Samsung Galaxy S8: 2017 phone Holds Up Well Even in 2019

Nov 9, 2019
Visit site
I've had a Samsung Galaxy S8 for over a year (got that on Halloween 2018) as an upgrade from my J3 (2016) I chose to stick with Samsung. This is probably going to be my only phone for (probably) several years from what I've heard. Here's my thoughts on the device.

1. Battery.
Battery is something that can be improved, but seeing as the S8 was Samsung's first flagship since the Note 7 fiasco, I don't blame them for sticking a 3000 mAh battery in there. The only gripe is the permanent adhesive that Samsung uses. When / if I decide to replace the battery on this, seeing as I'll probably be having the phone past the 2 year contract, unless I get a downgrade to a cheap low-end model (I won't do that, if I want more power, I will wait for more than 2 years), it would be unsafe. I would take it to a local repair shop (with a good reputation) or get Samsung to do it, even if I have to save up for that, as I don't want to be causing more problems with my phone.

2. Performance

Performance is excellent on this device. Seeing as it is a 2017 flagship phone, it is performing well. It plays games with no lag (I play rubbish games so that might be why it's breezing through them, I'll get some intensive games to test that out) and it breezes through everyday tasks like Facebook and YouTube. Sometimes the video buffers but I usually fix it by tapping off the video and then getting back onto it. If it's still buffering, it means it might be too intensive for the internet, as I don't have 5 GHz speeds.

3. Internet

Internet on this phone is good. It's relatively quick considering that the internet isn't 5 GHz in my house, it's probably 2.4 GHz. The phone does well in normal tasks, except in intensive videos which I can't play on it in HD. I don't have too much to say about it. It is what it is.

4. Camera.
Photos and videos look so good on this phone, however, due to the internet, I limit myself to 1080p, if I make a 4K video, I'd make it really short so it will upload. There won't be night mode on this phone as it doesn't have the power for it or something I imagine so it won't do good in night-time shots. I didn't test just low light photography yet though.

5. Display

The display is a 1440p panel, however, I limit myself to 1080p because of the battery, Samsung should have just saved the 1440p for the Note 9+ in my opinion as those have better batteries and maxed the S/Note 8 out at 1080p. 1440p resolution would be best suited for maxed out phones like the S10+ and the Note10+.

6. Durability

The phone is durable, but as I don't have a screen protector (I can't put those on) there's deep gauges, from what I presume is my nail. I'm surprised at the gauges that my nails have made from scrolling. Maybe it's because my nails actually grow and I haven't bitten them.I can't comment on the strength of the phone as I have a case on it.

That's it for my review. As this is my best phone I've had, it gets a 5/5.

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing! I did love my s8+!! It's kinda sad to think how many high end phones don't do well for the normal 2-3 year term.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I disagree about your comment they should have went with a 1080p screen and saved the 1440p for later, it would have been a downgrade from previous screens. Samsung has been using 1440p screens on their flagship phones since 2014.

Otherwise thanks for the feed back, always good to hear from users.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I got mine this past August when I moved back to the US for college. Excellent powerful device with a proper camera for just $300. Also, I won't ever have to deal with the threat of Scoped Storage as this thing will likely not get the Android Q update. Only problem I have is the PROFUSE burn-in from WhatsApp (addicted to text my family and friends from back home, LOL) and the fact there is no Samsung store here to fix that for me. But all in all an amazing device. The camera really enhanced my photography hobby enjoyment.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad