HELP! Where did I go wrong?

Swig

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So I just got a brand new D2G and thanks to the info in this forum I rooted it and installed fission rom and FRM...Im loving the phone, its fast, smooth and beautiful but the battery is AWFUL. I have read all the info about how to get the most out of your battery and everything on these forums but mine is waaaay worse than anyone has said before.

For instance, last night my phone was charging oernight, at 6 am when i woke up to pee it was at 100% so I unplugged it and went back to sleep, come 10 am when i woke up my phone was down to 15%!!! From just sitting there with the screen off...

Ive set the network to CDMA/Evduo automatic, installed Jrummy's overclock app...Can anyone explain in detail what exactly the settings in the overclock app mean? "set scaling frequencies at boot, cpu scaling frequencies etc?" for instance if I set scaling frequencies not at boot to ultra low voltage and 1 ghz and lower, do i need to also go into cpu scaling frequencies and make profiles and stuff?

Any information is greatly appreciated, Ive been reading up for days but this stuff is hard to find clear answers on specific issues. Thanks!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Be careful going into ultra low settings, you can send your phone into a reboot cycle. I would stay with just Low. Don't set anything to startup on boot until you are sure the phone is running stable for about a week. Scaling frequencies is what adjusts your over and underclock settings.
These are what my settings look like. Do what works for your phone though, not mine.
Overclocked at 1.2 being the high 400 being the low set on Low Frequency.
Profiles:
Screen on... 1.2 high... 400 low
Screen off.... 400 and 400
Charging..... 850 and 400
Battery.... 30% and lower... 850 and 400
All governors set to On Demand.
I would go on YouTube or read through the forums on over/underclocking before you mess up your phone. Definitely get out of the ultralow frequency though. Keep it at just low.

Swig

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Cool, thanks for helping, I got out of ultra low and set them to low. then when i select the scaling frequencies after that that is just what the possible frequencies are? So still go and check use profiles and set up some profiles in the cpu scaling frequencies page?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
I am able to use ulta low voltages on my droid X and Droid 2 without any issues. maybe a very rare crash and reboot. but thats ok with me if i get an extra hour or two out of my battery. don't tell people that ulta low is a bad thing and that they should avoid it. Its just the most extreme, so its gonna be the most finicky. If your device and ROM can handle ultra low then take advantage of it.

Swig

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Well I was going to ask another question, my phone seems to randomly restart itself whenever it feels like it, its happened about 3 times now...was this from ultra low settings? And when I do restart I go into clockwork recover mode most of the time, and i have to press the camera button to restart and then it starts up, is there a way to disable this?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I am able to use ulta low voltages on my droid X and Droid 2 without any issues. maybe a very rare crash and reboot. but thats ok with me if i get an extra hour or two out of my battery. don't tell people that ulta low is a bad thing and that they should avoid it. Its just the most extreme, so its gonna be the most finicky. If your device and ROM can handle ultra low then take advantage of it.

I never said it was a bad thing. It's just not as stable and you can end up crashing or going into reboot cycles (if that happens by the way just pull the battery). I also said don't use my settings, use what works for you on your phone. Every phone will handle it different whether it's the same device or not.
Anyways, yes you will have to reboot from clockwork and if the constant rebooting bothers you try something more stable until you find a setting that is right for you.
Choose your scaling frequency and then set up your profiles. If you don't have the frequency settings saved on boot you will need to go back and select them again. By default the app will set you back to stock frequencies.

Swig

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So I was just reading and I guess a lot of people have similar "random reboot" problems and blame it on the SD card/phone itself...Do you think that mine are just an artifact of the overclocking?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
random reboots can often be a product voltages set improperly, or clockspeeds not taking well. but they may also be bad apps, hardware problems, user settings.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
That overclock app is pretty cool, but I have to say that I think it may have a problem. I had random reboots on my D2 pretty much regardless of settings. Every couple of days I'd be doing something and it would freak and start to show the boot logo for a few seconds and be kinda half-baked until I forced a reboot. Perhaps a bad interaction with the apex 1.3 rom I was running.

I have switched back to cpu tuner.

Anyways, I always like to set the governor threshold low to like 15 or so. That makes the UI much more responsive by ramping up the cpu quicker. More effective than simply running a higher peak freq.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
the stock kernel we are stuck on is capable of be overclocked and undervolted and such, but its stick not super happy about it. So if you wanna make those tweaks, you just have to settle for the occasional reboot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow