Droid Bionic coming in September

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The dev scene for the fascinate was completly miniscule the fact that the phone was sold all over the world didn't seem to help at all, how is this going to be different?
Galaxy S 2 is a whole other beast. Times have changed. Samsung has made inroads on the Dev scene and their offering to CM a while back (free dev phone) has put them on the map. Look at the support the GS2 is getting and multiply that by a release across carriers here in the US. Thats huge. You can bet the boys over at CM and others will be having a field day with this unit. It will be open season on it. It's simple logic.

Bionic will have it's support as well no doubt. But it's going to be seriously lagging behind the other devices. This will be the price you pay for buying a locked down device. If you don't care about "hacking" you will be fine but if you do, you may want to think twice about buying the Bionic.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Will the Bionic allow user to multi-task the way the Iphone does?
Will user be able to talk and surf at the same time? :cool:

Welcome to Android Central. I'm assuming you are new to Android or are looking into it. You will find lots of good information here.
As far as your questions:the iPhone got the idea for multitasking from Android, but Android does it much much better.
If you are in a 4g area, the Bionic will allow you to talk and surf at the same time. If you are not in a 4g area, Android's multitasking ability will allow you to surf using WiFi while talking on the phone. We don't yet know if you'll be able to surf and talk at the same time if you are not in a 4g area and don't have access to WiFi. That info hasn't been released yet.

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
iOS does not have true multitasking. It allows a few select processes to run in the background, but its nothing like real multitasking. Just try swapping to your browser while using Tapatalk to write in this thread and you will see.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy S 2 is a whole other beast. Times have changed. Samsung has made inroads on the Dev scene and their offering to CM a while back (free dev phone) has put them on the map. Look at the support the GS2 is getting and multiply that by a release across carriers here in the US. Thats huge. You can bet the boys over at CM and others will be having a field day with this unit. It will be open season on it. It's simple logic.

Bionic will have it's support as well no doubt. But it's going to be seriously lagging behind the other devices. This will be the price you pay for buying a locked down device. If you don't care about "hacking" you will be fine but if you do, you may want to think twice about buying the Bionic.

Why the assumption that the Bionic will be locked down? Moto made the announcement that beginning late 2011 phones will be unlocked, and the Targa was originally scheduled for late 2011. It may have been the plan all along that the Targa would be the first unlocked phone.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Why the assumption that the Bionic will be locked down? Moto made the announcement that beginning late 2011 phones will be unlocked, and the Targa was originally scheduled for late 2011. It may have been the plan all along that the Targa would be the first unlocked phone.
I personally believe that any handset of theirs thats running Blur/their proprietary files will NEVER be unlocked by them. They may release a Vanilla device( ICS ) in the future and open it up but I cannot ever see them allowing full access to their handsets as long as it's running their UI.

I may be wrong, but thats my opinion.

This leaves the door open for an early rumor that I heard about the Targa (before it became the Bionic) being a Vanilla device.

I heard it was PROBABLY going to be Vanilla and unlocked.

anon(387460)

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site

From what I understand and I could be wrong, Verizon Has a big say in unlocking devices as well, so it may not even be held up on Moto's end.

michaelkwade

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say i'm new to Android. I was one of the first to buy the original Droid the first day it came out 2 years ago. I just don't understand why the iOS has limitations to multi-tasking. What is preventing Android phones from multi-tasking the way the iPhone does?
My Droid cannot surf the web while talking on the phone...:-[

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say i'm new to Android. I was one of the first to buy the original Droid the first day it came out 2 years ago. I just don't understand why the iOS has limitations to multi-tasking. What is preventing Android phones from multi-tasking the way the iPhone does?
My Droid cannot surf the web while talking on the phone...:-[

You have a lot to learn.

Multi-tasking is completely different from surfing the web while talking on the phone.

Presently, 3G phones on Verizon's CDMA network, are unable to talk and surf at the same time due to NETWORK limitations. It has absolutely nothing to do with the multi-tasking ability of Motorola phones or phones running Android.

As stated previously, Verizon LTE phones will allow for talking and surfing over LTE and Wifi.

Android allows true multi-tasking, iPhone does not, this is one of the ways they achieve smooth performance.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
You have a lot to learn.

Multi-tasking is completely different from surfing the web while talking on the phone.

Presently, 3G phones on Verizon's CDMA network, are unable to talk and surf at the same time due to NETWORK limitations. It has absolutely nothing to do with the multi-tasking ability of Motorola phones or phones running Android.

As stated previously, Verizon LTE phones will allow for talking and surfing over LTE and Wifi.

Android allows true multi-tasking, iPhone does not, this is one of the ways they achieve smooth performance.

Basically its not iOS vs Android that allows talking and surfing, its the phone and network. For example, Verizon's iPhone does not allow you to surf and talk at the same time.
All android phones are capable of talking and surfing however because of their ability to multitask, but as mentioned earlier for almost every android phone it has to be either 4g or WiFi, and there are not many 4g phones. I also have an OG Droid and I can talk and surf, but only over WiFi

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It's actually not even a network limitation anymore. It's a hardware limitation. Verizon's network can support SVDO now, but it has to be built into the phone. This is why the Thunderbolt can surf while you're talking even when 4G isn't available. It's the only phone on Verizon capable of it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Soapinmouth

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Maybe i missed something, but your saying the only thing that changed this time around is they gave the cm team a gs2? That.alone is going to change the tides of the dev community? The cm team had a sgs1 too so Im not sure how that's much different. We can all make our predictions though, nobody really knows for sure. I did say that the bionic is more likely to fall behind, I just was saying it's not impossible fot it to be ahead like some are making it out to be.

The way I see it, it's just dejavu of when the DX was first released, we all knew it had a locked bootloader and were warned that it wouldn't be touched by the devs in protest. Alot of devs even sold their dx in outrage and bought fascinates. The dx ended up with miui omfgb cm7 while the fascinate is just getting cm7.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
It's actually not even a network limitation anymore. It's a hardware limitation. Verizon's network can support SVDO now, but it has to be built into the phone. This is why the Thunderbolt can surf while you're talking even when 4G isn't available. It's the only phone on Verizon capable of it.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Then hopefully the Droid Bionic will have that neat little feature too :). Especially since we don't get 4G here in Santa Barbara until late Fall or so.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
@DroidBionic tweeted in the early morning hours, "The Droid Bionic is coming very soon. I know we've been saying that but it's here." Where, I don't know...not on Verizon's website for order!

tmacfan4321

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
@DroidBionic tweeted in the early morning hours, "The Droid Bionic is coming very soon. I know we've been saying that but it's here." Where, I don't know...not on Verizon's website for order!
That twitter page looks really sketchy. There are typos everywhere (punctuation, mostly) and there's no real verification that it is a Motorola controlled twitter account. I want to believe, but I can't.

http://twitter.com/#!/droidbionic