OLED vs. LCD

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Does any good phone use LCD screens anymore? I started my Android experience with a Samsung Galaxy S4, then when I moved to LG phones one thing I loved about them was they didn't use the OLED screen - I was always able to see the screen on my G4 or G6 in any lighting, and they were easy on the eyes. My current phone is an LG V35 and it has an OLED screen, and since I can get a new phone in the spring I'm looking at the current crop of LGs and they all appear to have OLED screens. I'm not super happy about this because I miss that screen experience.
Am I stuck with an OLED screen now if I want a good phone?

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
For the most part, yes, you are stuck with OLED on the majority of devices. The mainstream exceptions are the iPhone 11. The HTC U12 is still competitive despite being from 2018, and although we own the iPhone 11 and Note 10+, I keep the U12 as my daily driver because it's that good. I can't say there's a significant difference in screen quality between the U12+ and the Note 10+, at least nothing that jumps out. The Note can go brighter, but both screens get brighter than I can stand, and I can see both fine with direct sunlight shining on the screen, so the extra brightness is a moot point.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The V20 was the flagship LG phone to get LCD. I just ordered the Razer Phone 2, which has an LCD too. It was released a year ago, but everyone says it still seems to perform excellent.

Otherwise, that's about it for flagships from what I've seen. Some lower tier phones may still have it, but you're also going to lose a lot of performance and features.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy