[How To] Installing Gingerbread on D2 with Root!

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that the NAND has an extreme lack of space after installing the leak? I had to use Titanium backup to delete the pre-loaded apps I don't use just so I had room for the R2D2 bits my phone came with (and the boot animation still isn't working quite right).

hjbucher09

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently an overall happy d2g user, but I made a pretty bad mistake when I first got my phone. I deleted the need for speed demo and I was told that I won't be able to upgrade my rom until I put it back on my phone. Where would i find the .apk file? I've searched the forums and can only find links for the droidx's bloatware.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm currently an overall happy d2g user, but I made a pretty bad mistake when I first got my phone. I deleted the need for speed demo and I was told that I won't be able to upgrade my rom until I put it back on my phone. Where would i find the .apk file? I've searched the forums and can only find links for the droidx's bloatware.

Being that its so easy to delete, I don't think its a required app for an upgrade. Having said that, if you really want it I can SBF my R2D2 back to stock, restore my backup and then pull said APK off it.

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know how to force the keyboard light to come on all the time? I can't find it in the settings. Sometimes it doesn't recognize how dark it is and I can't see the keys. It gets annoying.

CloeHokie

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know how to force the keyboard light to come on all the time? I can't find it in the settings. Sometimes it doesn't recognize how dark it is and I can't see the keys. It gets annoying.

I have looked at most of the settings and don't see that either. But it works most of the time. You are right though, its annoying when it doesnt and its so dark you can't see the keys.

wireless tether for root users repository that link will bring you to his google code page

Yeah, I have tried the different downloads and none seem to work. The newest one does not even tether. My PC will not find it. And the older ones my PC just wont connect. It sees it but just times out.

CloeHokie

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
It seems to be working well after a days use. Only issue is it seems you have to choose a brightness rather than just having on auto but I may not be tinkering with it just right. Each time I wake my phone up I see it is granted Superuser so it is kicking on and auto lighting up. I will continue to mess with it. Not sure how it will effect battery life etc.

Reactions: darrylmendo

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
It seems to be working well after a days use. Only issue is it seems you have to choose a brightness rather than just having on auto but I may not be tinkering with it just right. Each time I wake my phone up I see it is granted Superuser so it is kicking on and auto lighting up. I will continue to mess with it. Not sure how it will effect battery life etc.

Sounds too complicated for such a trivial issue. Plus, it's not worth effecting battery life. Thanks for conducting the experiment though. The easiest work around is to just put your finger over the light sensor for about two or three seconds. It is located to the right of the ear speaker on the front of your phone (just above the motorola logo). You can just barely see a little circle. That is the light sensor. If you cover it with your finger for a few seconds the backlight and keyboard lights come on. Hope that helps.

Reactions: CloeHokie

CloeHokie

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Sounds too complicated for such a trivial issue. Plus, it's not worth effecting battery life. Thanks for conducting the experiment though. The easiest work around is to just put your finger over the light sensor for about two or three seconds. It is located to the right of the ear speaker on the front of your phone (just above the motorola logo). You can just barely see a little circle. That is the light sensor. If you cover it with your finger for a few seconds the backlight and keyboard lights come on. Hope that helps.

Huh, thats a good idea I had not tried yet. I know where the sensor is so I will give that a try as this app seems to work but has too many minor issues. Was worth a try I guess.

I am still trying to get my wifi tethering back up. Is yours working? I do not use it a lot but love having it when traveling.

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Huh, thats a good idea I had not tried yet. I know where the sensor is so I will give that a try as this app seems to work but has too many minor issues. Was worth a try I guess.

I am still trying to get my wifi tethering back up. Is yours working? I do not use it a lot but love having it when traveling.

No, my wifi tether doesn't work either =( Sucks, I also find it useful when I'm traveling. It would be super-clutch for if and when I eventually get a tablet too. Not having wifi tether lessens my motivation for getting one.

Evangelinaarion

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread installed and running great. However, the phone does not seem to be rooted. Tried to run gingerbreak and ran into an error.

Any ideas? Do I need to wipe and re-install Gingerbread?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey