Dell Cast Experience?

omegafiler

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, there weren't many user reviews on this thing. Probably because its being marketed as a business gadget.

But it sounded interesting, so I ordered one and just received it yesterday. Will update soon!

omegafiler

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
So basically this is a Dell-only casting device that both does normal casting as well as "Dell Cast." For both, it only seemed to work with the Dell Venue. Figured it would at least do normal miracast with other non-Dell gadgets, but it does not.

When I tested normal casting, everything is as it was with all of the other casting devices I've used. No issues there.

Naturally it's the Dell Cast that's most intriguing. It basically creates a custom "desktop" when enabled. This worked fine on my TV and 24" Monitor via HDMI. There is no extension for the dongle, so if it doesn't fit where you want it, you'd better get one. It needs power via the supplied micro-USB cable, but no AC adapter. Provide your own or connect to a USB port.

Then it's got a single USB port. Worked with my Logitech receiver, which I already have a mouse/keyboard paired to. The custom desktop is still android, but has a nifty "start menu," it's own widgets, etc. This worked great for productivity items such as Gmail, Chrome, or even Youtube.

Another nifty feature is that it lets you custom size the desktop for your TV, so no more over/underscan issues.

However, using players for local MKV's via MXPlayer of VLC sometimes resulted in audio going through the internal speakers instead of the HDMI out. And naturally doing anything else is still limited to the casting abilities. So don't plan on gaming much here.

As expected, this is marketed towards "business" users who want to take the netbook experience of the Venue 10 7000 to a larger monitor with some nice extra features thrown in. And for basic internet/e-mail use, it's perfect. For everybody else, better off sticking with a normal miracast adapter.

Sent from my Venue 10 7040 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34