Some questions! Please help!

jocko

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
1. If you need to wipe all your data and cache (whatever that is) to properly install a ROM such as Liberty, how would you have Titanium to reinstall all your apps and data?
2. If I used Liberty and then used Titanium to restore everything, would it screw up my phone somehow?
3. I am seeing a lot of cases where installing ROMs really screw with people's phones. How safe are Liberty, Fission, and Apex anyway?
4. What does nandroid mean?
5. If I made a backup both in bootstrap and ROM Manager, all I would have to do is go to ROM Manager to load up the R2D2 Blur?
6. Would my phone keep all my pictures? (Including the Starwars themed stuff that was preloaded onto my phone?)
7. If I was ever forced to make the phone go back to the factory settings, would I be able to go back to the cool ROM in a pinch?

I know I have more. I just can't think of them right now haha. Thank you!

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
1. If you need to wipe all your data and cache (whatever that is) to properly install a ROM such as Liberty, how would you have Titanium to reinstall all your apps and data?
2. If I used Liberty and then used Titanium to restore everything, would it screw up my phone somehow?
I don't use Titanium, but it would make a backup file on your SD card and would restore the apps when requested. It should work fine with Liberty.

3. I am seeing a lot of cases where installing ROMs really screw with people's phones. How safe are Liberty, Fission, and Apex anyway?
I have flashed all three on my D2 and have had no issues. A lot of the issues that people run into is due to not doing a factory reset before flashing a new ROM. As long as you have a backup saved of your stock ROM, you should be able to recover if something doesn't go right.

4. What does nandroid mean?
Nandroid is just the generic name for the system backup that you make with bootstrap or ROM Manager

5. If I made a backup both in bootstrap and ROM Manager, all I would have to do is go to ROM Manager to load up the R2D2 Blur?
Yes, you can get restore anything you have saved prior to flashing your new ROM. You can restore from ROM Manager or from bootstrap recovery.

6. Would my phone keep all my pictures? (Including the Starwars themed stuff that was preloaded onto my phone?)
I haven't tested this cause I don't have an R2D2, but the preloaded Starwars items would likely be replaced by the ROM. It would depend on how they are written in the system. As long as you have a backup of your stock ROM they will be restored if you go back. Anything on your SD card will not be changed.

7. If I was ever forced to make the phone go back to the factory settings, would I be able to go back to the cool ROM in a pinch?
Going back to a ROM is painless once you get the hang of it. From full stock you would just need to re-root and install the required apps. Then flash the ROM again (or restore a backup). From stock, I can have a DX or D2 rooted and on a custom ROM in about 15 minutes.

Hope that helps.

jocko

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
But I heard that rom manager won't restore back to the stock rom for some reason. What's the deal with that? Also, if your factory resetting, aren't you essentially unrooting yourself? What rom was your favorite? It seems like liberty is the best from what I have read. If you don't use titanium, what do you use?

God I know there are more questions but I cannot remember them for the life of me!

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
But I heard that rom manager won't restore back to the stock rom for some reason. What's the deal with that?
When you restore to a saved nandroid, it will restore your phone exactly how is was system wise when the backup was made. Including apps, messages ect. If ROM manager will not do it for what ever reason, you can always do it through bootstrap recovery.

Also, if your factory resetting, aren't you essentially unrooting yourself?
A factory reset only erases the "user data". It does not change the loaded system. Since root access is a system change it is not affected. The apps would be erased, that is why you make sure you have a backup incase you can't download the required apps (mainly bootstrap). Z4root apk should still be on your SD card is that is easy to reinstall.

What rom was your favorite? It seems like liberty is the best from what I have read.
I am using Liberty 1.5 on my DX and D2. I've used Fission and ApeX as well on the D2 and they are good builds.

If you don't use titanium, what do you use?
I just reinstall from the market. It takes more time, but I don't like having a lot of apps that I don't need. It's just a way to do "spring cleaning" when I load a new ROM. It is a great app though, I just have never needed it.

imjarhed

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Newby question also ...

I am using Fission 2.5.7 on my Rooted Droid 2 with the Gingerbread theme. Would like to go to BB 0.4.7 but don't know how. Have looked and read but Fission uses it's own FRM, not bootstrap. When I try and boot using Pwr and X keys I get the android with the triangle. I'm really confused. How do I move from Fission to another ROM?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
When you go into recovery hit the hardware buttons. that will make the commands pop up. not sure which combo (power, power and volume up, power and volume down, or volume up and down).

As for flashing a new ROM make a Backup first then follow the instructions in the forum for where ever the file is hosted. DroidForums.net, Droid-Life.com, MyDroidWorld.com, ....

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I am using Fission 2.5.7 on my Rooted Droid 2 with the Gingerbread theme. Would like to go to BB 0.4.7 but don't know how. Have looked and read but Fission uses it's own FRM, not bootstrap. When I try and boot using Pwr and X keys I get the android with the triangle. I'm really confused. How do I move from Fission to another ROM?

I was able to use bootstrap with no issues to go from Fission to Liberty.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci