Moto Insider: 9/1

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
"Despite the consistent rumors we've been hearing so far about a 8/4 Motorola DROID BIONIC launch, the latest "insider tip" from Motorola reps claims that Verizon's stores will be getting the manufacturer's first LTE handset around 9/1."

When the article itself has to put "insider tip" in quotation marks... just take it with a grain of salt is all I'm saying.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

TeeSquar

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Another report quoting a 9/1 release, this time from Phone Arena. If true (and I believe it is), I'm officially jumping off the Bionic train and going with the GS2 or Prime.

Latest rumor pegs the Motorola DROID BIONIC for early September launch - Phone Arena

+1
If I have to wait, what's a little longer if it means the Sammy GalS2 ... caveat being 4G on the Sammy, which I think it will have. These slips and slides on the Bionic release has my gut feeling that Moto has been running into problems with the design.

Last edited:

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
+1
If I have to wait, what's a little longer if it means the Sammy GalS2 ... caveat being 4G on the Sammy, which I think it will have. These slips and slides on the Bionic release has my gut feeling that Moto has been running into problems with the design.

They had severe enough problems on the Etna/Bionic that it was completely scrapped. There has been no "slip or slide" in the targeted release for the Targa/Bionic. It was always slated by Motorola as a late Q3 device.

People forget that the Targa was a completely different phone that was intended to come out after the original Bionic released under a different name. VZW decided to give it the Droid Bionic moniker after the Etna was cancelled to try and save some face after the hoopla regarding the Bionic at CES.

Reactions: jroc and GBH2

Friend-O

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
The source for this article is Droid-Life - so this is just a rehash of that information from yesterday. Not saying it's wrong, just not new confirmation.

Gotcha. Didn't even notice that. Thanks for clarifying. Guess this is just another of the many useless threads here, lol.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
They had severe enough problems on the Etna/Bionic that it was completely scrapped. There has been no "slip or slide" in the targeted release for the Targa/Bionic. It was always slated by Motorola as a late Q3 device.

People forget that the Targa was a completely different phone that was intended to come out after the original Bionic released under a different name. VZW decided to give it the Droid Bionic moniker after the Etna was cancelled to try and save some face after the hoopla regarding the Bionic at CES.

This is sad and hopeful. Sad because our rumors are depicting the new bionic is essentially the etna with a webtop dock and more ram. I find it disheartening that a device that was planned to be an upgrade after the etna offers relatively little more.

But since Moto has been ungodly silent on the specs perhaps the targa is superior to the etna model in more than just ram and sets itself up to handle the iphone 5, prime and other phone not allowed to mention adequately.

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
This is sad and hopeful. Sad because our rumors are depicting the new bionic is essentially the etna with a webtop dock and more ram. I find it disheartening that a device that was planned to be an upgrade after the etna offers relatively little more.

But since Moto has been ungodly silent on the specs perhaps the targa is superior to the etna model in more than just ram and sets itself up to handle the iphone 5, prime and other phone not allowed to mention adequately.

Other than rumors of some devices with 720P displays there is no phone on the horizon that I have heard of that is significantly different from the Bionic.

SnydersWeb

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

I can't and don't really fault Moto for killing the Etna/Bionic but I agree with you - Moto was totally open and out with the Etna well before its release on the Targa they've gone totally "skunkworks" on it.

It has definitely created a bit of frustration with Motorola. I would like to be a fan of Motorola but holy crap they make it hard to be! It's not like they're the "little engine that could", they're a large 75+ year old company who should at least know how to execute.

cmplxsmplcty

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone considered that 9/1 is a holiday weekend? Also the last holiday of the summer and sales would be really poor that weekend. Just a thought it seems stupid to release a phone THAT Thursday.

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

Targa > Etna
OMAP 4430 > Tegra 2
OMAP 4430 PowerVR SGX540 GPU > Tegra 2 GPU
1 GB DDR2 RAM > 512GB DDR2 RAM
OMAP 4430 dual-channel LPDDR2 memory controller > Tegra 2 single channel controller
etc.

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Targa > Etna
OMAP 4430 > Tegra 2
OMAP 4430 dual-channel LPDDR2 memory controller > Tegra 2 single channel controller
etc.
And to add to the post above, no detailed specs have been offically announced as of yet. Yes we know the above but thats all we really know. Its still up in the air with what speed the processors will actually be running at and the battery size as well is still up in the air. I still think that this phone will be worth the wait, and I plan on waiting it out. I have been a moto person since Ive had cell phones, and will continue to be one cause they make really good phones.

DroidnewVZ

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
From Moto insider: The Moto Droid bionic will release on 8/25 and will feature a Core i7 processor with a 6.7" fold out screen. It will have a built in projector to replicate screen image on a wall up to 30 yards away. It will have 6gb of DDR 3 RAM with a pre-installed 128gb Micro-SD card.

**It will be free for the first 100 callers.

See....I can make up rumors too!

Nothing is happening with this phone until VZ and Moto say so. I think we can all cool our jets until an official release is made. The rumor mill is putting me off completely. I may hold out for this phone, but I may not. Just remember that you have this device for 2 years. A few weeks and careful consideration won't kill any one of us.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

We understand your logic and what you are saying, BUT - Moto promised us a Verizon LTE phone (Etna/Targa/Bionic, whatever) and we are simply saying they should have produce one by now. If HTC, Samsung, and LG can do it, then Moto certainly should be able to do so...hence our frustration. Then you add to that all of these "hints" thrown around and it really drags you down. Just saying...:)

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
^Well to be fair....Moto could just slapped the phone together and gave it to use....even if it was gonna be a halfway decent phone. See: Thunderbolt..(Dont know how it is now but its a a mess when it launched..)

They didnt decide to go in a different direction for nothing. Like they didnt decide to go with OMAP for nothing even tho they had 2 phones and a tablet using Tegra 2 already out.

They made those 2 decisions for a reason. Hope it was a good reason....cuz ppl are getting impatient...lol

I dont even spend time in the DX2 sections anymore. Even tho I dont want a physical keyboard anymore...I would get the Droid 3 over the DX2. And I was excited about the DX2.

Jasper

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Targa > Etna
OMAP 4430 > Tegra 2
etc.

Okay, two things:
1.) Most of what you state is a matter of opinion on which is better, OMAP is better than Tegra 2??... I am not saying I disagree but there are some that do.
2.) Other than more Ram how the hell would you market a phone that is from the same manufacturer, on the same carrier, both have LTE, has the same camera's front and rear, both are dual core, both have 4.3" screen???

I just doesn't make sense to me, they are waaaay too similar for the general public. I agree that OMAP is probably all around better, but not enough to make an almost identical phone on the same carrier.

irl Panda

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay, two things:
1.) Most of what you state is a matter of opinion on which is better, OMAP is better than Tegra 2??... I am not saying I disagree but there are some that do.
2.) Other than more Ram how the hell would you market a phone that is from the same manufacturer, on the same carrier, both have LTE, has the same camera's front and rear, both are dual core, both have 4.3" screen???

I just doesn't make sense to me, they are waaaay too similar for the general public. I agree that OMAP is probably all around better, but not enough to make an almost identical phone on the same carrier.

Fact > Opinion

Although they probably perform somewhat similar, specs don't lie. Better is better. Verizon can honestly make up whatever they want to advertise to the public, it's not like they knew it was coming out anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm