How to make a Nandroid backup on the Droid 2

Crossfire503

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to find a basic step by step on doing a nandroid backup on a droid 2. I have spent quite a bit of time searching on here and about 5 other major android sites, plus doing a variety of searches and there is nothing stated simply and clearly about how this process works. It seems like a necessity to dl Koush's Bootstrap and I see mixed info on whether or not that allows full use of ROM Manager or if it just reboots into a recovery state regardless. I'm hoping someone would be great to actually make a detailed step by step on this, both for myself and for anyone else trying to backup their phone. Backups are one of three primary reasons I rooted my phone, the other two being screen shot and battery life tweaks, so any help on exactly how this works with droid 2 would be wonderful.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
ASSUMING anyone trying to make a backup is already rooted
if not check out this post by Jerry:
how to root droid 2 noobies

What is required
Droid 2/ Global [rooted]
Micro sd card

Apps needed / recomended
Droid 2 recovery bootstrap by ClockworkMod
Rom Manager by clockwork Mod (provides added functionality but isn't required)

Anyone that follows these procedures, does so at their own risk. and i can not be held accountable to any damages incured to your device
Steps (this process branches because there are multiple ways to do this)
1) Open Droid 2 bootstrap
2) select "bootstrap recovery" and wait until it says "success"
* if you don't have root access you will not be able to bootstrap your recovery
3) repeat step 2 a few times to ensure it took appropriately
4) open Rom Manager
5) check to ensure it says your current recovery matches the latest recovery.
* if the current and latest dont match, then select "flash clockwork recovery" and choose your devise when prompted.
using Rom Manager to create a backup [easiest]
6-a) scroll down and select "backup current ROM"
7-a) name your backup and select "ok"
*your device will restart once and create the backup, then restart again to a normal startup
using droid 2 recovery bootstrap to create backup
6-b) open droid 2 recovery bootstrap
7-b) select "reboot recovery"
* your device will restart in the recovery
8-b) use the hardware volume buttons to scroll up/down to backup and restore
9-b) select "backup and restore" with the hardware camera button
10-b) select "backup" with the camera button
*device will then create a backup with a file name according to the date and time
11-b) your device will now settle in the recovery main menue, select "reboot system now" with the camera button
Wallah, you know have a backup up image of your device just in case you ever have to go back.

Last edited:

Crossfire503

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome. Just got through backing up my device. Everything I could find would get close to providing that sort of info, then would trail off into nothing. I had a feeling that this was case, but now I know for sure that bootstrap is required and ROM Manager is just a nice add on in regard to backups. This also clarifies a number of things I've read regarding flashing ROMs and the like in regard to utilizing the bootstrap and/or ROM Manager.

bmb0y

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Question about what the screen looks like when backing up

So, i followed the steps and went the route of backing up using Rom Manager, because that's how I used to do it as well on my Inc. The phone rebooted, and now displays the green android dude underneath a triangle with a yellow exclamation point. Is this what the screen is supposed to look like when it's backing up? Doesn't seem right to me. I would think there is a status bar.

bmb0y

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Wow...i feel like such a newb...on my Inc. i would use the power button to select options in clockworkmod, i just discovered that on the Droid2G, it's the camera button...haha.

Urahara#AC

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but i thought you made a backup of your phone before rooting it in case something went wrong and you had to revert back to stock am I mistaken?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
the backup that you make is great if you're able to use it. but is you want to revert back to a Froyo backup when you are on gingerbread you'll end up with some nasty results. You have to SBF then re-root, then re-root and flash a new recovery. then restore your backup.

RedBarchetta

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something but i thought you made a backup of your phone before rooting it in case something went wrong and you had to revert back to stock am I mistaken?
Rooting itself is pretty safe. You need to root first in order to get the ability to install ROM Manager and Bootstrap, root gives you permission to do the backups from the get-go. Once rooted, do a backup that way then if something goes wrong, you can revert back to stock.

Just did my first backup and it worked like a charm:) Ready to ROM!!

Last edited: