SLCD, SAMOLED, Pentile, RGB Does it matter?

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Well said.

Your black is never going to be totally black. Get over it, it's not that big of a deal. Any one saying black level really matters on a cell phone is just someone looking for an excuse to hate on the phone.

Brightness on the other hand, translates to outdoor usability. It's critical.

Sent from my HOX

As one who has seen Netflix on an LCD and Amoled screen at the same time...its not an excuse to hate....

Its called preference. Movies look better....to me.....on my RAZR because of the blacks and colors. Some want the blacker blacks, some want the sharper screen res. Some want more accurate colors, some want over saturated colors.

At the end of the day...preference is gonna outweigh everything else.

My Rezound is whiter and brighter vs. my RAZR. My RAZR has better outdoor viewing and better viewing angles tho...

Its has to be more than brightness for better outdoor viewing. My Rezound is like a mirror...making it alot harder to see outdoors vs my RAZR.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
SAMOLED's trick is optically bonding the display to the outer glass, and other tricks in the matrix of the panel to reduce glare. So yes, brightness isn't everything for outdoor viewing, but it's the easiest to achieve, and then just imagine SAMOLED with the same brightness as, say, the One X or iPhone 4S. It would rule in outdoor viewing. The reason Samsung had to go to such "extreme" engineering measures to make it that viewable outdoors is because of it's lack of ability to get bright enough for direct sunlight viewing.

And yes, personal preference has a lot to do with which display a person will like and choose, but that won't change the fact that they might like a display that is technically inaccurate and inferior to a different display.

To expand on black levels a bit, they do matter. If you have too high of a black level then dark grays and blues will basically look like black. This is because the display can't go black enough to differentiate between them. The OG EVO was like this. Newer LCD's are a lot better in this area, and certain panels in tv's are actually only worse when you measure it (looking at you Sharp Elite), but in regular viewing you have to try hard to see the difference.

Reactions: jroc

Note2Lover

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
A very informative post Kevin!! Thanks :)

Here's a question:
How does the Note 2's SAMOLED display with RGB matrix stack up against the SLCD2 display using the RGB matrix arrangement?
I know the SLCD2 is still better; but by how much?

Also, since the Note 2 has an HD SAMOLED display implementing the RGB matrix arrangement, technically that means it is HD SAMOLED+, or is it?

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
A very informative post Kevin!! Thanks :)

Here's a question:
How does the Note 2's SAMOLED display with RGB matrix stack up against the SLCD2 display using the RGB matrix arrangement?
I know the SLCD2 is still better; but by how much?

Also, since the Note 2 has an HD SAMOLED display implementing the RGB matrix arrangement, technically that means it is HD SAMOLED+, or is it?

I haven't personally seen them side by side, but the SLCD2 still has an advantage in outdoor visibility as it's noticeably brighter still. It'll also probalbly still have more accurate colors and whites, too, but the AMOLED will still rule in blacks.

Samsung probably skipped putting a "+" on the end due to the layout of the subpixels. They aren't equal size, and aren't all next to each other. Samsung still made the blue larger to account for the faster degradation. I imagine this will trickle down eventually, but the physical size is probably why they had to put this in the Note 2 and not the S3.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
My galaxy S2 after nearly a year of use starting to have burnouts... i didnt expected to see those so fast :p hopefully they will extend life time of OLED

AMOLED always will have better in blacks for natural reasons, LCD doesn't emit light by it self, it works like filter, it need backlight and on black LCD does not filter light compliantly, AMOLED emit light by itself and simply does not lit on black, every technology that emits light by it self always will have superior blacks to LCD.... or else LCD-like technologies will find way to avoid those light leaks thru black. But on other hand technologiesthat emit light have problem of burnouts as enery that they emit slowly killing it, LCD has that too but as it is backlight that do all the work it burning out in balance (usally) and whole screen loose brightness or change color which make you not notice a burning out

Last edited:

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
My galaxy S2 after nearly a year of use starting to have burnouts... i didnt expected to see those so fast :p hopefully they will extend life time of OLED

AMOLED always will have better in blacks for natural reasons, LCD doesn't emit light by it self, it works like filter, it need backlight and on black LCD does not filter light compliantly, AMOLED emit light by itself and simply does not lit on black, every technology that emits light by it self always will have superior blacks to LCD.... or else LCD-like technologies will find way to avoid those light leaks thru black. But on other hand technologiesthat emit light have problem of burnouts as enery that they emit slowly killing it, LCD has that too but as it is backlight that do all the work it burning out in balance (usally) and whole screen loose brightness or change color which make you not notice a burning out

After all of these posts, I'm not sure it is necessary to lecture us once again on how led vs lcd works.

Run this simple test :
Hand your HTC One to a S3 own who has not seen one before.

The first thing out of their mouth will be WOW.

The silly argument about blacker blacks just doesn't matter in the real world.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
After all of these posts, I'm not sure it is necessary to lecture us once again on how led vs lcd works.

Run this simple test :

The blacker blacks do matter. It can be hard to distriguish true black from dark grey on LCD displays. This can be a big deal when (for example) watching a movie with very dark shadowy scenes. I'm sure there are other situations where it makes a difference, but this is where I've experienced it. That being said, I still prefer LCD over AMOLED.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
We are talking about a cell phone here.
How important can the movie watching experience be?

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

Run this simple test :

Been through that before sure the One X screen is nice but it wasn't much of a wow factor for me.

In the real world it doesn't matter what's considered the "best", all that matters is what you like the best.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The blacker blacks do matter. It can be hard to distriguish true black from dark grey on LCD displays. This can be a big deal when (for example) watching a movie with very dark shadowy scenes. I'm sure there are other situations where it makes a difference, but this is where I've experienced it. That being said, I still prefer LCD over AMOLED.

Yes but luckily the One X has a black level that's low enough to make this almost a non-issue.

But because of the lack of a proper white point (AMOLED won't display a TRUE white, ever), and the general lack of overall brightness those same shadows can get "squished" and lose any granularity they might've had.

There are a few reasons for this, and I think they've been discussed in this thread already. If not I apologize and would be more than willing to explain it again.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
We are talking about a cell phone here.
How important can the movie watching experience be?

Apparently you don't know how many millions of people stream and download TV shows and movies to watch on their phones. These aren't just cell phones; these are media consumptions devices. The Netflix app has between 10 million and 50 million downloads. The vast majority of those are people watching TV and movies on the go on their phones, because Android tablets make up a small minority in the Android ecosystem, and there are much better ways to get Netflix to your TV then over a cell phone. And that's only one app...

You may not do it, but the movie and TV watching experience is very important to a lot of people.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
FYI, Erica (from XDA TV) did a REALLY good video on the different display technologies, including pixel arrangement, color saturation, outdoor readability, ghosting, blue pixel burning, etc. It's a 15 minute video, but it's really good. I'd recommend it.

Edit: A lot of the info in the video has already been covered here, but it's definitely nice to see examples.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
New SuperLCD 3 technology has come out. Any differences?

It's hard to find information on the screen tech that HTC uses. My best guess would be (aside from the resolution) would be improved color accuracy and contrast ratio. But honestly it might just be the resolution.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2

TheMediocreMaestro

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to find information on the screen tech that HTC uses. My best guess would be (aside from the resolution) would be improved color accuracy and contrast ratio. But honestly it might just be the resolution.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
Both of those things are touted as well as improved power efficiency

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I find my s3 screen has so much better and saturated colour than any lcd on the market, the only thing I find bad about the pentile samoled is the brightness and how bad the screen is in the sun

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I find my s3 screen has so much better and saturated colour than any lcd on the market, the only thing I find bad about the pentile samoled is the brightness and how bad the screen is in the sun

Better by what definition? Not better technically, as per measured tests. But a LOT of people prefer the look of AMOLED displays because they are generally "cooler" and the colors "pop" more because of the over saturation.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

over-saturation =/ better colors.

icyrock1

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
galaxy-s4-vs-galaxy-note-2-vs-galaxy-s3-pixel-matrix-1.jpg

Link

Galaxy S4 apparently has a new Sub Pixel layout; and I found an interesting article comparing the screens of some of todays best phones.

screen-comparison-galaxy-s4.jpg

The Galaxy S4 look's hella green from the close up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair