01-17-2015 09:17 AM
39 12
tools
    When reading a pdf file on Gotab GTD7 the screen zooms in and or out when the screen is touched to scroll to next page. Can this be disabled? Can a zoom you are happy with be locked so it does not change when touched.

Magnification gestures are off

I was unable to ask a question without registration as stated. It said username was wrong but no space to enter a username, only a captcha
    12-12-2014 02:49 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which app are you using to view the PDF?
    12-14-2014 01:54 AM
    adobe reader. I do not want any app that wants to know my location or access my card . i only want to read the book without the page zooming in and out

Thanks
    12-14-2014 09:29 AM
    Is it possible that when you touch the screen to start the scrolling gesture, that you're inadvertently double-tapping, which would cause it to zoom?

Are there any other options turned on in ​Settings>Accessibility?
    12-14-2014 12:51 PM
    Is it possible that when you touch the screen to start the scrolling gesture, that you're inadvertently double-tapping, which would cause it to zoom?
    no not double tapping

Are there any other options turned on in ​Settings>Accessibility?
    only auto rotate screen.
    12-15-2014 04:12 AM
    Tried it on my 2013 Nexus 7, which works fine. Do you have the most recent version (11.7.1) installed? It might be some specific bug with your device.
    12-15-2014 11:30 AM
    most recent version of reader?
    12-15-2014 10:09 PM
    Yes, what version do you have installed? The most recent version is 11.7.1.
    12-16-2014 12:48 AM
    I cannot find where to check the version.
    12-16-2014 04:06 AM
    Open Adobe Reader, tap the Menu button, then About Adobe Reader.
    12-16-2014 09:13 AM
    Open Adobe Reader, tap the Menu button, then About Adobe Reader.
    Thanks. It is is 11.1.3 build 86198. Now how do I update it? I got a free download but it wanted to charge me when i clicked install?

I have to say android is trash. Far too complex. i will get a windows tablet soon. I have a windows phone and it is far far far easier to use. Android seem to go out of their way to make it difficulty.
    12-16-2014 11:38 AM
    It's simply a matter of opening your Google Play Store app and updating your Adobe Reader app. Swipe in from the left, tap My Apps, and look for an update for Adobe Reader (and any other apps that have an update). If you don't see it there, then search for Adobe Reader in the Play Store, and see if there is a button that says "Update."

I'm afraid I can't agree with you about Android--I think it's great. You have a pretty low-budget device, so you're bound to get subpar performance. This is relatively common--people get a budget Android device from an off-brand company, with poor specs and often glitchy firmware, and then come to the conclusion that Android is a poor platform. You'd probably have a better experience if you had a device from a better-known manufacturer like Asus, LG, Samsung, Acer, Lenovo, or Toshiba. Good luck with the Windows Tablet.
    SpookDroid likes this.
    12-16-2014 11:57 AM
    I would suggest Kingsoft office. Free on play and does not ask for the permissions you are trying to avoid. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ps.moffice_eng

From an AOSP M8
    12-16-2014 12:06 PM
    It's simply a matter of opening your Google Play Store app and updating your Adobe Reader app. Swipe in from the left, tap My Apps, and look for an update for Adobe Reader (and any other apps that have an update). If you don't see it there, then search for Adobe Reader in the Play Store, and see if there is a button that says "Update."

I'm afraid I can't agree with you about Android--I think it's great. You have a pretty low-budget device, so you're bound to get subpar performance. This is relatively common--people get a budget Android device from an off-brand company, with poor specs and often glitchy firmware, and then come to the conclusion that Android is a poor platform. You'd probably have a better experience if you had a device from a better-known manufacturer like Asus, LG, Samsung, Acer, Lenovo, or Toshiba. Good luck with the Windows Tablet.
    thanks for yor help. Do the good brands hava a back button etc
    12-16-2014 01:23 PM
    For the most part, only Samsung continues to include capacitative buttons on their devices. Most of the other higher end companies rely on the soft buttons onscreen.
    12-16-2014 05:08 PM
    The same thing happens reading pdf in kingsoft . The page keeps changing size and it will not show thumbnails for all files. some files once opened will have a thumbnail but not all.
    12-17-2014 06:19 AM
    I was looking at pdfs inn the store as I want to get one that is easy to use.In case anyone knows I want one that
    1Does not need many permissions see no need for phone numer device bnumber etc. Do not want to connect to internet
    2Will remember page I was on when i open file again
    3Does not have this annoying change of page size when reading and you touch the page to go to next page
    4If possible read epubs and pdfs
    5 Does not phone home with silly stats

Why does a pdf reader need this permission

"Photos/Media/Files
    Uses one or more of: files on the device such as images, videos, or audio, the device's external storage "

Can it connect aywhere without knowlwdge or permision ofuser?

One needs following

"Photos/Media/Files
    Uses one or more of: files on the device such as images, videos, or audio, the device's external storage
    Device ID & call information
    Allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call ."

Why does it need to know Device ID & call information
    Allows the app to determine the phone number and device IDs, whether a call is active, and the remote number connected by a call .
    12-17-2014 06:23 AM
    12-17-2014 06:48 AM
    kingsoft is no longer available now wps and it allows the app to view information about Wi-Fi networking, such as whether Wi-Fi is enabled and names of connected Wi-Fi devices
    12-17-2014 02:35 PM
    Since any PDF reader app needs access to the files on your device, it stands to reason that it will need permission for the Photos/Media/Files. Remember that permissions can be pretty broad--for example, flashlight apps need Camera permission. Does that mean it's going to take pictures without your knowledge? No--it's because the LED flash (which is used as the flashlight) is part of the camera.

Device ID and Call Info might be needed if it allows you to select a phone number from the PDF and make a call.
    april raine likes this.
    12-17-2014 09:35 PM
    Device ID and call info are probably the permissions needed to suspend the app so a user can take a phone call.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-17-2014 11:47 PM
    I think people should be able to disable permissions.
    Remember that permissions can be pretty broad--for example, flashlight apps need Camera permission. Does that mean it's going to take pictures without your knowledge?
    Who knows. Could the app be programmed to do that and send them to a server . Someone reading a pdf could make a note of a phone number and minimise the pdf and make the call.
    One app i tired had access to photos files as permissions etc but installed had full network access downloaded stuff etc. went off my tablet pretty quick

I updated adobe reader and it does not seem to happen now. Thanks. When iopen adobe reader it shows recents. I have to go to documents to see all my books. How can I get it to open at documents?

Sorry if this posts twice sometime i get a message that my writing cannot be posted because of not having some token?
    12-18-2014 06:55 AM
    If you had the option to disable permissions, then there'd be a good chance the app would stop functioning normally. For major app developers like Adobe, it'd be very unlikely for the permissions to be abused.

I don't use Adobe Reader routinely, so I don't know if there's a way to open directly to the Documents screen.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    12-18-2014 01:04 PM
    in terms of abuse i did not mean adobe but smaller developers like the one i tried which had listed permissions different to the permissions it had
    12-18-2014 02:25 PM
    Yes, that's always a bit of a concern. I usually go by how many downloads it has, and what the reviews say.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    12-18-2014 04:56 PM
39 12