Droid Successfully Unlocked But Still Verizon

sjrobinson

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I was able to get an unlock code for my Droid 2 Global and then inserted an At&t gophone sim card. I tried making a call and I got a verizon robot. It is switched to GSM. I tried a boost mobile sim card too. Nothing. What more do I need to do?

-----

I did some research. I have the app that will add new APN settings to the phone. But I still have the issue where verizon is still dominating this phone. After looking up some info it appears that I should use the SBF "DROID2WE_X6_2.4.29_FULL.sbf"- it says that it is the only version "...suitable for THB's USA GSM unlock." If I understand correctly, thats what I need to use a GSM sim card right?

So if I boot the phone with that sbf should the phone automatically use whatever network the sim card is? or do I still have to set the APN settings?

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
using DROID2WE_X6_2.4.29_FULL.sbf will temp brick your phone if it is on 4.5.629 system version
follow my instructions
Band unlock Droid 2 Global with 608 or 629

So if I boot the phone with that sbf should the phone automatically use whatever network the sim card is? or do I still have to set the APN settings?
depends on the network, at&t should work, just by inserting the sim card

edit: the moto droids are made for verizon with their specs, which means the sim unlock only works on non-usa gsm networks
the TBH Band unlock, removes the radios, band restriction, allowing the device to be used on usa gsm networks like at&t, and t-moblie

sjrobinson

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Im glad I looked into this first rather than used that sbf. Thanks. Lemme try this out.

Since the phone is already flashed and rooted can I skip to 6? Or do I have to do it all over again?

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
phone needs 2.4.330 or 2.4.29 radio files, only way to do that is to flash the sbf
the ezSBF method does not flash over the radio files
so yes start over, if you have data you want to keep, make a nandroid backup before flashing

sjrobinson

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Im assuming it was your video I followed to root my phone in the first place. I thank you for the info too, it was very clear and easy to follow.
Now I just need to make sense of these instructions. They seem a bit overwhelming as I am still learning terms.

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
if you watched Root D2, R2D2, or D2G with 2.3.4 yes it was likely mine
if you find a different one, that's better then mine let me know and I will link to it

yes the process is complicated, just make sure you have everything before you start
charge your battery, if you have a spare, charge that too just too be safe

manually install moto drivers, that is where, flashing with rsd lite sometimes gets people
windows should automatically, find and install, but windows sometimes fails at that step
use the latest in my list
sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links: FAQs, Guides, Rooting, SBFs, ROMs... - Google Docs

sjrobinson

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The youtube account is the same one as the icon you have.

But yeah Im really having trouble with this.
What I understand is

1. Backup phone files through bootstrap after rooting
2. --
3. then flash 2.4.330 sbf with rsd lite which I installed on my computer but after following the link to
https://sites.google.com/site/motosbf/droid-2-global-sbf-files
Im not sure which one to download. I'm assuming its the second one.
4. Follow the process of booting with the .iso and follow the instructions as I did before.
b. install bootstrap- the instructions have me rooting again. do I skip to 2?
5. also optional for backing files?
6. Install THB band unlock.zip to computer? Or sd card?

The rest of the instructions are step by step and I understand. I'm just having trouble understanding what is being referred to

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
3 use VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf.zip though I don't think it matters if you use DROID2WE_X6_2.4.29_FULL.sbf.zip
4 yes, after flashing sbf device will no longer be rooted
5 you can skip this step if you want
6 move band unlock to sd card, flash like a rom, in cwm

I see what is confusing to install band unlock use the following

Open Droid 2 Bootstrap app, tap bootstrap recovery, tap ok, then reboot recovery.
select wipe cache partition confirm Yes- Wipe Cache
Select Back arrow or press power button
Install zip from sd card
Go to folder where zip is. If you downloaded zip from stock browser and didn't move it, it will be in the DOWNLOAD folder.
Click on the zip you want to install, then yes.
When install is done, select back arrow or press power, and select reboot.

will update instructions, and try to make it clearer

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I'll try this again

Install TBH Band unlock.zip thanks to The Black Hat Team
using following instructions
download or move TBH Band unlock.zip to sd card
Open Droid 2 Bootstrap app, tap bootstrap recovery, tap ok, then reboot recovery.
select wipe cache partition confirm Yes- Wipe Cache
Select Back arrow or press power
select ?Install zip from sd card? (not apply sdcard: update.zip)use camera to select
select ?choose zip from sd card (not apply sdcard: update.zip)use camera to select
Go to folder where zip is. If you downloaded zip from stock browser and didn't move it, it will be in the DOWNLOAD folder.
Click on the zip you want to install, then yes.
When install is done, select back arrow or press power, and select reboot.

note; if you press power button at main menu, screen will go black, phone is still in cwm, just press power or camera to return to main menu
in sub-menus pressing the power button returns to previous menu screen

sjrobinson

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
So I went through everything and it appeared as it went smoothly. Theres a blue triangle now in the top of my phone- thats different- and the "verizon wireless" written when i pull that part down isnt there. However, even with the go phone sim in there I still get a Verizon robot, and my apn settings are locked to verizon.

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
So I went through everything and it appeared as it went smoothly. Theres a blue triangle now in the top of my phone- thats different-
that' no network availible
and the "verizon wireless" written when i pull that part down isnt there. However, even with the go phone sim in there I still get a Verizon robot, and my apn settings are locked to verizon.
menu>system settings>wireless & networks>mobile networks>Network Mode>select gsm only or gms/umts

sjrobinson

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok. So I did that and theres no service. This is an old sim card but shouldnt it give me the option to activate it? This is just the only way of me telling that this process worked and my phone is fully unlocked. Or are you sure that it would work now?

sjrobinson

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I think the gophone sim is not working. it said it did not exist on at&ts site. the boost mobile might be the same as it is very old. I will try it will an activated sim card eventually. That may work. I tried the "offline sim apn data" app and have an idea of how to use it. ill try that suggestion too. thanks.

Droid47

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I've been having the same issue. I went back and started going through the steps again following the above method and I can't seem to flash VRZ_A956_2.4.33_1FF_01.sbf. The flash goes through properly but when it goes to reboot it won't let me do anything but go into bootloader. I'm getting the following error codes:

Err:A5,70,70,00,1F

Any help would be appreciated. I've been trying to get my D2G to work on ATT for awhile now.

Droid47

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Got it thanks. I followed the directions with no errors. The Verizon APN's are now gone and there are 2 for AT&T, but I've got no bars. I changed to GSM mode and still nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
sorry, failed to put a very important step in, or forgot that was not optional
because you have already flashed 2.4.330 sbf, you don't need to do that again

if you made a 629 nandroid backup in cwm, before flashing band unlock, you can just restore that and be done

if you did not make a nandroid backup before flashing, you need to reflash 629 ezSBF, reroot, make a nandroid, flash band unlock.zip,and restore nandroid backup

rewritten my instructions again

Last edited:

Droid47

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Followed the directions again. Same issue. The APN's show AT&T, but it won't find the network, no bars. I've looked in the settings menu and the CDMA settings are grayed out on System select "change the CDMA roaming mode". Not sure if that has something to do with it or not. These are the exact steps I took.

1. Flash 2.33 (I used linus and not RSDlite)
2. reflash 629 ezSBF
3. reroot
4. make a nandroid
5. flash band unlock.zip from cmv recovery screen using install zip
6. restore nandroid
7. wipe cache
8. reboot
9. power down and install sim and power back up

Thanks again for all your help with this. Please let me know if you see I did something incorrectly or if I need to do something else.

Last edited: