Will rooting Tab 3 SM-T217s allow upgrades for mirroring the video with a MHL to HDMI adaperer

Ervin Cox

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Tab 3 model SM-T217s. I want to project the video onto my hdmi TV. It appears that it will not support it, so I am wandering if a software change is all that is needed or is it a hardware issue?? Appreciate any feedback on this.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's probably some of both. To do it with an MHL adapter through the charging port it's probably hardware. To run Chromecast it's possibly software. (The app is free, and not all devices that support it are listed, so install it and see.) The Chromecast adapter itself is around for as little as $25.

As far as rooting, an update is supposed to make 2 checks before it starts updating the device - is this one of the stock ROMs I can update and has the device never been rooted? If the answer to either one is "no", the update "fails" - because updating the device could brick it. (Even if you root it, then unroot it, you could have made some changes while rooted that will cause a stock update to brick the device.)

M3t4

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
A bit off topic, but did you ever successfully root the SM-T217S? I would also be interested to know whether or not other Galaxy Tab roms would function properly on the Sprint model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs