Pentile Screen Opinion/Topic

androidjunkie30

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
So I've had my samsung epic since launch and its coming up on a year and I'm about to switch to verizon( droid bionic or gs2) and everybodys like the pentile display is crappy and ugly but its really not that bad. It is a little pixelated if you look at your phone from 4 inches away. Now anyone who uses there phone that close shouldn't have a smartphone. If it matters that much to someof you go get a iphone 4 or ipod touch 4. Now I know its not the best looking screen but its not as terrible as some of you make it. So unless you guys use your phone right in front of your face while you focus on the pixels and are using it like they are your pair of glasses than you should be fine. You can only notice a little bit of pixelation on large, bold text and even then its not terrible. Mind you this is on my epic with a lower resolution than some of you complaining about the droid 3 so I know that's not as bad so for those of you who haven't seen a pentile display there not bad, it won't affect your experience unless like I send you use your phone 5 inches away.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: Pentile Opinion/Topic

I think the whole pentile thing is about 7 steps beyond ridiculous. I've spent about 45 minutes playing with the Atrix, the X2 and the D3 and i didn't see even the slightest pixelation. I tried to look at whatever people were saying was bad ie the battery icon, and i saw nothing. I thought it was an incredibly gorgeous display. But I guess I'm just one of those silly people that sees what I see and not what everyone else says i should see

Reactions: cjsmoove

Pixel

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

I saw the DX2 screen next to the Thunderbolt and the Charge's screen and it looked pretty bad in comparison. I still want the Bionic as I care more about how it performs on the inside than on the outside. Plus I'll probably get used to it as it won't be side-by-side with other displays when I'm using it.

androidjunkie30

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
I think the whole pentile thing is about 7 steps beyond ridiculous. I've spent about 45 minutes playing with the Atrix, the X2 and the D3 and i didn't see even the slightest pixelation. I tried to look at whatever people were saying was bad ie the battery icon, and i saw nothing. I thought it was an incredibly gorgeous display. But I guess I'm just one of those silly people that sees what I see and not what everyone else says i should see
See I knew I wasn't the only one but that's what I'm trying to say its only noticeable if you focus on it

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site

Yeah I knew that but just wanted to mention that even a non pentile screen sometimes you can see pixels. I personally have looked at Dx2 and D3 screens and didn't see anything wrong with them.

bardol

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site

My wife has a DX2 and I definitely can notice the small grid like pattern on things line the battery icon that is not present on my venerable OG Droid's screen. However to me, unless your actively looking for it, it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. If the Bionic has a pentile screen (which it probably will) it won't effect my decision one bit. I'll still be ordering as soon as it becomes available. :D

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site

I was playing with a Droid 3 and it seemed fine. You guys blow it out of proportion. Sure, when Kellen shoved a macro lens up to the screen it won't look great, but none of use are going to be getting that close to the device. I have a Charge right now so sure, moving to a Pentile screen the change may be more pronounced, but I'm sure it'll be ok. I am not expecting ANY screen to be as nice as the one on the Charge. Now, maybe Motorola will surprise everyone and release it with a "better" Pentile. Who knows? I have read, though, that their current Pentile helps save battery, and with a 4G device, I am all for that. I just hope it looks good like the D3, even though this is the size of the DX2.

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

You know what the funny thing is? The Nexus One, early Droid Incredible and the GS1 phones all had pentile screens. No one seemed to complain about them then.

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

If anyone is curious on reading a decent breakdown of the DX2's RGBW pentile check out AnandTech's analysis of the screen.

For those of you who want to dismiss it offhand, the review says that RGBW pentile > RGBG pentile (previously used on SAMOLED Samsungs) and that he actually finds reading webpages quite nice. The normal red/green caveats still apply of course.

If you want to here AnandTech's comments on SAMOLED+ (including his complaint about the overheating issue, which I think is a bit overblown) click here. That also provides a good description of what RGBG pentile is.

The review of the Charge includes these two comments:

The result is better informational efficiency - fewer subpixels to convey the perception of the same image. RG-BG PenTile is great in practice for things with organic structure, and not good for one pixel thick graphics, lines, or UI elements. Unfortunately, that includes text. Note that RGBW PenTile for LCD displays actually renders text brilliantly, but that’s a discussion for the Droid X2 review.

The Charge’s display is exactly the same as what’s being used in the Galaxy S 2 - both are 4.3” WVGA 800x480 SAMOLED+. I feel like 4.3” is as big as one really should go with WVGA, and having seen qHD screens that are the same size, I find myself wishing that Samsung somehow had been able to make a qHD SAMOLED+ display. Alas, one can’t have one’s cake and eat it too, at least not yet.

Again, just one person's opinion. I've repeatedly said that pentile doesn't bother me. I like qHD, but I also like the SAMOLED+ screen. I think it's been made a bigger deal of than it is for a lot of people and I think a lot of people simply latch onto "pentile" and don't understand exactly what they are critiquing. Each screen has its benefits and drawbacks. Take a look at white point tracking on a SAMOLED+ if you don't think each does.

In the end, to each their own. If you don't like a screen I definitely wouldn't suggest buying the phone.

Reactions: hvalergir and 0pusX

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar