Thinking about leaving Sprint and joining Cricket via BYOD with a new unused unbranded unlocked international Samsung GS5 or GS6. So, would my phone then receive periodic OTA updates from Cricket? If not, then how do I keep the phone updated, such as for Lollipop 5.1.1 or Marshmallow 6.0?
    01-14-2016 07:51 AM
    If not connected to Sprint's network you'd most likely have to update through Kies.
    01-14-2016 09:51 AM
    I think you're right about Kies. BTW, I would be discarding the Sprint CDMA phone if I move to Cricket. The new phone would be brand new and never registered with any carrier, which is why I believe any updates needed would not come from Cricket since they didn't sell me the phone. I hope I can keep the phone updated myself by using Kies 3, but it's not for certain that it will work smoothly. As an example, a new updated firmware install via Kies may erase all the user-stored data on the phone, which I guess means I should run a Kies backup before I install the firmware update. Thanks AD.
    01-14-2016 10:37 AM
    You might want to look at some of the moto's and nexus (among others), who get their updates directly from google. Thats the direction I'll go in the future. . Tired of the slow bloated carrier updates.... (although, a Samsung direct would only be delayed and qoild eventually get close to pure, bloated android)
    01-15-2016 05:20 AM
    Agree. I'm also looking at the Moto X Pure Edition, since it's pretty much an unlocked global phone at a fair price.
    01-15-2016 07:46 AM
    Thinking about leaving Sprint and joining Cricket via BYOD with a new unused unbranded unlocked international Samsung GS5 or GS6. So, would my phone then receive periodic OTA updates from Cricket? If not, then how do I keep the phone updated, such as for Lollipop 5.1.1 or Marshmallow 6.0?
    Once you are connected to Wifi, if an update is available it will show up. Cricket would not be dealing with the updates, once Samsung pushes the updates to your device it will be there.
    07-06-2016 10:39 PM
    Agree. I'm also looking at the Moto X Pure Edition, since it's pretty much an unlocked global phone at a fair price.
    The moto g4/plus also looks like a nice device for a relatively low price. Best Buy is also throwing in a $50 Gift Card with it as well moto g4 - Best Buy
    07-06-2016 10:42 PM