Morten Svendsen

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
Hi i just bought my first chromebook, a acer r13. I mainly bought because of the reviews. But this seems like a total different fish... It dos not feel solid at all. Every review states its a aluminium chasis, but this is for sure plastic. The keyboard seems cheap too and the hinge does not feel like it can survive a half year in asia. So i just want to know if anybody has the same expirience and if Acer somehow have changed the product withoput changing the name.
Regards Morten

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Community Reviews forum to the Acer Chromebooks forum, for more specific traffic.

Sim8

Jun 2, 2018
Visit site
Yup, have the R11 CB5-132T and feel the same way about the plasticky white chassis and the hinges. I still think it's an outstanding bit of kit for the price, but also interested what you and others experience as we live with it.

Last edited:

Kimber

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
VAVA Mk2
I have the R13 and feel totally different. Nice metal finish and great battery.
06-03-2018 09:50 AM

Same here. I have the R13 and the build reminds me a lot of my MacBook....nice aluminum finish, great keyboard....seems like a very solid build. I've been very happy with it. I also just purchased the new Lenovo 500e Chromebook (for functionality and durability, because I feel more comfortable keeping the R13 on my desk, and can tote the 500e around and not worry about it). In comparing my new 500e with my R13, I was reminded how premium my R13 feels (although the 500e is nice and solid...it's just plastic, and not aluminum, which I already knew). :)

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
We got an R13 on Prime day and really like it. Ours definitely has a metal case. I'm unsure how long the hinge will last but that's more me just not fully trusting 360 hinges. There's nothing physically present that supports my concern on that. Lol.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I live in Mexico and they are still selling the old Acer R13 that is plastic and sells for about $60 USD. They're selling the new aluminum Acer R13 for about $1000 USD. Two totally different Chromebooks. Check the model numbers.