Why does my Galaxy S5 screen stay black after being dropped?

A

AC Question

Galaxy S5 screen stays black after being dropped...

Hey guys so I dropped my S5 while it was in its case maybe 2 feet on to the concrete and it got a few scratches. After picking it up I realized that the screen would not turn on but the little light in the upper left hand corner still works as does the home and other buttons. It vibrates when turned on as well. Why is my screen staying black while everything else works? I have tried removing the battery and letting it sit for minutes on end and yes the battery is fully charged. Help?!?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 screen stays black after being dropped...

Best case it just came unplugged, worse case the LED is damaged. The only way to know is to open it up. If you have insurance I'd take it to a Corp store with a repair department. Since the digitizer and screen plug into different slots it's impossible to diagnose without opening the device.

Posted via the Android Central App

imabrat11

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site

This just happened to me as well and my screen can kind of come off but I can still put it back into place because the seal is still sticky enough. It doesn't look like anything is unplugged that I know of and I unfortunately dont have insurance on mine. The strip at the top on the inside is connected and the one at the bottom by the home button is kind of just dangling there when I pull the screen off slightly. Could that be my problem? If the LED was damaged would everything but the screen still light up and would it still vibrate when turning on?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site

If you have one dangling it needs to be reconnected. If you can't see the connection it may be sandwiched between the circuit boards. The phone will operate with out a screen and still vibrate. Actually you can still open apps and move around within the device as long as the digitizer is working and the device powers up. The LED only provides the display all input goes from the digitizer, the glass which you touch to move around the device. Anyway if you don't have insurance and you're feeling bold look on YouTube for a vid on how to replace the digitizer or LED for your model. Either will show you where the connections are and how to put them back together. It will also explain how to open the device although it seems you may have already done this.

Posted via the Android Central App