[How To] Installing Gingerbread on D2 with Root!

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Decided to start a new thread so instructions would be on the first page...

Source: Droid 2 Gingerbread (2.3.3) - Release - PreRooted

Well this is what we all were waiting for, Gingerbread, Droid2 and Root

Follow these directions carefully.

To get back to stock:

1. Grab the SBF File
You must start the process with your phone running the official 2.3.20. If you have already upgraded to gingerbread grab this 2.3.20 sbf file .... Download: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

2. Grab RSDlite: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
You must use RSDLite to use the sbf file from step 1 .... RSDLite

3. Grab the Drivers Drivers ....Download now: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7632904/USB_Drivers_bit_4.7.1.zip

4. Run RSDLite and sbf your phone back to 2.3.20

__________________________________________________ ________________

1. Download the following file and place on the root of your sdcard.

File size = 268.6 MB (281634600 bytes)
md5sum = fa4466301e067e813162e6960c1d4da4

Direct Download: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Rooted Droid 2 - Mirror 1: http://www.multiupload.com/RS_81AK52RTM9
Rooted Droid 2 - Mirror 2: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
Rooted Droid 2 - Mirror 3: Deposit Files
Rooted Droid 2 - Mirror 4

2. Put phone into bootstrap recovery

3. Install the file you downloaded above

4. Sit back and watch (Your phone will bootloop for approx 30 secs, if any longer than that, pull battery and restart your phone.

You should now have gingerbread and it should be rooted.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

To Help support the site please consider becoming a supporting member.

To Help support the Team Black Hat efforts consider donating.

Source: Droid 2 Gingerbread (2.3.3) - Release - PreRooted

Last edited:

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Been playing with this rom for a few hours now. As others reported after the install the speakers were both extremely low but after a reboot it works just fine. Love the new keyboard. Moving the cursor and selecting text is so much better now. I love that the haptic feedback isn't there anymore for the four capacitive buttons. I'm sure that will improve battery life. I also love the animation when rotating from portrait to landscape and vice versa. I wish it had the same animation the nexus s & one have when you turn off the screen with the power button. It turns off like a tube tv does. Oh well, not really a big deal. Launcherpro plus works smoothly. I played with the new blur and it is great and much smoother than froyo blur but I still went back to launcher pro. Those who are not into customizing their droid 2/x will absolutely love the new blur when it is officially pushed out. I'll post more findings as I continue to play around with it.

If you plan on installing this rom don't forget to use titanium backup to save the data on your apps especially if you wanna save your high score on fruit ninja and all your levels in angry birds!

Last edited:

wg#AC

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Ok, it worked but all I see is a white screen and my task/notification bar. Any ideas?

Ya I have the same problem you are I have my notification bar and I can see it rotate and when I go to task killer I can launch programs. But when I hit my home screen button all I get is a white screen and my notification bar at the top... any ideas would be great?

CloeHokie

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ya I have the same problem you are I have my notification bar and I can see it rotate and when I go to task killer I can launch programs. But when I hit my home screen button all I get is a white screen and my notification bar at the top... any ideas would be great?

Just start the phone while holding down x and get to the boot screen by pressing both volume buttons. Do a wipe of the cache and data. (Hope you backed up your apps) I did that and it worked fine when I turned back on.

CloeHokie and WG, did this work for you guys? What exactly are you doing when it happens? I will try to mimic the problem.

I followed the steps but I tried doing it without wiping. Good thing I did a full back up with Titanium first.

As for the GB, I love it so far. At first my overclock app was not working but jrummy got an update out fast I think it was even later that day that took care of that.

I love the way the screen flips and also just like the layout more. Way easier to assign personal ringtones again much like on the first Droid.

I have worked at Verizon for 8 years btw if anyone has any VZW questions or phone questions I have seen and fixed a lot of problems.

And thanks a lot for posting the instructions.

CloeHokie

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Something else I noticed is that my built in Moto RSS/News feed App is not working right. Not a big deal but I will try tinkering with it some more. Its only showing old notices.

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Just start the phone while holding down x and get to the boot screen by pressing both volume buttons. Do a wipe of the cache and data. (Hope you backed up your apps) I did that and it worked fine when I turned back on.

I followed the steps but I tried doing it without wiping. Good thing I did a full back up with Titanium first.

As for the GB, I love it so far. At first my overclock app was not working but jrummy got an update out fast I think it was even later that day that took care of that.

I love the way the screen flips and also just like the layout more. Way easier to assign personal ringtones again much like on the first Droid.

I have worked at Verizon for 8 years btw if anyone has any VZW questions or phone questions I have seen and fixed a lot of problems.

And thanks a lot for posting the instructions.

No prob with the instructions. I'm glad I helped! :)

Oh wow, you work at vzdubbs? What would a tech guy say if I had an issue with my phone and he sees that I have this gingerbread rom on it? Also, when the official version rolls out over the air, are people with this rom going to be able to install the ota update or are we going to have to roll back to froyo first?

CloeHokie

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
No prob with the instructions. I'm glad I helped! :)

Oh wow, you work at vzdubbs? What would a tech guy say if I had an issue with my phone and he sees that I have this gingerbread rom on it? Also, when the official version rolls out over the air, are people with this rom going to be able to install the ota update or are we going to have to roll back to froyo first?

I would bet the majority of the Techs would not know but to be safe if you ever had to go in for a warranty issue I would go back to factory and not have it rooted.

I had Froyo on my OG Droid before it was released and had to go back to download over the air. But I just found the zip file for the official version and loaded it that way at the time. Saved it to SD card and restarted with the x button. Get to the boot screen and install zip update. It worked fine at the time. Guess we will find out when it rolls out. But who knows when that will be. One thing I have been told is that when system updates roll out OTA they often check for bloat apps to make sure the phone is not rooted. Not sure if that is true but to be on the safe side i just froze a lot. I will unfreeze before attempting or just go back to my last full android backup then update, and root again. Use Titanium to get roms back and move on.

I still do a lot of repairs and tech work as well. But moved up to Manager a while back. We do not have too many Android issues though, at least not many that are hard to fix. Blackberry..... man they have gone downhill. They at least need some new phones that don't overheat or just stop getting data etc. Lol.

Anyway if you ever have any VZW questions feel free to find me and shoot me a PM.

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
I noticed my led notification light isn't working and I couldn't find how to turn it on in the settings menu. Is anyone else having this issue? or am I missing something?

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
How do I put my phone into bootstrap recovery? Do I need to run the app called Droid 2 Bootstrap (made by Clockwork and downloaded from the Market)? Do I need to rename my Gingerbread download to update.zip?

Thanks.

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes, use d2 bootstrap and select reboot in bootstrap. And no you don't have to rename the file. Just know what it is named so when you get to the step where you're ready to install it you know which file to select.

NLewis40

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
deadlybatman- i followed ur instructions, put the file on my sd card, went into bootstrap to install off of sd card, and it wouldn't install. did battery pull after about 20 minutes, still have froyo. any info would be great. still a big noob at this stuff.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01