[How-To] Root the Droid 2 for newbies

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I have tried running the z4root a couple times on my new D2G and all it does is have the progress circle in the middle and at the bottom, it says "Running exploit in order to obtain root access". I have let it go for a few minutes each time. I back out of it and then go and force stop it. What am I doing wrong???

Android...

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I have tried running the z4root a couple times on my new D2G and all it does is have the progress circle in the middle and at the bottom, it says "Running exploit in order to obtain root access". I have let it go for a few minutes each time. I back out of it and then go and force stop it. What am I doing wrong???

Reboot your phone, then run z4root. It should work fine after a quick reboot.

Daisy2011

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
i keep reading about 'rooting' and i'm still not sure why i would want to besides getting gingerbread right now. also i'm worried it would end my warranty and i have already replaced my droid 2 global 2 times! if i root it, can i unroot it? what if i brick it? i'm sure it would terminate my warranty? any help/suggestions are appreciated :)

yyhd

May 23, 2011
Visit site
this thread/sticky has been idle for 4 months.

does this method still work? still doing more searches on rooting droid 2, but lots of this stuff hasn't been updated in months.

currently have a SGS2 which has a very active community.

Krippled Hick

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Much appreciated brother. Now I question where I ever got the impression that it was "risky"; "nerdy"; and possibly immoral to uproot your kit and caboodle.

Glad I came back here to thank you... just noticed what you mentioned about busybox... so now move on the really advanced manuevers .. cutting...... pasting.... in the shell.

I think I'll go get me an overclocker right now.. I was wanting a new phone anyway.

thanks for keeping it painless

Shanem0789

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
This isn't working on my phone. I've tried it about 6 times and it never goes through.
It will get to "Aquiring Root Shell..." at the bottom and then close itself.:mad:
Any suggestions?

ItnStln

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Visit site

I'm having the same issue.

uublog

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
This isn't working on my phone. I've tried it about 6 times and it never goes through.
It will get to "Aquiring Root Shell..." at the bottom and then close itself.:mad:
Any suggestions?

Doubt anyone will check this anytime soon, but I'll give it a shot. I think the same type of thing happened to me. I installed the z4root app directly from my phone because I didn't have Internet access, thus why I'm trying to root in the first place. I let it run for a couple minutes then looked again and it was back to my home screen. I didn't catch how many steps it got through, so I tried to open the app again but to no avail. Does this mean that it worked? Also, does it matter which tether app I install from the app store or should I just pick a random one?

martymac

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
hi, i am new to this. been trying to figure out how to root my droid2, just read a forum which said that the update that was done is april 2012 makes it impossible to root the phone (as of may 2012). will this work on the 4.5.621.A955 system version?

NewbieUser

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I hate to appear naive but I am at a point where I need some advice. Originally I just wanted to remove an app that I had installed but found out that I had to "root" my phone to do this. Well, being the adventurous type I decided to do it. So after following your great instructions I now have my phone "temporarily rooted". Ok, now what? What and how can I do whatever it is you do once your phone is "rooted". I really would like to understand this stuff. It just really makes me angry that you all know so much more than me and I don't have enough life left to ever learn it all. Thanks for any and all help or advice you might be able to offer.

Ray

Jessica Jones4

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
What do sbf stand for or actually mean in english?
My phone is having the same issue. When i run the root4 it asked to temporarily or permanent. So i choose permanent and it just acts like its loading and says this at the bottom "Running exploit in order to obtain root access". It runs for about 20 minutes, then my phone turns off. I have to take the battery out of the back and put it back in, in order for my phone to come back on. Any suggestions please??? I have tried this about 10 times already same thing happens every time.

sd_shadow

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
.sbf if the file extension for motorola firmware files, if sbf means something is unknown for sure.
An SBF, or system boot file, is an image which restores the phone to its default, ?straight from the factory? state (software-wise).
sbf means set back to factory
Sbf stands for system binary file.
SBF is a file type and stands for Single Binary File

doesn't really matter
D2's on 2.3.4 can only be rooted with magic md5 root method

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia