07-26-2011 03:01 PM
38 12
tools
    Sorry, I am lost...what do you mean? I only see Photon pictures?
    Ok guys, first up this is a massive stretch so no flames please. I was looking at this article (If the DROID Bionic Ends Up Being Verizons Version of the Motorola Photon 4G, Will You Be Disappointed? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog) which happened to have a big picture of the Photon front and center. You can see in the mid-left of the picture, a tweet from Scott Wilke that says "Tomorrow is our big launch - wish me luck everyone." A quick search of Scott Wilke took me to his linkedin page (Scott Wilke | LinkedIn) where it says that he is a product manager for Motorola Mobile Devices and has been at that position for 16 years (essentially a senior employee). Now if you look at the top left, the data is Thursday, August 11th. Assuming the Photon is released on July 31st, could this possibly be the release of the Bionic. After all, you would think that they would have someone who has been with their company for a while handle what should be a very important product for Motorola.

Anybody have comments or opinions on this? I still feel that its a bit of a stretch, and perhaps even a little prank from Motorola.
    It was in response to the OP's question where they linked the Photon image that is the last on the right of the page I linked. I was just pointing out that IF this were Moto's way of hiding hints at the Bionic's release that it is thorough and very inconspicuous.
    07-26-2011 01:41 PM
    It was in response to the OP's question where they linked the Photon image that is the last on the right of the page I linked. I was just pointing out that IF this were Moto's way of hiding hints at the Bionic's release that it is thorough and very inconspicuous.
    That whole "hidden reference" thing in that Photon pic is a bit odd...... The date on the phone is Aug 11th, yet the post is talking about a release "tomorrow", which would be a release date of Aug 12th (in theory) which is a Friday......which from all other indications doesn't jive with VZW typically doing Thursday releases.....just my 2 cents though.

I'm still hoping that Aug 4th date is legit, but now all of this talk about the Nexus Prime coming to VZW and possibly releasing in October.......might be worth the wait.
    07-26-2011 01:45 PM
    That whole "hidden reference" thing in that Photon pic is a bit odd...... The date on the phone is Aug 11th, yet the post is talking about a release "tomorrow", which would be a release date of Aug 12th (in theory) which is a Friday......which from all other indications doesn't jive with VZW typically doing Thursday releases.....just my 2 cents though.

I'm still hoping that Aug 4th date is legit, but now all of this talk about the Nexus Prime coming to VZW and possibly releasing in October.......might be worth the wait.
    The "tomorrow" reference caught my eye as well. I have been looking for Friday Aug 12 references online but coming up a little short. Haven't spent too much time on it at current as I'm at work. I did however find that the Droid 2 was launched on Aug 11 2010. Maybe an anniversary release?
    07-26-2011 01:53 PM
    Jasper they will market it for sure but since the iPhone has arrived I wouldn't expect anything spectacular. I hope they do surprise me and get out a big push for the Bionic but I don't see it happening. Expect a marketing campaign but without any fireworks.

Android is their stepchild
    07-26-2011 02:04 PM
    Jasper they will market it for sure but since the iPhone has arrived I wouldn't expect anything spectacular. I hope they do surprise me and get out a big push for the Bionic but I don't see it happening. Expect a marketing campaign but without any fireworks.

Android is their stepchild
    I agree wholeheartedly with this. Android and the Droid lineup is no longer Verizon's flagship. Ever since the iPhone, Verizon has hardly promoted any Android phones. They're more worried about promoting their LTE network and iPhone now. The thing that got me interested in Android was the fact that I wasn't a fan of iPhone in the first place and then I saw the OG Droid commercials. That put the icing on the cake. The Bionic won't have nearly the same advertising.
    07-26-2011 02:10 PM

I am running into this problem now myself but then again if you don't pull the trigger on something because of the next best thing you never will but still for as long as we have waited with the delays.....sometimes too long is too long. This delay may have pushed them in with some other big dogs they may not wanted to have. Time will tell indeed.
    07-26-2011 02:23 PM
    I agree wholeheartedly with this. Android and the Droid lineup is no longer Verizon's flagship. Ever since the iPhone, Verizon has hardly promoted any Android phones. They're more worried about promoting their LTE network and iPhone now.
    Which is funny since the iPhone isn't compatible with it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    eygraber and HatchetBurial like this.
    07-26-2011 02:24 PM
    I am running into this problem now myself but then again if you don't pull the trigger on something because of the next best thing you never will but still for as long as we have waited with the delays.....sometimes too long is too long. This delay may have pushed them in with some other big dogs they may not wanted to have. Time will tell indeed.
    Exactly! We'd be waiting forever and never buy anything! Look how long the Bionic's been delayed...this next great phone could easily be delayed until the end of the year or 1st Quarter 2012!
    07-26-2011 02:26 PM
    Which is funny since the iPhone isn't compatible with it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Yes I know and the next iPhone likely won't be either. Just another way Apple is going to be trailing behind.
    07-26-2011 02:26 PM
    Exactly! We'd be waiting forever and never buy anything! Look how long the Bionic's been delayed...this next great phone could easily be delayed until the end of the year or 1st Quarter 2012!
    Yeah but I think the thing thats going to suck is that because of the delay the bionic had it may have been pushed too close to that next biggest thing (aka Nexus Prime) and if everything lines up the way its been speculated up to this point then what would have been the point. It really sucks sometimes to be in the tech know instead of some joe random on the street who doesn't know any better.
    07-26-2011 02:41 PM

Yeah I noticed that too. I was trying to think of a good explanation for it but I had none
    07-26-2011 02:42 PM
    I've long been of the opinion that the delay was because of the LTE chip and dual core processor not working well (has this ever been confirmed by Motorola/Verizon?) and that the Bionic would be released shortly after the Xoom got its LTE upgrade, since that would mean that the issues had been worked out. That being said, if the Xoom gets its LTE upgrade in September (Confirmed: XOOM 4G LTE Upgrade Available in September, Emails to Customers Rolling Out Today (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog) does that mean that the Bionic won't be out until September? I for one hope NOT!
    07-26-2011 02:58 PM

I completely agree with you on the "always waiting for the next big thing part". I'm not entirely into that category myself though. I'm not really sitting on an upgrade at this point like I know many others that have been in the forums are currently. I'm not due for upgrade on my line (though we do have one line that is currently on our family plan) until mid/late August. So timing wise I'm hoping that the Bionic will be out and several reviews will have been done by that point so that I can decide whether or not it's worth going ahead to get at that time, or waiting until one of the other lines on our plan is due in November and using that one and using the Aug on something someone else wants at that time....
    07-26-2011 03:01 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD