Let me begin by saying, you're welcome for the pure entertainment value and the "what not to do's" in my post. So, last Saturday I was at an adoption event and the min pin "Grim" I was holding knocked over my Frapacinno mocha latte on the table. Adoption papers were the covered so I grabbed them first, then I saw my phone. It appeared to only have been splashed with my yummy but now history beverage. I grabbed it wiped the screen and went on about the event. Upon getting home and plugging into charger (I know :/ ) the triangle and exclamation point came up on screen. I yanked the battery, SIM card, SD card out right then and threw it in a bag of rice. Shot to Wally world as it was late at this point, all they had was 91% isopropyl so I grabbed it. (99% has been elusive to find in my area) I gave my S5 a 2 hour bath, giving it a little shake from time to time. Pulled out and put in air tight container with rice for 3 days. Meanwhile I had an external battery charger, new battery, and cord overnighted to me. Upon powering it up, the screen was dark at the top,there was a vertical line running the length of the phone on the right, unresponsive to touch, home button and power button work. Also there is a small crack in the screen at the very top. My question is, is there any way of salvaging this phone at this point? Would a bath in 99% isopropyl do any good or am I looking at a paperweight at this point? Thanks in advance for any advice!
    PS Grim the min pin did get adopted.
    02-11-2016 08:03 PM
    Welcome to the forums. I think the phone is shot...and here is why: it wasn't just water, but coffee, sugar and cram/milk. A whole bunch of extras that can help causing a short in the circuitry.

If it were me, I would start the return process for the items you got, and file a claim for insurance if you have it. If not, there are a lot of inexpensive devices out there that can hold you over until you get to a renewal point.
    02-11-2016 09:09 PM
    threw it in a bag of rice
    That usually seals the phone's fate.

Shot to Wally world as it was late at this point, all they had was 91% isopropyl so I grabbed it. (99% has been elusive to find in my area)
    Even 75% is fine - it's what we used at my shops, since I could get a case for almost nothing.

I gave my S5 a 2 hour bath, giving it a little shake from time to time
    The 2 hours was wasted, and the "little" shake did nothing. You want to force alcohol into every crevice in the phone, over and over, to wash everything - like sugar, milk and coffee - out.

Pulled out and put in air tight container with rice for 3 days.
    Alcohol dries MUCH better than rice - and MUCH faster (on contact). You're not drying the alcohol out - if you "bathe" the phone right, all that's in it is - in your case - 91% alcohol, and that's dry enough. (Alcohol isn't water. BTW, if you open a bottle of 99% alcohol, and the humidity is over about 30%, it's no longer 99% alcohol - that's how fast it absorbs water. It sucks it right out of the air.)

My question is, is there any way of salvaging this phone at this point?
    Short of magic? I'm afraid not.

Would a bath in 99% isopropyl do any good or am I looking at a paperweight at this point?
    It's a paperweight. The damage has been done, and alcohol won't repair the damage. (It was probably too late by the time you wiped the screen off.) Read Oh, no! My Phone got Wet! The second paragraph is serious - a few seconds make the difference between "oops" and $500.

PS Grim the min pin did get adopted.
    In this case, one out of 2 isn't bad. Have fun with him.
    02-12-2016 05:44 PM