are the cut outs for the USB port and speaker grills – they don’t jag the fingers! With the thick cut outs, the phone sits excellently in my hand, with my pinky finger resting in the middle. I’ve tested way too many cases that are uncomfortable to hold due to the port cut outs.

20170122_133749.jpg20170122_133833.jpg
IMG_20170122_133451.jpgIMG_20170122_133456.jpg
IMG_20170122_133458.jpgIMG_20170122_133504.jpg

The Evo Check case fits tight! It’s a struggle to get the case on and off, but I don’t want a case that offers loose protection, I want something to wrap around my phone to give me the confidence that if / when I drop it, it’s going to remain protected.

A lot of attention to detail has went into this case, which is something I’ve came to expect from Tech21, which is why going to any other case seems like a step down in my opinion. So for the time being, this is the case I’m rocking on my Google Pixel XL, there’s that and then there’s the fact I can’t get the damn case off the phone!

Check out all of Tech21 cases here folks - https://www.tech21.com/en_gb

The Tall Guy!

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The Tech21 Evo Check Case Review!

The Evo Check Case from Tech21 could very well be the best case I’ve encountered for the Google Pixel XL.

View attachment 250753View attachment 250754

The Evo Check is ultra thin and lightweight, but somehow manages to offer amazing protection while allowing full access to all the ports and buttons. The case offers Advanced Impact Protection from 2 metres or 6.6 feet with FlexShock and comes with a lifetime case warranty.

View attachment 250755View attachment 250756

The Evo Check comes in two colours, you have black and white (Smokey and clear) I much prefer the look of the clear white case on the black Pixel. A lot of work has went into this case, all the ports are perfectly cut out, the buttons are easy to press, the lip at the front protects the screen when face down. The case even has chamfered edges to mimic the design of the Pixel.

View attachment 250757

This is a rubber case, so you won’t need to worry about grip. I had no problem taking this phone in and out of pockets and it doesn’t attract any pocket lint or dust for that matter.

View attachment 250758View attachment 250759
View attachment 250760View attachment 250761

The back has a kind of honeycomb design going on, which looks awesome with the white on black Pixel.

One thing I found really cool about this case are the cut outs for the USB port and speaker grills – they don’t jag the fingers! With the thick cut outs, the phone sits excellently in my hand, with my pinky finger resting in the middle. I’ve tested way too many cases that are uncomfortable to hold due to the port cut outs.

View attachment 250762View attachment 250763
View attachment 250764View attachment 250765
View attachment 250766View attachment 250767

The Evo Check case fits tight! It’s a struggle to get the case on and off, but I don’t want a case that offers loose protection, I want something to wrap around my phone to give me the confidence that if / when I drop it, it’s going to remain protected.

A lot of attention to detail has went into this case, which is something I’ve came to expect from Tech21, which is why going to any other case seems like a step down in my opinion. So for the time being, this is the case I’m rocking on my Google Pixel XL, there’s that and then there’s the fact I can’t get the damn case off the phone!

Check out all of Tech21 cases here folks - https://www.tech21.com/en_gb

The Tall Guy!
I just got this case and I absolutely love it. I also got the white for my black pixel. It adds a little bulk to the sides of the phone due to its impact protection, but I feel like my pixel is SO safe in this case without it looking like a bulky paperweight.

Are you still using it? How has it held up for you?

kenorian

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Great, comprehensive review. I'd add, though, that the buttons are the hardest to press of any case that I've owned.

I still used it for a few months, instead an app that will shut down the phone with a swipe down on the fingerprint sensor.

How we, the thing that made me give up on it was the "browning" of the sides and back that your fingers and hands come in contact with it. Makes is look dirty, but it's in the material, so you can't wash it off.

This has been a commonly reported issue with the iPhone versions of the white model.

So, would be interested in how you feel about it after a few months.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I just got this case and I absolutely love it. I also got the white for my black pixel. It adds a little bulk to the sides of the phone due to its impact protection, but I feel like my pixel is SO safe in this case without it looking like a bulky paperweight.

Are you still using it? How has it held up for you?

Hey,

Yeah it's the case I always return to in the end. I'm using the black version the now though.

I agree with what you're saying about the sides of the case, it gives the phone a slight bulk, but it's not enough for me to change the case out.

There's something about the way this case fits on the phone that makes me confident the phone is safe if I drop it. The case fits so well it could easily be mistaken for an actual Google case.

I've had the black case on for about 3 weeks now and it's still looking brilliant.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Great, comprehensive review. I'd add, though, that the buttons are the hardest to press of any case that I've owned.

I still used it for a few months, instead an app that will shut down the phone with a swipe down on the fingerprint sensor.

How we, the thing that made me give up on it was the "browning" of the sides and back that your fingers and hands come in contact with it. Makes is look dirty, but it's in the material, so you can't wash it off.

This has been a commonly reported issue with the iPhone versions of the white model.

So, would be interested in how you feel about it after a few months.

Hey, thanks for the positive feedback :) I do agree with you that the buttons are on the tough side when pressing them, but honestly, after using the case for a few weeks now, I don't notice it. Either I've became accustom to pressing the button harder, or it's became easier over time.

But you're definitely right, the buttons are stiff out of the box.

As for the browning of the case, I can't say that I've noticed this. I used the white case for a couple of weeks, while travelling as well, but never saw any discoloration. I'm back using the black case now, but I might swap it out for the white to see if this happens over time.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the positive feedback :) I do agree with you that the buttons are on the tough side when pressing them, but honestly, after using the case for a few weeks now, I don't notice it. Either I've became accustom to pressing the button harder, or it's became easier over time.

But you're definitely right, the buttons are stiff out of the box.

As for the browning of the case, I can't say that I've noticed this. I used the white case for a couple of weeks, while travelling as well, but never saw any discoloration. I'm back using the black case now, but I might swap it out for the white to see if this happens over time.

I have always loved the Tech 21 cases and glad to see they made one for the Pixel and Pixel XL. I am going to be ordering a Pixel XL pretty soon and trying to decide which case I want to get. This is in the running as is the Otterbox Commuter and the UAG cases. I have never had a UAG case before but have had Tech 21 and Otterbox. I currently have the Otterbox symmetry on my S7 Edge and I love that case. I wish they had one for the Pixel XL as that is what I would probably get. I actually don't need the port covers and find them to be a hindrance at times when I go to plug my phone in.

I see you had done a review of the Tech 21 and the Commuter so was wondering what your thoughts were between the two cases for the Pixel?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Bah I was having hope for this as a pool hall case but it being hard to put on and off is a no go :(.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I have always loved the Tech 21 cases and glad to see they made one for the Pixel and Pixel XL. I am going to be ordering a Pixel XL pretty soon and trying to decide which case I want to get. This is in the running as is the Otterbox Commuter and the UAG cases. I have never had a UAG case before but have had Tech 21 and Otterbox. I currently have the Otterbox symmetry on my S7 Edge and I love that case. I wish they had one for the Pixel XL as that is what I would probably get. I actually don't need the port covers and find them to be a hindrance at times when I go to plug my phone in.

I see you had done a review of the Tech 21 and the Commuter so was wondering what your thoughts were between the two cases for the Pixel?

Hey - if I had to choose between the pair I would go with the Tech21. I prefer the in-hand feeling of the Tech21. It gives better grip and doesn't leave finger print marks as much as the Commuter did. It's lighter and easier to pull in and out of my pocket.

It also depends on what you do with your phone, I work in an office all week, so I don't need the commuters protection. If you were working outside or constantly active, I would say the Commuter would be better equipped.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the tech21 for my regular sized pixel and I find it very easy to remove. Not a problem for me.
I'll take a look at that. I just want once to be easy since I'll only use it in pool halls and use my regular one the other days. Pool halls are smokey so I'd rather have it's own case for that environment.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll take a look at that. I just want once to be easy since I'll only use it in pool halls and use my regular one the other days. Pool halls are smokey so I'd rather have it's own case for that environment.
I agree! I just got the Google official silicone case and absolutely love it. Kinda pricey but worth it

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Bah I was having hope for this as a pool hall case but it being hard to put on and off is a no go :(.
Not sure why one is having hard time putting this on or off. It's a tpu kind of material and absolutely easy to put on or take off. I have like some 5 or 6 Pixel XL cases and tech 21 is part of the case rotation. I never have any difficulty getting this on or off. The only negative about the case is power button is little hard to press but gets better over time.

alarsen77

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site

That's an interesting idea. I play on a pool league on thursday nights and we are in bars all the time that are smokey and I do go to pool halls that are smokey as well. I never thought about getting a case specifically for that environment. But then again I have also never noticed my phone case smelling bad from being in a smokey environment for a night. I might have to look into that idea though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995