Important features absent in Dolphin: 1) cut text function and. 2) request desktop

kellrobinson

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, new Dolphin Browser user here. Got a couple of questions.

1. When I'm typing in Dolphin and highlight a block of text, there's no CUT option. Is this really missing or is there something I'm just not seeing?

2. I can't find a "request desktop version" button or settings menu option anywhere. I can't web surf without that. Is that really missing in Dolphin? Woe. I had to use Chrome to post this because I couldn't make the mobile website of this forum work.

Thanks,
Mike Robinson

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
1. When I highlight text, there is a piece of paper with scissors in the upper right. That is the cut option.

2. Couldn't find this option either. Why do you need the desktop version of sites on mobile though?

Oh, and we have a mobile app for the forums from where you can post pictures :)

kellrobinson

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for responding.
--1--
There's no scissors icon; I wonder what gives. I'm using a Nexus 7 running Android 4.4.3.
--2--
Your post implies I shouldn't need websites' desktop version. But lots of web sites have mobile versions that don't work very well, and even mobile sites that work well never offer the full suite of functions the desktop site does.

Mobile banking sites are a good example; I often can't move money or do what I need to do. I really HAVE to use the desktop site.
And I have to do it on my tablet. I don't like to carry a heavy laptop when I'm traveling, as I am now.

Chrome and Firefox both offer the desktop option but I can't find it in Dolphin. Does Dolphin Mini have it?

Once again, thanks for your help.
Mike Robinson

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for responding.
--1--
There's no scissors icon; I wonder what gives. I'm using a Nexus 7 running Android 4.4.3.
--2--
Your post implies I shouldn't need websites' desktop version. But lots of web sites have mobile versions that don't work very well, and even mobile sites that work well never offer the full suite of functions the desktop site does.

Mobile banking sites are a good example; I often can't move money or do what I need to do. I really HAVE to use the desktop site.
And I have to do it on my tablet. I don't like to carry a heavy laptop when I'm traveling, as I am now.

Chrome and Firefox both offer the desktop option but I can't find it in Dolphin. Does Dolphin Mini have it?

Once again, thanks for your help.
Mike Robinson
1. Can you highlight the text and take a screenshot, then post it here so we can see what options it does give you?

2. Yeah, was just curious what it was that you were doing that required the desktop sites. Have you tried any mobile apps that might be available for those sites?
If Dolphin doesn't have that option, it's probably best to just go back to using Chrome.

kellrobinson

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Android is quite sucky at screenshots. Supposedly push vol and power buttons, but it doesn't work.
The choices are,
Select all
Copy
Web search

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Android is quite sucky at screenshots. Supposedly push vol and power buttons, but it doesn't work.
The choices are,
Select all
Copy
Web search

What phone are you using?
Usually it's holding power and home, not just pressing it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4

kellrobinson

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, I uninstalled Dolphin.
I'm running mini-Dolphin under cyanogenmod 10.2 now, and it has the scissors. Mini-Dolphin doesn't have desktop option, nor does Opera or Firefox. Only Chrome.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc