Dell Streak 7 Charging port busted Woes. and FIX!

JohnnyPhantom

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I just got my first Android Tablet for $5 off Craigslist. A Dell Streak 7 T-mobile version. I scored it so cheap since.. wel.... it didn't power on. Seller thought bad battery.
He was wrong. The device came complete in the box, with all cables + wall outlet adapter, manuals, paperwork, a spare sync cable, and it was in MINT condition, well, almost mint, the only flaw was a busted Charging port. bummer.

I'm handy with a soldering iron and figured, "heck, I can fix this!" and that's where the journey and discoveries began. first I decided to get a new charging port and just solder it in, sounds like a straight forward simple plan, however, there are NO replacement ports for sale for the 7 anywhere (unless I want to pay $99 for a used one, no thanks!). BUT! I did notice that the dell streak 5 has many of ports on eBay for about $7. Thinking it was a same port, or at least very similar since they use the same cables and dock-able items, I ordered one. Once it arrived, I discovered the 5 and 7 ARE different!! The 7 port mounts on the front of the main board, where the 5 mounts on the back, flipping the pinout. So that's no good. The main problem is the metal housing on the port, it dictates what direction the cable has to be inserte. With a little skill, I was able to remove this housing leaving only the plastic connector and pins. I attempted to solder this left over part into the 7, It was a pain but I got it in there and it worked!! for a few moments.... Without the metal housing the port was just to frail and it broke. I had just about given up. I loved the idea of a cheap $10 Dell Streak 7 but it wasn't looking promising. So off to Google I went for alternative options. I saw a few mods that people were making to convert the 30 pin connector into a USB port to attach keyboard to the Streak. Then I thought.... well... if that can be done. Why not just replace the entire port with a micro USB port?

So that was my next plan. and by golly! It Worked!! I was able to find a PDIM pinout, and by looking at that I found that the I only needed to connect 4 pins to a USB port to enable charging and data transfer (Which is all I need anyway). Not having a micro USB port handy, I tried a mini USB port I Was able to salvage off a old dead device. I wired it up, plugged in a USB cable, and then my once dead Streak 7 showed it's first flicker of life, the orange battery charging indicator lit up!! I was then able to power on the device and it worked perfectly! Now for the big test, I plugged it into my MacBook Pro, and it was detected and mounts!

Also one thing I left out was on the 30 pin connectors, the pins are so thin and close together it was a pain to get the wires soldered where they needed to be, but with help from a multimeter I was able to find the 4 solder points substitutions that are WAY easier to solder to and appear to work flawlessly!

The last issue I have is that the mini USB port is too wide to fit where I wanted it, so I ordered a micro USB port online and will install it and secure it down with glue once it arrives.

So to all Dell Streak users who just want to get their up and running again with out a huge repair bill, there is hope!

IF there's enough intrest in this, once my micro port arrives, I'll photo the steps and post them here in guide form.

neal314

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way you can post a pic of the 4 points I also need to install a regular connector and am thinking of installing inductive charging.
Thanks,
Neal

EnlightenedSoul

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow, very nice happy ending. Pretty impressive that you played frankenstein with the tablet and brought it back from the dead. Photos would be great, thanks in advance.

JohnnyPhantom

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Parts Arrived today!! Since my Dell Streak 7 will be opened, Pics are coming today! (they may not have the micro port installed in the pics, but you'll see the points and where my current USB cord is soldered to. Pics should be up later today. Couple hours I'd guess.

JohnnyPhantom

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Here is the front of the main boards PCB, the red wire is attached to one of the circle mount points to the right of the connectors port (either circle should be fine, both are positive and connect to pin 1 of the PDMI) the Black wire is attached to one of the grounding points of the connectors shield.

530530_10151407605719374_857703659_n.jpg

On the back above the cutout for the connection port there are 2 more circle mount points. the left being for the Data - (green wire) and the right being for the Data + (White Wire)

481241_10151407605934374_1632313913_n.jpg

That's it for now, hope this helps. I'll be redoing this later tonight with the micro USB port (hope it fits, it should) and I'll try to get some better pictures.

Also sorry for the sloppy soldering job shown, I was just more or less in a rush, and knew I was coming back to the solder when the micro usb port arrived.

Also I make no guarantee about this, it's more or less do at your own risk. I can just say it worked for me ^-^ can't see why it shouldn't for you, but can't guarantee it

dakotaandroid

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! A few questions: got any tips for taking the streak apart, besides a hot hair dryer on the panels? I really can't afford to break anything when I open this bad boy, so the more advice the better. Secondly, did you use wire from the charge/sync cable to do this? or what do you recommend? I'm looking forward to seeing more pics with the micro USB and finished product when you've got it all buttoned up again.
You're a life saver! My 10-year-old daughter was thrilled to hear there's some hope for her beloved Streak. Now I just need to do everything right. Thank you so much. :)

dakotaandroid

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Got it apart! Now, on the top picture, to the immediate left of the removed charging port, there's a tiny white rectangle. Can you tell me if there is supposed to be a tiny fuse or capacitor or something there? I accidentally smudged mine with my soldering iron and hoped you could tell me if I need to replace it or what I should do there. Also, Dell uses some darn strong solder. Still working on getting that old charging port off. :p If there's an easier way, I'd love to hear it.

JohnnyPhantom

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
For the wire I just used one of the destroyed sync cables that came with the device

As for the white rectangle ill check my board and see, I also have another dead streak 7 coming in from eBay within the next day or two, mine still has other issues... Drats, need more parts :p

For removing the bad port I user QuikChip and some patience.

My current issue is that the dell works great when plugged in, but remove the external power and it'll work for a moment and then freeze. Thought it was the battery, tried two others, nope.

One thing I also discovered is if you have the t mobile version, like I do, and leave out the cellular card, the streak will work as normal but the screen will blink ever 10 seconds. So if anyone has that problem, it could be the cellular card ^-^ I'll post any other discoveries about the dell streak here as I find them :)

Last edited:

JohnnyPhantom

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! A few questions: got any tips for taking the streak apart, besides a hot hair dryer on the panels? I really can't afford to break anything when I open this bad boy, so the more advice the better. Secondly, did you use wire from the charge/sync cable to do this? or what do you recommend? I'm looking forward to seeing more pics with the micro USB and finished product when you've got it all buttoned up again.
You're a life saver! My 10-year-old daughter was thrilled to hear there's some hope for her beloved Streak. Now I just need to do everything right. Thank you so much. :)

On mine I cracked those lousy glued on plastic cover panels, but Ill just double back tape them back in place and get a batman skin from skin it to cover it up

dakotaandroid

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Firstly, THANK YOU SO MUCH! My daughter was devastated when her streak died. It is up and running now, thanks to you. I ended up just using the USB charge/sync cable from the streak - I cut off the 30-pin connector and stripped back the cable to expose the wires, then stripped just the tips of the 4 wires inside and threaded them through the hole where the charge port was. I soldered them to the mainboard per your instructions, tucked in the leftover lengths of small wires so there won't be any stress on the solder points, then screwed everything back down and put it together so I just have the black cable sticking out the port hole. I closed the gap with a piece of plastic cut to fit, then a little black tape to cover things. So now it charges like a champ and plays her games, etc. with no problem. My computer shows it as an unrecognized USB device, but that's no problem - all her ebooks and music are stored on the SD card, so it's easy to pop that out and add/delete files. Yeah, her Streak now has a "tail" - but she also never has to hunt for her charging cable! I probably will wish I'd made it shorter, just a stub would've worked, but I can redo that later. I need a smaller tip for my soldering iron before I attempt a micro usb port, but maybe I will try that later, too. Thanks again!!!!
Yes, please keep posting any and all Streak info! We have three of them here, have friends with three more, and I'm the fixit person! :p

dakotaandroid

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Have you seen these 30-pin to micro usb adapters? One of our streaks has a loose pin that I can see in its charging port. So far, it still works fine, but I think I shall order one of these and glue it in to avoid this surgery on another machine. Good luck with your other Streaks! Keep on posting!

JohnnyPhantom

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear it worked out for you ^-^, so your pc shows it as a unrecognized device? hmm odd, could it be a driver thing? mine shows up just fine.
I'm hoping that my broken/parts Streak 7 arrives soon from eBay so I can make a fully working one what actually works off the battery. I gotta feeling the seller, who sold me the one I have now, ruined it by being, hmmm whats a better word for stupid... idiotic. When I emailed him asking if the device powered on when plugged in (since he posted it on craigslist as having just a bad battery) his response was "It used to but not anymore, may be due to a bad cable, I just tried my iPod cable and it didn't respond" sooo... my guess is thats what damaged the port when I got it, and possibly sorted out something else, hence why I cant run it on battery alone. Soon hopefully that will be resolved. I gonna have a decent amount of spare parts when I'm done ^-^ Always good to have spares

dakotaandroid

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
WHY didn't I leave it alone? My daughter didn't like the long cord, so I decided, simple matter, I will open it up, shorten the cord and resolder. Now the dratted thing gets stuck at the dell rainbow loop, and if I try to hold the power/vol up to do factory restore, it stops at Starting Fastboot. I have taken it apart and redone it several times, did I fry something? Any ideas??

JohnnyPhantom

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue before, I don't think it's from the solder job, what I did was download a streak update to the sd card, went to the recovery menu and install the update from the sd, then I factory reset it. That solved it for me.

dakotaandroid

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
HOLY MOLY! You saved it again! I had been holding the volume - with power instead of volume +, which kept sending it to fastboot instead of recovery. After I saw your post, I googled it, (felt like a complete lamebrain for not checking sooner) and it WORKS AGAIN!!!! I can't believe it. I truly thought I'd fried it for good. How are you coming along with yours?? I hope you're having some success! THANKS AGAIN!!! =D

Last edited:

JohnnyPhantom

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Great to hear, currently I'm still waiting for my part one to arrive, the sellers only a city or two away, but took his time sending the item, hoping for delivery today :)