Android 5 Lollipop coming to the Venue 8 7840 Tablet On April 21st.

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I hope that sschimel got the correct information and the Lollipop update started rolling out today. I know if anyone receives it they'll post to this thread.

tabs007

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I've been getting by using an app called Folder Mount which basically does a sym link to the SD Card. It allows me to move Android/Data and Android/OBB folders to SD and has been well worth the $2.99 price of admission to redirect 21gb of app data. Note: I am not affiliated in any way with the developers, I just thought it would be useful for those who like me want to make full use if the external Micro SD card.

Jeffro Bodine

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been getting by using an app called Folder Mount which basically does a sym link to the SD Card. It allows me to move Android/Data and Android/OBB folders to SD and has been well worth the $2.99 price of admission to redirect 21gb of app data. Note: I am not affiliated in any way with the developers, I just thought it would be useful for those who like me want to make full use if the external Micro SD card.

Doesn't folder mount require root?

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Here is the latest post I saw from Terry B on the Dell Community Forum:

Terry B, April 21
I unfortunately have just received word that there has been a problem with the Android 5.01 Lollipop update scheduled for today and the OTA has been postponed. Dell is working on resolving any issues with the OTA and hopes to have it released as quickly as possible. The update for Lollipop is coming. I will continue to post any updates here as soon as I receive them.

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure Dell had a good reason for pulling the Lollipop update but the company's lack of communication with its customers bothers me.

Last edited:

Jeffro Bodine

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I reached out to AndroidPolice, who then reached out to their Dell contact. I heard back from them yesterday. This is what he said:

"I got a response (from Dell), but they asked not to share it. Basically, it'll be ready soon, but not just yet. They know people are waiting for it."

I asked him if, in his opinion, we were talking days or weeks and this was his reply:

"I can't say, unfortunately. They don't even know."

So there is definitely something up with the update. And it's obviously something that Dell is concerned with not sharing with the general public. Your guess is as good as mine. Not good news though.

Feldhege

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I just hope they make it 5.1 so we don't get the memory leaks I have heard others getting. I also would love to see it and be able to use my SD card as additional memory, but more importantly is that it is stable. So I will continue to wait. :)

cpolism

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I'll be the first to admit I've been rather impatient with this release. However, after seeing the mess that unfolded with my Nexus7 when lollipop was first released i'm willing to accept this delay. I really do love this tablet, and use it A LOT throughout the day. It's so smooth and quick, it just isn't worth Dell releasing something half baked. If they are delaying this for 5.1, i'm all for it.

LWR999

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I too am looking forward to this release. I love the build of the tablet, but I haven't used it much - the software just seems so slow and sluggish.

I've done a factory reset several times, but still get a tablet that doesn't run anywhere as smoothly as my Nexus 6 phone.

Was hoping the 5.1 upgrade would help with this.

Anyone else finding the tablet a bit slow on KitKat?

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, Jeffro Bodine, for your efforts to find out what's happening with Lollipop. I'm sure Dell faces more problems than usual because of the Intel chip, but I expected Intel to provide help to Dell in order to get their chip established on mobile devices. I guess I can't complain too much -- my T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4 was just updated to Android 5.0.1 this morning.

In answer to LWR999's question, my tablet's operation is smooth with KitKat.

mikedk1982

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Have I found it slow? Yes and No. Certain apps seem to run slow during certain activities, Tidal downloads for offline listening makes it feel like I'm moving through clay. Like some other Android devices not turning it off for a long period of time and leaving a lot of apps running in the background makes it act a bit wonky.

This doesn't run nearly as bad as the Venue 8 3000 update (3840). That was just.... terrible. Unusable.

Anyway, this was my first post and stumbled on the discussion and wanted to chime in. Aside from the occasional slowness and the oversaturation of colors I find this to be a great tablet.

Willy_P

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure this adverse publicity is helpful to us as owners of the tablet. Sure, it will hurt tablet sales, but the fewer tablets Dell sells the less incentive the company has to support the tablet. I've always had good customer service from Dell and the company's lack of communication on this issue is anything but good customer service. However, despite the poor judgment to avoid keeping customers informed, Dell must have a good reason for not releasing the update, and I'd rather have my tablet running Android 4.4 than having it bricked by a faulty update.

I made this same post to the Dell Mobile Devices Forum.

Jeffro Bodine

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't see this story as being an issue. Based on my experience with other Dell products, Dell will update this tablet to Lollipop and then be done with it, unless there is a major problem. The purpose of the story is not to rush out a buggy, unfinished update, but instead to promote TRANSPARENCY with the user base. We all only want communication and honesty. I, for one, am ecstatic to see the story.