Kotlin or java?

THGDev

May 4, 2019
Visit site
I think Kotlin is the good way to go. I used to develop with Java, tried Kotlin the first time and not quite like it. But in my next project, I chose it, and really satisfy with it. Besides, it makes my code more concise and less boilerplate, so I like it.

UnyteLux

Jul 5, 2019
Visit site
Kotlin is certainly the way to go for new projects. However, this has to be balanced against the fact that there is soooo much more well documented sample code for everything imaginable in Java. You could also run into an issue with wanting to use a third party service - e.g. instant messaging - which only provides an API for Java.

sagartrivedi

Aug 1, 2019
Visit site
In domains where Kotlin adaptation has been extremely aggressive (eg, Android application development), I strongly recommend adoption of Kotlin. Another good case for Kotlin is the Gradle Kotlin DSL—Groovy is a dying language, so you might as well go for it.

In other domains, especially in enterprise business programming, I recommend a wait-and see approach. The labor pool for experienced Java programmers is at least two orders of magnitude greater than it is for Kotlin. Forcing talented, experienced engineers to spend several months of their productive efforts learning a new language is generally not a good idea when choosing a language for software that is mission critical.

All Java developers should look for opportunities to learn and embrace Kotlin, because while I think Kotlin has not quite left the “fad zone” yet, it has managed to avoid repeating the mistakes of Scala and Clojure, and there’s a higher probability that Kotlin skills will pay off in the future. This is especially true if “serverless” architecture trends prevail and middle-tier devs become increasingly forced into the full-stack domain. Kotlin is a good bet for the future.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First, how young? Anyone under the age of 10 probably hasn't learned programming yet, so they should stick to Logo, which was designed as a :physical programming language" for ages 4-16.

At 16, a person can start learning programming (also called computer science these days - I come from programming in the 70s), but what with school and other things, it will probably take about 4 years.

Then - programming is programming. For at least 3 or 4 years, you can't think in a programming language yet, so you develop the program in English, then code it into a programming language. And Kotlin is simpler than Java, but Java gets you closer to the metal if you need it. (And they can be mixed in the same app.)

Or you can pick a programming language and start teaching it to a "young developer" and end up with a "developer", not a developer. Someone who gets online in a programming forum and asks "What's a loop?" Of course, we have tens of thousands of "developers" already, which is why we have some pretty terible programs (or apps, if you prefer). There's a saying in the industry - "5% of the programmers develop 95% of the programs." (The other 95% ask "how do you do this?".) It also sets the "young devloper up for early failure, and disgust at him or herself for not "getting it".

The labor pool for experienced Java programmers is at least two orders of magnitude greater than it is for Kotlin
Are you deliberately being terribly understated, or was that meant as a joke? (Poe's law prevails here.)

Maelstorm1973

Feb 27, 2020
Visit site
Being an older developer, for Android apps, I will go with Java. It's tried and true. I will switch to Koltin if I have to so the wait and see approach is what works for me...especially with the Oracle lawsuit against Google still winding it's way through the courts (I think it's before the U.S. Supreme Court now). This is coming from someone who's main go to language is C and C++.

namquyuit

Mar 9, 2020
Visit site
I worked all both Java and Kotlin. I really love Kotlin after several days I worked on. Its syntax is clean and easy to use. It supports extensions, safe checking, and short syntaxes. And you can easy to convert Java file to Kotlin using Android Studio.

It's a modern language that I think you should try and learn from now. It's similar to Swift.

I think it's hard to say which is the best. It's your choice and favor. ;)

Jul 5, 2020
Visit site
Personally , I think learning Java first over Kotlin has its advantages : Java is very popular for development outside of android, so it may be easier for the young developer to move over to develop web apps etc if s/he knows Java well...Of course ideally the young developer learns both Java and Kotlin in the end

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21