So who is running a custom rom

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
So who is running a custom rom or stock? Just curious after coming from the d1 their were alot and I'm trying to see who is into hacking their phone

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I'm all for hacking up my D2, I'm currently [rooted] stock. But i'm probably gonna jump ship on the next update to either Epic or the AOSP ROMs. Which would you reccomend? What are you running?

crome1115#IM

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
running epic..

hey guys.. i just recently rooted my d2 and running epic 2.7.. runs great except for pandora doesnt work.. thinking its a compatablity issue..gmail may not work at first but if it doesnt just run the fix permissions option from either bootstrap or rom manager and it will fix the gmail force close issue if u come across it.. and found that some blue tooth ear pieces may not work with this either as i had to switch out from my newer lg-570 bt to my older lg-520..other than that.. works great.. no verizon bloatware.. back up asst does show up but of course does not work but not needed since u have google back up and u can export to sd card....im running the 928 Droid BGX 2.2 theme.. very nice look to it with cool graphics on lock screen and google search bar.. anways hope this helps. have run .. oh and fyi... there are only about 3 or 4 roms out there for the d2.. no where close to the amount that were available for d1.. but then again d2 was just rooted about month ago so .. expect them just give it time..hehe

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking of jumping from Stock (.odexed) w/ 928DroidGGX2.2 over to epic 2.7. But i wanted to make sure DroidBGX worked perfectly with epic 2.7 first. are there any problems you have come across?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
.might give that a try but right now I'm being spoilt by tranquility it's bug free and runs great with adw might wait a while before I switch just don't see a point

crome1115#IM

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
other than the issues with pandora app that I posted on, everything else seems to work fine..but this morning I was having issues with everything duplicates of all text messages..gonna give either tranquility or the aosp rom a try and see how they work. From what I've been reading, the aosp final release is supposed to be flawless..I'll try it tonight and post what I find..

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to derail the theme of this thread, but are the issues with software and hardware that occur from flashing a ROM really worth it just for the luxury of not seeing Kindle, Skype, etc... appear in your app drawer?

Last edited:

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
By issues do you mean bricking your device hmm it's up to the user. their isn't much of a selection and up until this point I stayed away from flashing roms due to fear of bricking my device. I still won't go back to my d1 days in flashing a rom every other day. Because their are non and b because I don't want to. but to me after going from strength. 220 to the droidx port to 240 now on traquility 245 I'm getting comfortable but still cautious. And I have almost no blur that's why I switched to the closer to stock Google
edit
I don't have any issues either
and a little birdie has told me we may see oc soonish

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Honestly if I were having issues I would run stock firmware I see no reason to run anything that's buggier than stock

crome1115#IM

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
ok.. so i switchd back to stock rom with odexed vers. of 928 black glass as i have no issue with any apps.. i really love the epic 2.7 rom with the deodexed theme but cannot use my bt or pandora app which is a big deal to me since i use it everyday at work and getting duplicates of all text messags and dont know how to fix this.. once this gets worked out going back to 2.7 epic and themes..

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Hey cory.how is that odexed version of the 928 theme working for you on stock rom?

My biggest issues have come from just running a rooted phone. You know the weird phantom glitches that happen. I haven't had any trouble with the odexed theme on stock except that my notification window is slightly wrong. MLB 2010 and a few other apps have invisible text because its black on black. other than that i have had now problems. I wanted to stay with an odexed ROM for the speed of load up benefits. I was thinking about making the jump to epic with AOSP. Have you had any sort of excess lag issues since your flash? or anything else i should be aware of?

Execute

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to derail the theme of this thread, but are the issues with software and hardware that occur from flashing a ROM really worth it just for the luxury of not seeing Kindle, Skype, etc... appear in your app drawer?

There are WAAAAAYYYY more benefits than just not seeing a few apps in your drawer, if you want/need them. It all depends on person as for the risks/rewards. It is not for everyone, and maybe it is not for you, which is fine. I personally own the Droid X, Droid 2, and HTC Incredible, and I absolutely cannot stand the stock software. While the Incredible runs great and is screaming fast even as stock, there are still many benefits to rooting and romming. As for the D2 and DX, I cannot stand the stock software.

All my phones are rooted with custom ROMs, I do something relating to that every day, whether it be flashing a new ROM, installing a patch or apk, etc, and I have never once had a problem. Never had to SBF. Never seen a bootloop. Never had to seek assistance cause my phone wouldn't work. Sure, I've run into a feature or ROM I didn't like, so I just more along. Are their bugs in custom ROMs? Hell yea there are, but if you get a good one, it is absolutely no worse than the stock software. It's not like stock is perfect. There are plenty of bugs there too.

I'm just saying, the percent of people who root and rom their phones may surprise you. And of course you see complaining and bug reports, and bricking stories. Thats because all the people that are running perfectly good ROMs and are completely happy don't need to post to tell everyone :). My Droid X runs so much better with rubiX by DroD compared to stock with Blur. So much faster, and every single thing I can think of works. So yea, it is 100% worth it to me to use my $600+ phone to it's full potential!

Also, there are risks, and sh&% does happen, but the Android community has some awesome, smart devs and community members that put in the hard work figuring this stuff out. Give them a little time, then FOLLOW DIRECTIONS, and things will generally be fine. Not following directions is a huge reason why people mess up. And also, while things can go wrong, it is pretty rare that someone ends up with a complete bricked, unusable phone. Sure you see threads titled "OMG PLZ HELP--BRICKED MY DROID X HELP!!!! but many times people see something they are unsure of, panic(understandably), but come to the forums and/or IRC and the community has them back to normal in no time.

All this root, rom, hacking stuff can look pretty intimidating from the outside, and they only real way to understand it is to RESEARCH, the RESEARCH again, then jump right in. Of course you must have the "personality" for it. If you don't like computers, tinkering, experimenting, etc, then yea all this stuff probably is stupid, risky, and will frustrate the hell out of you, and you will not see the benefits. But if you are the type that like computers(not "good" at them, or a programmer, but enjoy them), are curious, and like to experiment, this is the life for you.

So, if you fit that bill, and once you take the dive and see all you can do and how much better your phone can run, let alone how you can actually use these powerful devices to their full potential, you will be sucked in and see what all the fuss is about :) But again, once you do your research, and practice a bit, it really is as simple as running a few apps, hitting a few buttons, and poof, you are rooted, or you are running a new ROM. Just tonight I unrooted my sister's D2, wiped it, Rooted mine that I traded her for, installed a ROM on mine, went back to stock, unrooted, re-rooted, tried out 2 more ROMs,(DOn't ask lol.), then reverted back to a different ROM that I was originally running on my DX. LOL, I'm trying to find what I like best. But yea, I did all that over the course of a few hours while playing games with my nephew.

IDK, I think it is really a great option to have with Android. But like I mentioned before, it is not for everyone. Not at all, and that is OK. These phones are pretty amazing on their own! Lastly, I realize some of this may seem a bit "snarky" at times, and come across rude, abrupt, and direct. I wasn't going for that one bit. Just really trying to explain why so many people are into this stuff so much. It really, really, opens up the possibilities. OK I think I have taken up enough time.

But one more thing worth mentioning IMO, these new Motorola devices are NOT the epitome of a good hacking experience. Moto was UNnecessarily restrictive with them, and the community had to come up with new, ingenious ways to "free" them, and some of us users are forced to make a few sacrifices. To get a better fell of all the potential of hacking, look at the D1 or a HTC device! Anyway, when you are ready to root and ROM, feel free to seek assistance :p #RootTheWorld

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm no rookie, the Droid 2 is my 5th Android device. So there is nothing intimidating about hacking my phone.

Although your post was very well written, there wasn't really anything in it to refute my claim. A lot of people are just hacking their D2 because they can. Its not like the ROM is getting you an early version of Gngerbread. Its not making your benchmarks anymore impressive. You're getting storage space back that you were never gonna use anyway since Moto gave us about 6.5 gigs or so to work with.

Themes are cool. Overclocking, although I personally find it pointless because I feel the phone is fast enough as is can be useful as well, but neither of those features are dependent upon a ROM, all you need is root. I'm just not seeing the point. What am I missing?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
what about this? Simply enough, My D2 stock ran like crap, it was slow and laggy, I rooted and put Fission on my D2 and now It runs super smooth, is an interface i want more, and i underclocked it as well as undervolted it, so i get better battery life, better performance, and it just looks much better. And this was all necessary because my D2 out of the box was absolutely terrible.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Again, it would have been far more beneficial from a scientific standpoint to employ some benchmark test, as Android offers several. I'm pretty certain the results would have been the similar. I have the same phone you have, and it runs just fine with no ROM. It is, however, deodexed for the purpose of theming, but its not like my phone was running "like crap" before. I have, recently started noticing some slight performance hiccups after playing with the overclocking tool, but I digress

The purpose of my post in this thread, is to offer another point of view to users looking to potentially hack their phone. Far, FAR too many people are justifying doing this by following subjective advice such yours "my stock D2 ran like crap, it was slow and laggy" no offense, but that doesn't exactly offer alot of information, and your experience could be a direct response to the way you use your device.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
you cant tell me the Blue contacts app isnt crap. if you have the number of contacts that i do, its near useless because the way the blurcontacts.apk loads up is by first loading all names and info then it will start to move smoothly. but i want to scroll immediately with no lag. I have over 700 contacts in my phone, but if you have far fewer contacts you may not encounter this problem.

My benchmarks are based upon:
fission v1.2, underclocked to 800MHz with voltages set to ultra low, using an extended battery
Quadrant: [test 1] = 1127 [Test 2] = 1157
Linpack: [Test 1] = 11.44 [Test 2] = 11.462
Battery life has increased from about 16 hours of use to 40 hours. (battery manager = performance mode)
(battery life is increased because of voltage, CPU clock speed, and a less demanding ROM)

All in all, my benchmarks are matching up pretty similar to the stock benchmarks, but along with that i am gaining a more user friendly interface, smoother ROM, and much better battery life. and i get to use google services like car home instead of BlurCardock.apk which just looks bad. not to mention, goodbye blur, city id, and skype,...
Battery life alone is worth the switch!

Last edited: