Just snagged the Dell Venue 8 7840...wow

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
This thing is incredible. I still don't know why it isn't public yet that it's for sale. I got it at best buy yesterday for $399. I saw it under the glass counter, not on display. Has anyone else picked one up? It says "coming soon" on Dell's website, and no other website (including best buy) has them for sale. What's the deal?

Posted via the Android Central App

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Display is eye popping for sure. Very happy with it. I used it a lot last night and a good bit today, and I'm just now hitting 15%. Screenshots attached.

Attachments

• 121.jpg
    121.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 560
  • 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 569

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Display is eye popping for sure. Very happy with it. I used it a lot last night and a good bit today, and I'm just now hitting 15%. Screenshots attached.

Can you give an update on your thoughts? I'm seriously considering picking up one of these.

Goronok

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I grabbed one of these the other day and really love it too. Just wanted to let you guys know that I was able to get it rooted with this method :

Well, apparently I can't copy links because I have less than 10 posts. Google "intel android devices root temp cwm" and it will be the first XDA post that shows up.

Make sure adb and fastboot drivers work & load properly on your computer, load the SuperSU zip on your internal memory, and run the script choosing the T3 option. The script will run and say it failed, but you'll find your tablet in clockwork after a minute or two. Flash the SuperSU zip you moved over and you'll be good to go :)

keplenk

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Thats amazing to know that it can be rooted.

I'm just wondering how if it is possible to unroot it and get it back to stock .. just incase .. you know .. warranty reasons?

Also, I currently have the Samsung Tab S 8.4 and I'm thinking of returning it for this. I'm really having bad battery life with my Tab S and I'm really not happy with touchwiz.

For the same price, would you take the Tab S 8.4 or this new Dell?

dsw1519

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Thats amazing to know that it can be rooted.

I'm just wondering how if it is possible to unroot it and get it back to stock .. just incase .. you know .. warranty reasons?

Also, I currently have the Samsung Tab S 8.4 and I'm thinking of returning it for this. I'm really having bad battery life with my Tab S and I'm really not happy with touchwiz.

For the same price, would you take the Tab S 8.4 or this new Dell?

I hear you on the touch wiz. I have a galaxy note 10.1 2014 and hate the touch wiz so much I'm going to dump the Note. I'm running the nova launcher on it but still have to deal with the Samsung touch wiz. I have a N7 2012 tablet and the 2014 Moto X, so I'd rather have a tablet as close to stock android as possible. I was going to get the N9, but the reviews have been so spotty I have been holding out for something else, which right now might be the Venue 8. I'm just waiting for some more reviews and first hand owner impressions before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:

keplenk

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

Isn't that bad? Screen should the main battery eater but on your case it looks like the Android OS is the majority. You are probably having massive wakelocks.

Anyway, how do you like it so far now? Are you keeping it?

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I am very happy with it a week in. Great little tablet. Screen is beautiful, and its essentially stock android. So not a major drop off from my nexus7 with regards to the OS. The only thing I was bummed about was the 16GB storage. The SD slot is great, and I'm sure I'll have to use it shortly.

The tablet itself flies. Plenty of speed, never gets bogged down like my nexus7. Feels great in the hand(s) and the chin isn't an issue at all. It grows on you as you use it. The camera is so so. The measurement feature was taken away in the last update for some reason. My guess is that they will bring it back after some tinkering. Hopefully they have a case out for this thing soon. I hate carrying it around without anything to grip on it.

If you pick one up you won't regret it. The screen is completely worth it. Especially without a bezel. Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I've picked one of these up also and its a really nice tablet, but one thing that really gripes me is for $400 you think the would include a Sim ejection tool to be able to insert the SD card.... Obviously they didnt.

I have a Nexus 9, a Shield tablet and this new Dell and I would go so far to say the dell is my fave.

The screen is superb, just as good as the tab S, looks stunning
The Intel chip set does not seem to bog down at all, in fact in daily use its faster then both my other K1 devices..... I'm not an android gamer so I cannot comment on games

Feel good in the hand, has a really premium build, the two speakers sound really well and every bit as good as the nexus 9 even though they are not separated on each side of the unit.

For me this SHOULD have been what the Nexus 9 turned out to be like.

Only cons so far are are no lollipop yet, and lack of cases. Also the camera seems to be poor on my unit considering that's one of its selling points... But who uses a camera on a tablet right?

My advice is if you grab one of these then go to the post office 1st.... Get a movers pack and use the 10% off Best Buy coupon... $369 is a good price for this

rigg

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Angry, I have my 2nd Nexus 9 on the way but your comments piqued my interest in the Dell. If u could only keep one between the Dell and the N9, you would keep the Dell?

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Angry, I have my 2nd Nexus 9 on the way but your comments piqued my interest in the Dell. If u could only keep one between the Dell and the N9, you would keep the Dell?

100% the Dell. As I said earlier I don't play games at all on my tablets so I cannot say how good the dell is when it comes to that.

Hold the Dell next to the $429 Nexus 9 and build quality is like night and day.

Hold the Dell Next to the $299 Shield Tablet and you can see where the extra money comes in, the screen alone is worth the extra. And again the build quality is amazing.

The speakers on the Dell blow both the other tablet away, the more I've used them and tinkered with MaxxAudio the better it has become.

This tablet has no light bleed, wonderful colors with great blacks, its fast and every app I've used has worked no issues with the Intel chipset

If you are using a device as a media consumption device then this tablet is for anyone.

If your a gamer I would say your K1 tablets are the way to go.

1 other con I've found with the dell is that the volume and power are on the left side of the tablet with power being close to the top, its quite awkward to hit if your screen dims. This tablet really needs double tap to wake

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
100% the Dell. As I said earlier I don't play games at all on my tablets so I cannot say how good the dell is when it comes to that.

Hold the Dell next to the $429 Nexus 9 and build quality is like night and day.

Hold the Dell Next to the $299 Shield Tablet and you can see where the extra money comes in, the screen alone is worth the extra. And again the build quality is amazing.

The speakers on the Dell blow both the other tablet away, the more I've used them and tinkered with MaxxAudio the better it has become.

This tablet has no light bleed, wonderful colors with great blacks, its fast and every app I've used has worked no issues with the Intel chipset

If you are using a device as a media consumption device then this tablet is for anyone.

If your a gamer I would say your K1 tablets are the way to go.

1 other con I've found with the dell is that the volume and power are on the left side of the tablet with power being close to the top, its quite awkward to hit if your screen dims. This tablet really needs double tap to wake

I'll second everything said above. I was at Peet's coffee the other day and was asked by 3 different people what I was using. It really does grab attention.

rigg

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Headed to Best Buy at 11:00AM PST to pick up the Dell. The fact that you're going to Peet's over Starbucks was the clincher.

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. Headed to Best Buy at 11:00AM PST to pick up the Dell. The fact that you're going to Peet's over Starbucks was the clincher.

Haha. That is the only place I go now. Converted the whole office to Peet's. Best thing to happen to DC in a long time!

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
i never noticed anything until i read this, its not slowness but when closing an app it does seem to occasionally have a couple of frames missing from the animation. certainly not slow though

quadtronix

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about picking one of these up... actually still thinking about it. I have the N9 and Shield Tablet, both of which are great IMO. But my Shield Tablet is having problems with the nook app by Barnes and Noble which is where half my books are. The other half are on Kindle which works great so I'm currently using the nook app on my Droid Turbo and the Kindle app on my Shield Tablet. It would be nice to have all my ebooks in one place though. So thinking about picking this up. The other problem with using my Turbo for nook app is that I can't read magazines on a phone. They don't even show up in my library on the Turbo. I'm subscribed to Wired and I haven't been able to read it since I've had this problem. Sure I could read it on my N9 but who wants to carry around two tablets, one just for magazines? It's frustrating but not the end of the world. I guess what I'll do is wait for the reviews and do some investigating before making a final decision.

Speaking of which, I have a couple questions for those that have this tablet already...

-Can anyone vouch for the reliability of the Kindle and or Nook apps on the Venue?
-Does anyone know when Lollipop will be released for this tablet?
-how long does it take to charge from any given percentage of battery life.
-how much storage is available out of box and how many GB is the base configuration for $399?
-How is touch sensitivity? any problems? I ask because I had a Dell Venue 8 pro windows tablet a while back and it had major touch issues...
-How does this tablet compare to other tablets you all own?

Thanks in advance for any feedback possible and for all the impressions already covered so far... My interest is definitely piqued!