Droid 3 Rooted!!

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Droid 3 Apparently Rooted

OK, so root is desirable to me for a couple of reasons, but at the same time I want it to be easy and 100% reversable... how long out is that going to be?

-Suntan

anon(58977)

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Droid 3 Apparently Rooted

Easy, reverse the steps to root!
Just remove the SU binary and superuser and you are effectively unrooted in this case.
Or flash back to factory/factory wipe, et voila.

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I hope Moto doesn't pull an HTC and release an "update" that only prevents this achieved root and doesn't offer any fixes.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

SellnCLT85

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I hope Moto doesn't pull an HTC and release an "update" that only prevents this achieved root and doesn't offer any fixes.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Your right. The phone still has a couple of kinks to iron out, mainly the camera issues. In a perfect world we would have received an update to fix the majority of the complaints then rooted. Oh well, we got root, im happy.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
once i root the phone, does it whip my phone or will it start up normally? Also, once its rooted, how do i learn how to remove bloatware and what not.

mtva24#WN

May 13, 2011
Visit site
once i root the phone, does it whip my phone or will it start up normally? Also, once its rooted, how do i learn how to remove bloatware and what not.
1.download root explorer
2. in root explorer follow this path system->apps
3. change the extension from .apk to .bak for all of the apps you don't want (this freezes your apps, DONT DELETE YOUR APPS)

OR

you can just download Titanium Backup Pro and freeze your app w/ o having to rename them

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I have frozen 10 or so Apps on phone and I've been running phone for about 8 hrs and I have had at least 150 mb of free RAM. I would usually only have around 80 mb of free ram prior to root. Hopefully this will keep random reboots to a minimum.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone care to list the things you did to your phone after rooting in order of importance? Other than freezing VZW bloat, and possibly getting that DSIII controller running wirelessly, what are some other advantages to rooting this thing?

-Suntan

patfactorx

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Anyone care to list the things you did to your phone after rooting in order of importance? Other than freezing VZW bloat, and possibly getting that DSIII controller running wirelessly, what are some other advantages to rooting this thing?

-Suntan

you can also free wireless tether but I think VZW is blocking that somehow now =0(.

But in a few weeks I expect to see roms for this phone too since the DX has a locked bootloader but roms still work with root.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
you can also free wireless tether but I think VZW is blocking that somehow now =0(.

But in a few weeks I expect to see roms for this phone too since the DX has a locked bootloader but roms still work with root.

At least according to Phandroid, that is the case.

Personally, I have no issue with that. I don't care about not being able to access services I didn't pay for and I have no problem with being asked to ante up an additional $20 (or whatever) for tether.

I do have a very big issue with being forced to live with bloatware though. So, I'm excited about root.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
I rooted and then started trying to freeze some bloatware apps with Titanium Backup. It seems that one or more of the apps that I froze causes a force close when I go to open the details of a contact in my contacts list. I attempted to narrow it down by unfreezing groups of apps at a time to see which app would fix it, but was unable to get that to work out because, when refreezing the final bloat app, it caused the issue, but then when I went back and unfroze that last app, the contact force close still happened. So, I'm going to have to try again to see what I can figure out. Anyone else tried this yet?

-SR-

PS: Note that, by unfreezing all of the frozen apps, full functionality was restored, so no permenant harm done.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Verizon bundled mobile hotspot with settings.apk by removing this you take down your system settings with it. Correct me if I'm wrong but by rooting i've experienced free tether via the Verizon mobile hotspot app.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I rooted and then started trying to freeze some bloatware apps with Titanium Backup. It seems that one or more of the apps that I froze causes a force close when I go to open the details of a contact in my contacts list. I attempted to narrow it down by unfreezing groups of apps at a time to see which app would fix it, but was unable to get that to work out because, when refreezing the final bloat app, it caused the issue, but then when I went back and unfroze that last app, the contact force close still happened. So, I'm going to have to try again to see what I can figure out. Anyone else tried this yet?

-SR-

PS: Note that, by unfreezing all of the frozen apps, full functionality was restored, so no permenant harm done.

Unfreeze the blur yahoo apk. And the yahoo messenger at the bottom of list.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Unfreeze the blur yahoo apk. And the yahoo messenger at the bottom of list.

Thanks, I ended up figuring it out and posted it here, but I also included the full list of what I froze. Then, I realized that there was already a thread about what apps people were freezing (located in the Root sub-forum), so I removed my post and moved it there.

You're right, though, the Yahoo Contacts app, specifically, is what was giving me issues, so I unfroze it.

Thanks,

-SR-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX