Found a tutorial on loading custom roms on youtube

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I found a tutorial on youtube explaining how to load custom roms on to the droid 2. I have a rooted D2 and I want to enter the custom rom game but before I do I want to make sure the directions I'm following are accurate. Can anyone confirm that this is the proper way to load custom roms?

YouTube - How To Load a Custom ROM on the Motorola Droid 2 (www.TheUnlockr.com)

This is a better link for the video:
http://theunlockr.com/2010/09/21/how-to-load-a-custom-rom-on-the-motorola-droid-2/

Both links are the same video; it's just that the second one has step by step instructions typed out also right under the video.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekid4770

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I loaded GummyJar last night. Love it!

Btw, I like the original boot animation rather than the GummyJar's. Is there a way to swap them?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
assuming you already have the original bootanimation.zip to replace your current one with. Then all you have to do is use root explorer to edit the folder that holds your boot animations. its under system>media i think. so all you have to do is rename your current to bootanimation.zip.bak and paste your desired animation in its spot labeled bootanimation.zip i believe.

Reactions: darrylmendo

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
assuming you already have the original bootanimation.zip to replace your current one with. Then all you have to do is use root explorer to edit the folder that holds your boot animations. its under system>media i think. so all you have to do is rename your current to bootanimation.zip.bak and paste your desired animation in its spot labeled bootanimation.zip i believe.

Thanks for the tip; worked like a charm!

dkear

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
So I think I am gonna hit up a ROM for the first time. What would be a good one to try out for a first? I have heard fission, apex, and now gummyjar suggested. I would just like something that is smooth and beautiful to look at. Let me know what you guys think (and maybe a tip where I can download the zip). Thanks!

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
i'm personnally running fission 2.6.1 with the honeycomb beta III theme and i like it a lot, but i have liberty 1.5 with the honeycomb theme and it seems a little better on my Droid X which is also available on the Droid 2. If you go with liberty let me know how it works. Liberty is where all the spotlight is at currently, so it will likely get the most themes and features.

dkear

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
i'm personnally running fission 2.6.1 with the honeycomb beta III theme and i like it a lot, but i have liberty 1.5 with the honeycomb theme and it seems a little better on my Droid X which is also available on the Droid 2. If you go with liberty let me know how it works. Liberty is where all the spotlight is at currently, so it will likely get the most themes and features.

I did end up going with liberty 1.5 with the Watermark'd theme. I'm really loving liberty. I did flash ApeX first and ran it for half a day before I decided to try out liberty and I have to say both are very nice. Liberty just has way more customization options within the Rom. Liberty toolbox is sweet! Being completely blurless takes some getting use to. But this thing is speedy.

jocko

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I did end up going with liberty 1.5 with the Watermark'd theme. I'm really loving liberty. I did flash ApeX first and ran it for half a day before I decided to try out liberty and I have to say both are very nice. Liberty just has way more customization options within the Rom. Liberty toolbox is sweet! Being completely blurless takes some getting use to. But this thing is speedy.

When running Liberty, and when you said getting used to being blurless, what do you mean? Like in what ways is it different haha.

dkear

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
When running Liberty, and when you said getting used to being blurless, what do you mean? Like in what ways is it different haha.

Getting rid of all the motoblur that is on stock with the liberty rom is so nice and speeds up the phone rather nicely, it just felt a little bare at first...but not in a bad way. All the bloatware, and motoblur eyesores are gone in this rom.

Last edited:

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
its not completely blurless, all of the base files are still blur. But anyway you might notice a lockscreen bug where it freezes and reboots randomly. Scour Droidforums.net for a potential flashable fix. It fixes the reboot, but it may still stall sometimes on the lockscreen. The dev's are working on it.

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
So I think I am gonna hit up a ROM for the first time. What would be a good one to try out for a first? I have heard fission, apex, and now gummyjar suggested. I would just like something that is smooth and beautiful to look at. Let me know what you guys think (and maybe a tip where I can download the zip). Thanks!

Here is a link to the video and step by step instructions underneath straight from the unlockr's website:
How To: Load a Custom ROM on the Motorola Droid 2 | TheUnlockr

And here is a link for the zip files for all the custom roms for the droid 2:
Motorola Droid 2 ROMs | TheUnlockr

Personally, I went with GummyJar just because I found a lot of reviews raving about it. I can't speak for the rest but I can see fission, liberty, and apex are good too just based on other comments on forums including this one.

Anyone know of a site that goes into detail about each rom?

dkear

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
its not completely blurless, all of the base files are still blur. But anyway you might notice a lockscreen bug where it freezes and reboots randomly. Scour Droidforums.net for a potential flashable fix. It fixes the reboot, but it may still stall sometimes on the lockscreen. The dev's are working on it.

I haven't noticed this problem yet...here's to keeping my fingers crossed :)

dkear

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Here is a link to the video and step by step instructions underneath straight from the unlockr's website:
How To: Load a Custom ROM on the Motorola Droid 2 | TheUnlockr

And here is a link for the zip files for all the custom roms for the droid 2:
Motorola Droid 2 ROMs | TheUnlockr

Personally, I went with GummyJar just because I found a lot of reviews raving about it. I can't speak for the rest but I can see fission, liberty, and apex are good too just based on other comments on forums including this one.

Anyone know of a site that goes into detail about each rom?

Droidforums.net has some pretty decent threads about each of these ROMs