05-19-2015 05:51 PM
74 123
tools
    I hope that sschimel got the correct information and the Lollipop update started rolling out today. I know if anyone receives it they'll post to this thread.
    On 4/22/15, I was told it will come tomorrow.
    04-22-2015 01:10 PM
    On 4/22/15, I was told it will come tomorrow.
    Told by whom? The dell admins haven't even announced the new date yet over at the official forum.
    04-22-2015 02:25 PM
    Here is the latest post I saw from Terry B on the Dell Community Forum:

Terry B, April 21
    I unfortunately have just received word that there has been a problem with the Android 5.01 Lollipop update scheduled for today and the OTA has been postponed. Dell is working on resolving any issues with the OTA and hopes to have it released as quickly as possible. The update for Lollipop is coming. I will continue to post any updates here as soon as I receive them.
    04-22-2015 05:39 PM
    I'm sure Dell had a good reason for pulling the Lollipop update but the company's lack of communication with its customers bothers me.
    04-26-2015 08:22 PM
    I reached out to AndroidPolice, who then reached out to their Dell contact. I heard back from them yesterday. This is what he said:

"I got a response (from Dell), but they asked not to share it. Basically, it'll be ready soon, but not just yet. They know people are waiting for it."

I asked him if, in his opinion, we were talking days or weeks and this was his reply:

"I can't say, unfortunately. They don't even know."

So there is definitely something up with the update. And it's obviously something that Dell is concerned with not sharing with the general public. Your guess is as good as mine. Not good news though.
    04-28-2015 09:05 AM
    I just hope they make it 5.1 so we don't get the memory leaks I have heard others getting. I also would love to see it and be able to use my SD card as additional memory, but more importantly is that it is stable. So I will continue to wait.
    04-28-2015 03:34 PM
    I'll be the first to admit I've been rather impatient with this release. However, after seeing the mess that unfolded with my Nexus7 when lollipop was first released i'm willing to accept this delay. I really do love this tablet, and use it A LOT throughout the day. It's so smooth and quick, it just isn't worth Dell releasing something half baked. If they are delaying this for 5.1, i'm all for it.
    04-28-2015 03:45 PM
    I too am looking forward to this release. I love the build of the tablet, but I haven't used it much - the software just seems so slow and sluggish.

I've done a factory reset several times, but still get a tablet that doesn't run anywhere as smoothly as my Nexus 6 phone.

Was hoping the 5.1 upgrade would help with this.

Anyone else finding the tablet a bit slow on KitKat?
    04-29-2015 05:09 AM
    Thanks, Jeffro Bodine, for your efforts to find out what's happening with Lollipop. I'm sure Dell faces more problems than usual because of the Intel chip, but I expected Intel to provide help to Dell in order to get their chip established on mobile devices. I guess I can't complain too much -- my T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4 was just updated to Android 5.0.1 this morning.

In answer to LWR999's question, my tablet's operation is smooth with KitKat.
    04-29-2015 11:49 AM
    Have I found it slow? Yes and No. Certain apps seem to run slow during certain activities, Tidal downloads for offline listening makes it feel like I'm moving through clay. Like some other Android devices not turning it off for a long period of time and leaving a lot of apps running in the background makes it act a bit wonky.

This doesn't run nearly as bad as the Venue 8 3000 update (3840). That was just.... terrible. Unusable.

Anyway, this was my first post and stumbled on the discussion and wanted to chime in. Aside from the occasional slowness and the oversaturation of colors I find this to be a great tablet.
    04-29-2015 10:03 PM
    AndroidPolice has run a terrific story about Dell's failure to update the 7840, as well as their lies and lack of transparency. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Dell Still Hasn't Updated The Venue 8 7840 To Lollipop, But It Might Happen Soon... Maybe (If You're Lucky)
    05-06-2015 08:26 AM
    I'm not sure this adverse publicity is helpful to us as owners of the tablet. Sure, it will hurt tablet sales, but the fewer tablets Dell sells the less incentive the company has to support the tablet. I've always had good customer service from Dell and the company's lack of communication on this issue is anything but good customer service. However, despite the poor judgment to avoid keeping customers informed, Dell must have a good reason for not releasing the update, and I'd rather have my tablet running Android 4.4 than having it bricked by a faulty update.

I made this same post to the Dell Mobile Devices Forum.
    05-06-2015 11:49 AM
    I don't see this story as being an issue. Based on my experience with other Dell products, Dell will update this tablet to Lollipop and then be done with it, unless there is a major problem. The purpose of the story is not to rush out a buggy, unfinished update, but instead to promote TRANSPARENCY with the user base. We all only want communication and honesty. I, for one, am ecstatic to see the story.
    05-07-2015 01:08 PM
    Receiving a new rather large update,

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-08-2015 05:03 AM
    I just got the update 5.0.2. Thanks for all the info guys. I have enjoyed following this thread.
    LukeT32 likes this.
    05-08-2015 09:53 AM
    Ok now that I have gotten it, can anyone tell me what the star icon is for on the status bar? I is between the bluetooth and alarm icons.
    05-08-2015 10:27 AM
    Confirmed, I have the update as well!
    05-08-2015 10:37 AM
    Ok now that I have gotten it, can anyone tell me what the star icon is for on the status bar? I is between the bluetooth and alarm icons.
    I don't see this icon, can you post a screenshot?
    05-08-2015 10:38 AM
    Loading the update now... Hopefully Lollipop on my tablet is smoother then on my G2... It's a train wreck.
    05-08-2015 10:40 AM
    I am a freak when I get an update. I don't trust that everything was upgraded properly, so I am in the middle of a factory reset. If the star is still there when I am done I will post a screenshot. The odd thing was that nothing was showing up in notifications other than the Max Audio or whatever that thing is. It actually looked like the star from a twitter notification when someone favorites a tweet.
    05-08-2015 11:08 AM
    So what do you say? I can't update until I get home from work, but i'm pumped! How does everyone like the update so far?
    05-08-2015 11:12 AM
    I like the notifications on the lock screen, and love the new settings look. I don't like the notifications pulldown because it feels a little cramped. I also have a hard time unlocking the device. LOL! I guess I am not good a touching that lock icon. :-)
    05-08-2015 11:40 AM
    How do I apply widgets left of my home screen? Only works to the right for me..
    05-08-2015 12:08 PM
    How do I apply widgets left of my home screen? Only works to the right for me..
    I noticed that too, it's like the Google now launcher without the now. I personally use Nova prime.

Posted via the Android Central App
    anon(9146492) likes this.
    05-08-2015 12:18 PM
    An Android Central news item from today indicates that the Lollipop update has forced encryption.

How is everyone's performance?

I'm getting mine delivered Monday, probably still on KitKat. Should I update?
    05-08-2015 12:29 PM
74 123