How can i protect my android app?

kakyal

Jun 14, 2019
Visit site
Hi
I will appreciate your help.
I have got an android app developed from a freelancer developer.
I published my app on play store.
If my developer changes the package name and publishes that same app with his name/from his or her account, will there be any problem for my app?

How can I secure my app?

Thanks
Kakyal

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Your contract with the developer should cover such instances. I would have a legal agreement that prevents the developer from releasing the product on their own under a different name before allowing them to do any work on the project.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You should have a non-disclosure agreement and a non-compete agreement with the paperwork the developer signed before starting to work on the app.

You can't prevent him from violating them, but you can sue him if he does.

(Of course, if he's in some other country, it might cost you more to sue than what you'd collect, which is why it's best to use local developers. You can get cheap developers from some countries, but you get what you pay for. [And yes, $100/hour is a normal rate for a good developer in the US. $25 for the whole job says "give me your idea to steal - you'll get an app that sort of works, but I'll fill in all the missing pieces and sell it under my name".])

CybX

Jun 20, 2019
Visit site
A non-disclosure and non-compete agreement might not cover you. There are some cases where it can be nulled. To get proper protection you should really seek the help of a lawyer. Nothing ever protects you better than this.

I can't post links, but the trademakrhub have good info on this. Take a look on there and do a Google search with "lawyer" or "consultation" in the search, along with the stuff you need

Best of luck.