On T-Mobile now but want to test Cricket- Need help

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So last month we switched to TMO from AT&T because frankly, AT&T was charging SO much more than folks like TMO and I wasn't getting near the perks I get with TMO. Plus we saved a lot per month with TMO, thanks especially to the TMO "Kickback" discount so we are out $140 a month for 4 unlimited plans. Using all unlocked phones. But of course, the grasses don't seem to be greener on the other side. :(

We are learning that coverage, especially in any building with TMO is very spotty, limited calling, no data, or slow data etc. Very frustrating. They tout they have the best coverage and data etc, but even in our big town it's very spotty whereas AT&T was strong as could be.

So I'm tempted to test Cricket since it is AT&T based and believe it or not, is going to cost me the same as my TMO account is $160, fam of 4.

So I want to test out the reception on t least 2 of our unlocked phones but want to be sure I do it right. My plan is to buy the sim card at Walmart (.99) and get a basic data/call plane $30?) and set up online a new account with new phone number. Once done, plug that sim into each phone and spend a few days around town testing. If it doesn't go well, I'd just plug TMO sims back in and consider the $30 test.

Does that seem about right? Any hazards to doing this? Will it mess up or phones?

Thoughts?

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't do it that way just because of getting my imei messed up with two carriers. Just buy a cheap phone that will accept the Sim and go that route. Youll have a spare for either service you go with...

JR Messina

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Reception will be roughly the same as ATT. What you want to consider is losing tethering, wifi calling, HD Audio and just about any feature not considered basic.
Also the 8meg max speed was usually half that. Unless your saving a good amount of money it isn't worth it.

JR Messina

Feb 18, 2017
Visit site
Switch to Metro PCS and you will get all the T-Mobile advanced features for the price of cricket. ATT handicaps cricket so much it isn't a value.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Reception will be roughly the same as ATT. What you want to consider is losing tethering, wifi calling, HD Audio and just about any feature not considered basic.
Also the 8meg max speed was usually half that. Unless your saving a good amount of money it isn't worth it.

I think that’ll depend. My reception on cricket is much better than it ever was in T-Mobile. Great thing about these new plans is being able to switch and try it out and if it doesn’t work you can switch back. And I’ve never had problems with the speeds. It works really well.

drenfree

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
To be honest I prefer TMobile over cricket. Although service is great with cricket. The network speed and latency are killing me.