Rooting the Droid 3

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Some phones are rooted before they are actually released. This isn't the case for the D3. It has been available for 2 weeks and there is not a single post to even mention rooting it. I have checked all over the web as well as developer websites and still nothing. All that I know is Gingerbreak 1.2 does not work on the version of Android which it runs (2.3.4) and there is no known method to root this phone yet.

Has anybody come across anything regarding a root?

Last edited:

sagarp14

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Rooting the D3?

Some phones are rooted before they are actually released. This isn't the case for the D3. It has been available for 2 weeks and there is not a single post to even mention rooting it. I have checked all over the web as well as developer websites and still nothing. All that I know is Gingerbreak 1.2 does not work on the version of Android which it runs (2.3.4) and there is no known method to root this phone yet.

Has anybody come across anything regarding a root?

Nope devs are still working on finding root. I haven't checked today yet but I doubt they've found a new method yet. I know woodyman over at droidforums is working on it. Since all the older methods of rooting no longer work they need to find a new method.

nerdslogic

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Apparently gingersnap has a little success in that it SAYS its successful but apparently doesn't actually give superuser permissions. Might be something to start on though

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Da Black Mamba

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site

Is it just me, or does it seem like there's a lack of interest in rooting the droid 3? I mean, only 1 thread on these forums with only 2 replies; no where else seems to be buzzing with any info regarding it either. Am I just being impatient?

butler360

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site

Is it just me, or does it seem like there's a lack of interest in rooting the droid 3? I mean, only 1 thread on these forums with only 2 replies; no where else seems to be buzzing with any info regarding it either. Am I just being impatient?

Locked bootloader... :-\

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

I thought the same thing when i would look at this section every day since July 7th and it would be blank. So i felt that I should post something. Anything regarding root would suffice because obviously i didn't have the magic elixir to root this animal. I felt that just talking about root would spark conversation and posts and ultimately lead to the D3 being rooted. It's frustrating.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Locked bootloader... :-\

Having a locked bootloader didn't stop the D2, DroidX, or Atrix from getting rooted. The bigger issue is the D3 is running Android 2.3.4. The Atrix, I believe was rooted via the Webtop dock, and the Nexus is always open to begin with. As of right now there aren't too many other phones running 2.3.4 . As we start to see more phones with this version of Android it will be more worthwhile for developers to discover a more universal root for most phones running the latest version of Android.

Not to say that it isn't already worthwhile for developers to root the D3. However, if a root is discovered for 2.3.4 now, future phones running the OS such as the Droid Bionic, HTC Vigor, Carrier based SGS2, and LG Revolution 2 which aren't released yet are in jeopardy of being patched prior to being released to cover up the discovered method and then an entire new method will have to be reworked.

The Droid 3 will be rooted without a doubt. The biggest issue is time. As more phones running 2.3.4 are released the quicker the root method will be available. The D3 just so happened to be the first phone on Verizon running 2.3.4 and one of the first phones with that version of Android. It will be a little while longer until we see it, but without a doubt it is coming soon. I figure by the holidays because the next few months are hot for phone releases.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

So it happened sooner than we thought. I'll be posting a link for the easiest way to root and talk about problems, if any occur. This is great news.

There is also a long way... However, the experts over at rootzwiki found us a One-Click root. This root works not only on the D3, but the DX, DX2 and Moto Cliq and Cliq 2.

Edit: http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?t=3714&p=75934

Last edited:

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Has anybody out there had any success in rooting with the new update? Droid life's manual update brought me to 5.6.890, left me the superuser but won't allow me to write or use root permissions. Is there any known method to root the new OTA?

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
i'm on 890 and rooted with the one click. try re-rooting

Ok, so is there a quick rundown of what a guy needs to do to update their rooted phone to the newest 890 and still keep root? I looked over at XDA, but the droid3 root thread seems to be completely overrun by Droid X users asking how to root their phone.

I'm at XT862 and rooted with the one-click root shortly after it came out. I know I have to unfreeze all apps before updating, but do I have to unroot before trying to update? What is the best method for unrooting?

Do I have to manually uninstall the apps that require root before unrooting?

Any advice is appreciated.

-Suntan

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey Suntan,

On my girlfriend's D3 I followed these instructions on Droid Life:

How to: Manually Update DROID3 to Build 5.6.890 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I followed most of the posts and there were people saying that by updating this way you were able to keep root. That is false. There is the illusion that you did not lose root because you still have your superuser icon and /xbin/su etc... However, you are not able to gain write access or give superuser privileges to apps.

At first, when i ran the update through recovery, I did not remove any bloat nor unroot. The brief reading I did on the version they had on Droidlife (v. 5.5.959) said that it was not necessary. So when extracting the update i would get errors that said assert failed: apply_patch_check ("/system/app/BooksPhone.apk. I understood that it meant there was a problem when it tried to update the Google Books app. I had frozen this app with Root Explorer. After this, i went back and unfroze all the bloatware then ran the update.zip off my SD card in recovery and it worked with no problems. When you boot your phone after applying the update it is common for it to take 3-5 minutes.

Now I am at the stage where the update is working fine but I want to re-acquire root. Creep said he re-rooted his using the one click. I'm going to try to unroot using the pete's tools and then attempt to re-root. If this doesn't work then I will have hit a dead end.

Update: I unrooted via Pete's tools v1.06 then rooted again and it worked like a charm. If you are having problems I have instructions for using the ADB method to add the SU script and Superuser Apk manually.

Last edited:

ireekhavok

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I used those instructions and it worked! At first I was afraid because I'm using a Mac but I went through the terminal and everything worked out just fine. :) Bye bye Bloatware

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol