Just snagged the Dell Venue 8 7840...wow

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about picking one of these up... actually still thinking about it. I have the N9 and Shield Tablet, both of which are great IMO. But my Shield Tablet is having problems with the nook app by Barnes and Noble which is where half my books are. The other half are on Kindle which works great so I'm currently using the nook app on my Droid Turbo and the Kindle app on my Shield Tablet. It would be nice to have all my ebooks in one place though. So thinking about picking this up. The other problem with using my Turbo for nook app is that I can't read magazines on a phone. They don't even show up in my library on the Turbo. I'm subscribed to Wired and I haven't been able to read it since I've had this problem. Sure I could read it on my N9 but who wants to carry around two tablets, one just for magazines? It's frustrating but not the end of the world. I guess what I'll do is wait for the reviews and do some investigating before making a final decision.

Speaking of which, I have a couple questions for those that have this tablet already...

-Can anyone vouch for the reliability of the Kindle and or Nook apps on the Venue?
-Does anyone know when Lollipop will be released for this tablet?
-how long does it take to charge from any given percentage of battery life.
-how much storage is available out of box and how many GB is the base configuration for $399?
-How is touch sensitivity? any problems? I ask because I had a Dell Venue 8 pro windows tablet a while back and it had major touch issues...
-How does this tablet compare to other tablets you all own?

Thanks in advance for any feedback possible and for all the impressions already covered so far... My interest is definitely piqued!

Accoriding to some website they say the Lollipop update should be soon, iv`e heard dell do update their devices so im not worried at all about this one being the flagship device.

Not looked at percentages but it seems to charge quite quick and the battery life seems to be excellent

Out of the box storage is 9.24gb, you also has Sd option

Touch sensitivity is no issue at all

And owning the N9 and the shield Tablet i put the Dell right on top, i will put a mini review together in a little while, read my other post above for some thoughts :)

And just tried both the Nook and Kindle app and both work and open books with zero issues

rigg

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I had the Nexus 9 from December 25th until a week ago when it died on me. I ordered another one, but in the midst of Amazon mishaps someone on this thread mentioned the Dell Venue 8 7840 as an alternative. I believe two people mentioned they have both and would pick the Dell over the Nexus. With that experience I went out yesterday and grabbed the Dell. And.........same verdict - Dell all the way! It's been said many times before, but the screen is friggin out of this world - I mean seriously crazy. I will never go back to that light bleeding mess of a Nexus. The size is also perfect - big enough for great everything yet just small enough to hold in one hand. My new Nexus 9 arrives today; I'm not even going to open it - it's going straight back to Amazon. Thanks everyone for suggesting this tablet.

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I have the N9, the Shield tablet and the Samsung Tab S 8.4. Sammy is my favorite because of the display. I think I will check out the Dell tomorrow, picking one up and getting rid of these other tabs, especially since there is a root method which would allow me to save files to the SD card. Thanks guys!

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had the Nexus 9 from December 25th until a week ago when it died on me. I ordered another one, but in the midst of Amazon mishaps someone on this thread mentioned the Dell Venue 8 7840 as an alternative. I believe two people mentioned they have both and would pick the Dell over the Nexus. With that experience I went out yesterday and grabbed the Dell. And.........same verdict - Dell all the way! It's been said many times before, but the screen is friggin out of this world - I mean seriously crazy. I will never go back to that light bleeding mess of a Nexus. The size is also perfect - big enough for great everything yet just small enough to hold in one hand. My new Nexus 9 arrives today; I'm not even going to open it - it's going straight back to Amazon. Thanks everyone for suggesting this tablet.

Best choice you could gave made in my opinion, as said earlier this is the direction google should have gone

Posted via the Android Central App

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you to everyone that posted user experiences with the Dell - much appreciated.
For those of you that bought at Best Buy, did they have a display model out for you to see prior to purchase?

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you to everyone that posted user experiences with the Dell - much appreciated.
For those of you that bought at Best Buy, did they have a display model out for you to see prior to purchase?

I went to my local B.B. during my lunch break today and scoured the store for a look, no dice. I did play with a N9 as I do whenever I go in then walked out empty handed. Will try again tomorrow

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Yeah they sure did, and only one in stock, as soon as I seen the screen and stock android I had to have it lol

paulmiller73

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Just got one this morning and so far it is awesome. Only issue I have is that there do not appear to be any cases for it yet anywhere. Other than that it is awesome. I actually returned my Nexus 9 for this and could not be happier. Nexus 9 was suck a piece of crap. Good riddance!

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just got one this morning and so far it is awesome. Only issue I have is that there do not appear to be any cases for it yet anywhere. Other than that it is awesome. I actually returned my Nexus 9 for this and could not be happier. Nexus 9 was suck a piece of crap. Good riddance!

Only decent case seems to be the official Dell folio, I'll be ordering one Thursday

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
According to online reports, Dell is going to release an LTE version. This is probably going to be similar to what Nvidia did and include extra storage. IMHO. I'm going to wait another month or so before pulling the trigger.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Went to my local best buy, saw the Venue 11, but no Venue 8 7840. Someone there said they are out and don't have one out for display....damn. I think I'm going to order one online.

Don't mean to be overbearing, but any word on Microsoft office apps on it?

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Went to my local best buy, saw the Venue 11, but no Venue 8 7840. Someone there said they are out and don't have one out for display....damn. I think I'm going to order one online.

I'll download office now

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Yup works fine but has to be side loaded like on most android tablets

Attachments

• 951.jpg
    951.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 167

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC