New Firmware Update Today - Lollipop 5.1

scopeman

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine just completed the update. Running pretty smooth right now, and screen rotation lag seems to have gone away also. Now this tablet is starting to look pretty good..... 😀😀😀😀

Posted via the Android Central App

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Updated. Too soon to tell how its going. But, upon reboot and then another restart I get "unfortunately bootupdater10 has stopped". So far everything works though.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I also keep getting "hangouts has stopped". Even though I never use hangouts. In fact i!m pretty sure I disabled it. Can't even find it.

Otherwise, YouTube plays smoother. Home screen scrolling is smoother.

scopeman

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Been running the tablet all day with no problems. The biggest improvement for me is the absence of lagging when rotating the tablet from portrait to landscape and then back again. Also, it's running much smoother with Android 5.1. This has been a very welcomed update. Thanks Dell.

Posted via the Android Central App

nishant786

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I also keep getting "hangouts has stopped". Even though I never use hangouts. In fact i!m pretty sure I disabled it. Can't even find it.

Thats a 5.1 issue on every device every brand. Disable hangouts and that message will hound you.

Metawrk

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone experienced issues with random audio crackling? Haven't had this happen until 5.1 (4.4.4 & 5.0.2 were fine). I'm noticing it more when pressing the delete/backspace key. Was thinking maybe an issue with the Maxx audio but still happening after disabling it.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site

YouTube does seem a bit more responsive.

Jeffro Bodine

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone experienced issues with random audio crackling? Haven't had this happen until 5.1 (4.4.4 & 5.0.2 were fine). I'm noticing it more when pressing the delete/backspace key. Was thinking maybe an issue with the Maxx audio but still happening after disabling it.
YES. My speakers are now crackling and they never did that before.

Here's an 18 page thread about audio popping and hissing after the 5.1 update for the Nvidia Shield Tablet. Our problem looks eerily similar. Nvidia actually pulled the update until they could research the problem and thusfar they have not rolled out a fix.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/834884/shield-tablet/speakers-damaged-after-3-0-update/1/

Last edited:

jakuum

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Yup, same thing happening on my tablet after the 5.1 update

Metawrk

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys, I did a little looking around and found a few similar threads. Well, I can't say that I see Dell fixing this anytime soon. I was hoping we'd get 5.1.1 but I'm thinking that might not help this issue. If I come across anything I'll post it back here.

Thanks again,
Jason

jparmar91

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Received my OTA Lollipop 5.1 update today. Installed successfully eventually - the first time failed due to lack of internal space. Deleted some large files and problem solved. All good so far - no problems with speaker crackle. I can finally move some large gaming apps to my SD card that weren't having it before! Woo.

Metawrk

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I went ahead and did a complete factory restore with the audio issue persisting. After looking over the Nvidia thread I'd have to agree that these two devices seem to be having similar audio issues. Two points of interest here, 1. Nvidia runs on ARM and the Venue is Intel and 2. Nvidia still hasn't been able to find a fix. It seems strange that two different hardware architectures experience the same issue but if so maybe something's up at the kernel level?

It's difficult to see how the OS code could damage the speakers but after hearing the horrible sounds coming from a simple YT video today I can't see how long term this won't ruin them. I posted something on this over in the Dell Forums along with another Venue owner, waiting to see if there's any response. I'm going to try and put in a call to their support line too.

-Jason

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Since the update, overall its faster.

Some weird/bad issues:
1) I have the same speaker crackling issue as well.
2) The Google now search bar doesn't load properly in landscape mode. Can't see it at all in portrait mode
3) I'm a game player. My favorite game, Injustice Gods Among Us, now force closes 20 seconds into the game. (This is also after a full reset).

madcap386

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
dyastrab, Did you encounter any graphical issues when running Injustice?

Cos the first time i tried on my venue, the damage texts does not show. :(

cybersud

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone comment on whether the crackling is only on the speakers or is it also with Headphones? I only headphones and am trying to decide whether to upgrade. Thanks

Metawrk

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
At first I thought it was speakers only but last night it started coming through headphones too while typing. I did notice the crackling seemed to occur more infrequently yesterday overall, not sure what that's all about but it is definitely still a ongoing issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm