What does this mean?

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I read this article today.

Motorola still has some issues | Wireless - CNET News

This line stood out:

"Among the recent hiccups has been the delay in 4G LTE products. Sue said the company's decision to develop its own silicon for its LTE chipsets has put it behind key competitors such as HTC, Samsung Electronics, and LG Electronics, each of which have phones at Verizon. "

News we already knew. But what does it mean that Motorola is developing its own silicon for its LTE Chipsets. Is the reporter referring to how Motorola split into two companies, one to make phones or some manufacturing of Motorola LTE chipsets?

Forgive my noob intellect, I just don't follow some of this tech jargon. Or maybe this reporter has no idea what they're reporting on, which seems to be a common case.

Thanks!

neowarcloud

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I read this article today.

Motorola still has some issues | Wireless - CNET News

This line stood out:

"Among the recent hiccups has been the delay in 4G LTE products. Sue said the company's decision to develop its own silicon for its LTE chipsets has put it behind key competitors such as HTC, Samsung Electronics, and LG Electronics, each of which have phones at Verizon. "

News we already knew. But what does it mean that Motorola is developing its own silicon for its LTE Chipsets. Is the reporter referring to how Motorola split into two companies, one to make phones or some manufacturing of Motorola LTE chipsets?

Forgive my noob intellect, I just don't follow some of this tech jargon. Or maybe this reporter has no idea what they're reporting on, which seems to be a common case.

Thanks!

They made their own LTE chips instead of purchasing them from somewhere else....Motorola Mobility deals with all of the handset stuff...the rest of motorola deals with motos other electronics

that is what i read out of it..

Reactions: shipwrestler125

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
This is concerning on many fronts. First off I've been saying Moto has been floundering around for some time now. They are in trouble gents. Secondly if I was in the market for this handset I would seriously reconsider getting it when it first rolls out. This will be their first phone with their first LTE radio. That could spell trouble. Yes moto is the best in the business with radios but its a risk purchasing this handset.

I personally recommend for people to wait. Let others be Motorola's beta testers. If you ignore this fact just know going in you may be in for a VERY long 2 years for not being patient.

Be smart.......

Sent from my Droid

Reactions: King Howie

robwilldominate

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I think 2 weeks is long enough to figure out if there are bugs or not. If there are problems after you buy it, return it. Not that hard. I did it with the thunderbolt.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
This is concerning on many fronts. First off I've been saying Moto has been floundering around for some time now. They are in trouble gents. Secondly if I was in the market for this handset I would seriously reconsider getting it when it first rolls out. This will be their first phone with their first LTE radio. That could spell trouble. Yes moto is the best in the business with radios but its a risk purchasing this handset.

I personally recommend for people to wait. Let others be Motorola's beta testers. If you ignore this fact just know going in you may be in for a VERY long 2 years for not being patient.

Be smart.......

Sent from my Droid

This seems overly conservative. LG (Revolution), Samsung (Charge), and HTC (Thunderbolt) all put out phones with LTE radios without issue with the radio. Why is that that a company well-known for it's radio producton is the one that we should "seriously reconsider" purchasing on release?

I realize there were bugs with the TB, but those were not really LTE-related.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I think 2 weeks is long enough to figure out if there are bugs or not. If there are problems after you buy it, return it. Not that hard. I did it with the thunderbolt.

Maybe. This will make me think a little more on my purchase. Reason being, I'm not in a 4G/LTE area. So, if there is a problem with the LTE radio, I may not even know about it until I do venture into a LTE zone or I finally get it where I live. I'd say neither of these possibilities would happen within the first 14 days.

That said, as a prior Storm owner and current Tour owner, I do know that others have repeatedly returned their device due to problems. In most cases, their devices were replaced with new or refurbished units of the same model. However, if they have numerous returns, they've been given the choice of a different device as a replacement. So, it would not be a unique situation should the Bionic have LTE radio issues that people return them and get a replacement Bionic or even another phone.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
This seems overly conservative. LG (Revolution), Samsung (Charge), and HTC (Thunderbolt) all put out phones with LTE radios without issue with the radio. Why is that that a company well-known for it's radio producton is the one that we should "seriously reconsider" purchasing on release?

I realize there were bugs with the TB, but those were not really LTE-related.

I said the same thing before the Thunderbolt was released. There were delays with that one as well. The old saying "where there's smoke there's fire" applies to the Bionic. Its alreeady been canceled once and its obvious they are struggling with the tech. Remember this is not to say there will definitely be issues but its still worth noting this is their first foray into this field and it had disastrous results not too long ago. Do you really want to be a beta tester? If yes go for it but some people don't have the time to be messing with a phone with data issues and whatever other problems pop up (assuming they arise)

Its just being smart to wait it out.

Sent from my Droid

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I said the same thing before the Thunderbolt was released. There were delays with that one as well. The old saying "where there's smoke there's fire" applies to the Bionic. Its alreeady been canceled once and its obvious they are struggling with the tech. Remember this is not to say there will definitely be issues but its still worth noting this is their first foray into this field and it had disastrous results not too long ago. Do you really want to be a beta tester? If yes go for it but some people don't have the time to be messing with a phone with data issues and whatever other problems pop up (assuming they arise)

Sent from my Droid

Ha I can say that about the gs2 also seing how that still has similar issues to the gs1 but all the gs2 fanboys will never admit that. Just go check out the forums and you will see. They cancelled it to make it better since the original processor had issues. I'd put more faith in moto than in Samsung.

Reactions: robwilldominate

robwilldominate

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Not everyone wants to pay a restocking fee mind you and you are right just wait an additional 2 weeks :)

Sent from my Droid

I see your point on the restocking fee. But my own hands on experience is going to be the deciding factor on if the phone works for me or not. Whether I get it the first day its available or a month down the line. Some people having an issue might not be the case with me. So waiting to hear about other people's problems would be a waste of time.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Sent from my Droid

I plan to preorder it. Yeah, I realize I'm volunteering to be Moto's unpaid beta tester by doing this but I know this up front and am at peace with it.

Part of the reason why I'm willing to give it a shot is that this thing has been pushed back so much - that Moto knows the speed of the marketplace and has been willing to make the sacrifice of a good number of sales to put out a quality product. The fact that the Bionic is so close to release means that it has been able to clear hurdles that previous iterations couldn't.

Another thing is that while I like my D1, in many ways the lack of performance has worn thin. I would love to have something that just "snaps to". A phone where I can run live wallpapers on it without worrying about the slowdown it will create. A phone that will re-render the home screen in under 2 seconds. At this point I can't really turn back - mentally I've committed to upgrading and I cannot be content with my D1 anymore.

LTE is new, and new means yes, there will be and are problems with devices and even with the network itself as we have seen.

Yeah, if this thing stinks on ice I will be taking it back.. yeah, the restocking fee and so on.. so far no phone I have ever gotten w/the Moto badge on it has been so bad as to compel return.

I plan to roll the dice and take my chances. I'll be reporting from those front lines when that day comes.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Droid

Fair enough. From my understanding what was the "Bionic" that appeared at CES and got cancelled does not exist anymore. They then took technology that was working in the Targa and cannibalized it into the "Bionic" that is now being released. The point is a fair one, but assuming the reports are correct, it was the combination of Tegra 2 and LTE which were causing issues which resulted in the original Bionic being scrapped. Theoretically the new Bionic using OMAP 4430/4460 avoids those issues altogether and thats why its now being released.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough. From my understanding what was the "Bionic" that appeared at CES and got cancelled does not exist anymore. They then took technology that was working in the Targa and cannibalized it into the "Bionic" that is now being released. The point is a fair one, but assuming the reports are correct, it was the combination of Tegra 2 and LTE which were causing issues which resulted in the original Bionic being scrapped. Theoretically the new Bionic using OMAP 4430/4460 avoids those issues altogether and thats why its now being released.

That's not neccesarily true. The whole Tegra2/LTE issue was never confirmed. Quite the opposite, jha let nvidia off the hook and Nvidia has claimed all along their chip was not the problem. Now its clear it is in fact on motos end.

Sent from my Droid

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Dang guys don't get all defensive. The OP just posted some useful info. Do what you will with it.

Sent from my Droid

I wouldn't describe myself as defensive really. Your observations/concerns are valid and well founded. Thing is if we were really that concerned about everything being rock stable and crash proof we'd be buying our Droid 1's right about now.

Most of what that article contained was known. The Moto developing their own LTE chipset was new.

I'm sure Jha had his reasons for doing this. Hopefully in the fullness of time we'll get the "inside skinny" on why this decision was made. Either way, it is done and we haven't really seen this thing on the racetrack - for all we know it could blow the doors off the other LTE radios out there.. but then again it could also blow up on the starting line! :)